OT - International Rules Football between Australia and Ireland

sprocketboy

Surrounded by Donkey Fans
Reaction score
Tomorrow at Croke Park in Dublin there will be an All-Star match between Australian Rules Footballers and Gaelic Rules Footballers in a game known as "International Rules Football."

I've been a fan of the Hawthorn Hawks in the Australian Football League (AFL) since 1984, and this hybrid game intrigues me. They use a round ball like the Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA) does, but they allow 1-point "behind" scores like the AFL does. Here is a summary of rules on the AFL.au website: Link

If you've never watched either game, the rules are not that difficult to learn, and the athleticism is amazing. Unlike soccer, there is plenty of scoring. Unlike rugby, there are plenty of big plays that move the ball half the length of the field or more. And unlike American Football, there are not so many stoppages ... you have to be able to catch, kick, tackle, and run continuously to play either the Aussie or Irish game effectively.

I'm not saying this sport is any better than the NFL. It's just different, and I've found the Aussie game to be worth following for the last 30+ years.

I just wish that the AFL.au site was broadcasting tomorrow's International Rules game over their website. I'd wake up early (or stay up late) for that. :sulk:

Go Hawthorn Hawks.
Go County Clare (even though they're in the GAA's third division).

Some of my family members discovered, though doing genealogical research, that the first game for what is now known as the Kilconly GAA team was a match back in the 1890's from which the proceeds went to help my great Grandmother Bridgit and her kids after they were evicted from their home in Tuam by a land agent.

I don't really understand the sport, but if I ever get back over there I'd like to try and attend a match and to try to figure out a way to partially repay them for their kindness some 125 years ago.

Better late than never, but I just found out about it.

:)

All it used to be was just a mad brawl ROFL

To be expected when you put the 30 Irish and Australian players on a field!

There were games when the fighting went on for a age before the game even started!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEWVajd7hUI

So, which is more dangerous, an International Rules Test Match, or a South Korean Parliament debate? :shoot::thwak:Kensil

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/v6ZnVGrWegM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Some of my family members discovered, though doing genealogical research, that the first game for what is now known as the Kilconly GAA team was a match back in the 1890's from which the proceeds went to help my great Grandmother Bridgit and her kids after they were evicted from their home in Tuam by a land agent.

I don't really understand the sport, but if I ever get back over there I'd like to try and attend a match and to try to figure out a way to partially repay them for their kindness some 125 years ago.

Better late than never, but I just found out about it.

:)

I'm looking at the Allianz Football League page on GAA.ie, and I'm not seeing Kilconly in any of the Divisions.

This website is kind of clunky; you have to select the different divisions individually, then click on each 'View League Table' tab to see last year's standings for each division.

I'm not sure why they don't have one big table showing all the divisions together. Maybe there's a sports site in the .ie domain that is easier to use.:shrug_n:

The one thing that's interesting about this league is that at the end of the season, the top two teams in each division are promoted, and the bottom two teams in each division are demoted.

I was going to say that maybe the NFL should try that, but with free agency, a team like the Panthers can go from winning a division with a losing record to undefeated in one season, so it really wouldn't work over here.

Well, it was a close match, but the Irish prevailed.

Final Score: IRE 56, AUS 52.

Last week, the coach of the Hawthorn Hawks and Team Australia (Alastair Clarkson) talked about using the Jets' facility to train while in America, and about the possibility of bringing an International test to New York next year.

Coach Clarkson has lead his team to the last four Australian Rules Grand Finals (think: Australian Super Bowl), and has won the last three. He's pretty much the Bill Belichick of Down Under.

Link to Clarkson interview

Link to game summary

Go on you Irish beauties!!!!!

While you're here ... my understanding of the GAA Game is that a goal counts for 3 points and an over for 1. In the International Game, a behind is 1 point, an over is 3, and a goal is 6.

I think the GAA is right by setting the goal:eek:ver points ratio to 3:1, because it seems to me that scoring a goal is at least three times more difficult than scoring an over, and there are probably reams of statistics from past GAA play to back up that claim.

In light of that, has there ever been any serious discussion about raising a goal to be worth 9 points instead of 6? Alternatively, the points ratio for goal:eek:ver:behind could be set at 6:2:1. :shrug:

Edit: I found a webpage on rte.ie that shows the standings and results for all four divisions in one table.

Go Clare!

While you're here ... my understanding of the GAA Game is that a goal counts for 3 points and an over for 1. In the International Game, a behind is 1 point, an over is 3, and a goal is 6.

I think the GAA is right by setting the goal:eek:ver points ratio to 3:1, because it seems to me that scoring a goal is at least three times more difficult than scoring an over, and there are probably reams of statistics from past GAA play to back up that claim.

In light of that, has there ever been any serious discussion about raising a goal to be worth 9 points instead of 6? Alternatively, the points ratio for goal:eek:ver:behind could be set at 6:2:1. :shrug:

Edit: I found a webpage on rte.ie that shows the standings and results for all four divisions in one table.

Go Clare!

That's correct. In both Gaelic Football and Hurling, a point is one point and a goal is worth three. A goal is a lot harder to come by. The goal is actually smaller than a soccer goal.

The field area is huge far bigger than a US football or soccer or rugby field. And it's 15 players.

The set up is typically a goalkeeper then three at the back called the full back line, three ahead of them called the half back line, two in Midfield who are usually the tallest players on the side. Then you have the players ahead of them called the half forward line and finally the three players at the front who are the full forward line who are usually the skilled, quickest players.

Hurling is a great sport, It's the fastest field sport in the world. Clare is a Hurling county, far more popular than gaelic football there.

There's a great story where some US Army vets who returned from Iraq and Afghanistan, took up the sport after passing through Shannon Airport (in Clare) and formed a team called the Barley House Wolves. They love the game and found it a great way to keep in touch after they came home from combat.

A documentary was made about them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVIa7HaHC7g

barley-house-wolves4.jpg

Hurling+US+Army.jpg

BHW-Premier-Poster.jpg

I've never watched Hurling before. It looks like fun. I have to say, though, there's a fine line between Bravery and Insanity, and those guys who Hurl without a helmet crossed that border miles ago. :dith:

<iframe width="1344" height="840" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TmzivRetelE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

By the way, there was a big hurling game in Fenway park today! Between Dublin and Galways.

There was a fantastic all out brawl as well!!

fight.jpg

1082597.jpg

But are they all drinking together as we speak to cement the international bond?

Tough call. :party:

Cheers, :toast:

By the way, there was a big hurling game in Fenway park today! Between Dublin and Galways.

There was a fantastic all out brawl as well!!

That's one way to attract a crowd from the Bruins' fanbase. :bruins:

I'm looking at the Allianz Football League page on GAA.ie, and I'm not seeing Kilconly in any of the Divisions.

This website is kind of clunky; you have to select the different divisions individually, then click on each 'View League Table' tab to see last year's standings for each division.

I'm not sure why they don't have one big table showing all the divisions together. Maybe there's a sports site in the .ie domain that is easier to use.:shrug_n:

The one thing that's interesting about this league is that at the end of the season, the top two teams in each division are promoted, and the bottom two teams in each division are demoted.

I was going to say that maybe the NFL should try that, but with free agency, a team like the Panthers can go from winning a division with a losing record to undefeated in one season, so it really wouldn't work over here.

Was there a Cill Chonlag Clg? The original name in gaelic, I guess.

I don't know anything about what league they are in or how it all works over there other than they "went Senior" a few seasons ago and had to struggle to maintain that status this season.

Maybe there is some other league than Allianz. ? Beats me, but they are still a real team. Here is their facebook page not that it is terribly helpful to figure out much of anything.

https://www.facebook.com/Kilconly.GAA/info/

Near as I can figure these sort of clubs are not real big. Maybe something like semi-pro football over here. They probably play in front of girlfriends and family.

Was there a Cill Chonlag Clg? The original name in gaelic, I guess.

I don't know anything about what league they are in or how it all works over there other than they "went Senior" a few seasons ago and had to struggle to maintain that status this season.

Maybe there is some other league than Allianz. ? Beats me, but they are still a real team. Here is their facebook page not that it is terribly helpful to figure out much of anything.

https://www.facebook.com/Kilconly.GAA/info/

Near as I can figure these sort of clubs are not real big. Maybe something like semi-pro football over here. They probably play in front of girlfriends and family.

Well, I'm seeing an "All-Ireland Senior League" and an "Allianz League" on the GAA.ie site.

Here is a link to a page about the All-Ireland Senior League for GAA Football. I'm not sure where they fit in the overall hierarchy, but I would guess that the Allianz League is the highest and the Senior League is second-highest. :shrug:

In any case, given that they only play 5-7 matches before the playoff round, I doubt that many players are doing much more than covering their expenses, let alone making their primary living playing this sport.

The team on that link you provided looks like kids around Little League age.

Back