OT: To elope or not to elope

i had

we got married in the church was very little not formal. just in front of a few family.Then we had a big party in the back yeard. Good food music and was simple. Nothing fancy just simple. just do what you two want dont let family tell you what to do.. good luck dude.:)

TrueBeliever said:

We toyed with the idea of going to Vegas

I've done about 1,000 weddings in the Boston area, only done one in Red Rock Canyon, Vegas. If you go there, I could very possibly volunteer to photograph it for you as I need some specific samples for a future (soon I hope) move to Vegas. I'm serious.

Is it still elopeing if there's nobody to invite?

T373773A.jpg

Re: Re: OT: To elope or not to elope

joephoto said:
I've done about 1,000 weddings in the Boston area, only done one in Red Rock Canyon, Vegas. If you go there, I could very possibly volunteer to photograph it for you as I need some specific samples for a future (soon I hope) move to Vegas. I'm serious.

Clean out your PM message box so we can talk about this further. Thank you.

Re: Re: Re: OT: To elope or not to elope

TrueBeliever said:
Clean out your PM message box so we can talk about this further. Thank you.
Gee, people were telling me it was full, I guess they were right. I hardly use it. I'm out for the night, be back late.

Joephoto, your Vegas Photographer

Well I wrote a polite yet firm, diplomatic yet assertive letter to Mom on Friday and mailed it, so unless it got lost by the Postal Service she got it yesterday (Saturday). No word yet. My mother, the drama queen.

I suppose once again I'm just the ungrateful little ba$tard of the family. I said before, it's not like they wrote me out a check and I just left. Parents.

Just throwing my 1 cent in here... (Who can afford to throw 2 cents in these days anymore?)

I'll probably never get married, (heck.. I'm having a hard enough timne as it is just getting a date!) but if I ever do.. my family is so messed up and such a potential for embarrassment and ruined memories on what should be a joyous wonderful occaision that I FULLY plan on eloping.

My mother is a total nutjob who I have never gotten along with, my Father is divorced from my Mother and they hate each other with a passion, I don't know ANYTHING about my sister (she's ridiculously quiet) and my brother is just plain weird.. and oh yeah, he hates my father (Although he's the only one out of all of them that I would actually want there, because he's a lot of fun)

They are also pretty cheap and virtually all of the costs would fall on me and my bride. And I wouldn't expect very good presents from them either. :mad:

So I feel you're pain. Even though they know how strained most of the relationships are in my family, they would all want to kill me if I got married and they weren't a part of it... But I don't care.

If it means getting married by Elvis in a hole-in-the-wall chapel... Then so be it. At least I won't have my mother screaming at me that I'm making a huge mistake, while she goes nuts and starts throwing wedding cake around. :eek:

Good luck with your wedding, wherever it is and however big it may be. You have the girl you want to spend the rest of your life with, and thats the most important part. The rest is just gravey. :)

And if she has a sister or a friend or something who likes guys who have a strange obsession with Patrick Pass... (And wants to elope!) Please let me know. ;)

Well folks, I got a letter from Ma today, and yes it was just that she thought I expected more than a paltry $3,000. So she apologized and said she'll "butt out" (her words, not mine) of our wedding plans, but implored us to still have a nice ceremony and reception. So my betrothed and I are going to talk about it but it sounds like the big plans are back on.

Parents these days, I tell ya. :banghead:

Um, TB... Your fiancee's name doesn't start with an "N" does it?

Funny thing... I just received a wedding invitation from my cousin, who lives in WI, and who has been married before. I thought I remembered you said you lived somewhere near the Minn/WI boarder, which she does as well.

Course, she actually has 2 sisters and you mentioned that your fiancee only had 1, so obviously it's not her. And I don't remember my uncle screwing his ex out of money (although I was young, what do I know). But it was kind of weird about all the other similarities. It would have been one of those "Whoa, how weird" things. :p

BTW... How are the wedding plans coming? You need to keep us updated on these things. :Lecture: Get the tux yet? :p ;)

Well it's been a while so I thought I should do an update before mgoblue drives up I94 and hits me on the head with a frying pan.

The church and the restaurant are reserved. The biggest question after that became finding a photographer. First we went to a photographer right in town here who has done sessions for me in the past and who does great work. The thing is he's gotten a little full of himself over the years and decided that he can demand huge sums of money for that work. His cheapest package is $1,800 (remember we only have $3,000 for the whole thing here) and that doesn't even include the engagement picture session.

So we went and met with a number of photographers from around the area. Some were weeded out immediately because they were already booked for our date, and one even asked us why we had waited so long to try to find a photographer. (I didn't think seven months before was that long...)

NEway, in the long run it came down to a disagreement between the wife-to-be and I. She was really big on the idea of getting a person who does photography on the side and not professionally since these people generally charge less, take the pictures and then give you the negatives. Not only are they cheaper, but then you can take the negatives to a photo center and just have all the portraits made yourself.

I, on the other hand, wanted to go with a pro we found who had a far more reasonable price and took everything on digital. The thing was everyone I talked to said "For God's sake you can skimp on everything else but don't skimp on the pictures!"

Fortunately the dispute was resolved by an outside source. We had it narrowed down to either one of these side guys she wanted or the pro I wanted. Well, the wife-to-be called the guy she wanted to ask him a question, then called me and said she wasn't sure she still wanted him because he was rude to her on the phone. As it turned out, I work with a woman who used to work with the guy quite often, and she told me, "Yeah, he was rude to her but not to you because he doesn't like working with women."

Now, maybe it's me, but if you don't like working with women, isn't wedding photography a profession you should avoid? I mean, if you don't like working with kids, so you wouldn't become a teacher, you know?

So anyway we went with the one I chose.

This weekend I'm moving in with her... more updates will follow.

Alright, I only read the first page, but I'm pretty sure I'm disagreeing with everyone here. My view is this:

The wedding is ABOUT the bride and groom, but not FOR the bride and groom.

The wedding is for the family and friends of the bride and groom, to have a public ceremony that allows the important people in your life to bear witness to the union, to allow them the chance to speak now, knowing that if they don't, they should forever hold their peace. To show before the world that the marriage is occuring, and to hold the couple out as married (A secret wife is, except in cases like Braveheart weddings, not a true wife IMO.) And also, in some cases, allowing everyone to meet the prospective spouse.

And last but certainly not least, I view a wedding as a party to say a retrospective and prospective "thank you" to all present for the support they've given you in the past and will inevitably give in the future. And that goes for everyone that you can think of inviting. Her dad's a total a$$hole? Don't invite him, but be aware that he HAS, at some point provided support to her. That doesn't mean it comes close to outweighing the negative, but so what?

My wedding was a lot of work (though not too much money because we were really careful), and I think that's the way it should be. My MARRIAGE is a lot of fun (and a lot of work.) But the wedding wasn't for us, it was for everyone else, and I wanted it to be good fun, and yet a serious matter, for all involved.

I also disagree with those who doubt your bride's sincerity about not having a big wedding. She very likely associates big weddings with being "all show and no substance," due to the failure of her first marriage. I know many people (particularly women) who had a failed first marriage and feel the same way.

My advice is to get all dressed up to mark the seriousness of the occasion, both to you and to your guests/witnesses, but have a very simple (but very public, be generous in who you invite) and inexpensive ceremony.
Make the reception lots of fun (and casual) - get a room (like an Elks' Club or something) and maybe a DJ (depending on your families tastes), and order some neat platters of a wide variety of food that people can snack on, but still fill up. Plan a "casual function" rather than a "wedding reception," and you'll find you can get a lot of the same things for 75% of the price or better. Seriously, I'm talking about several $10 veggie platters from your supermarket, cold cuts and cheese, some desserts.

You should be able to do it for less than the $3,000, and still make sure everyone has a great time. In my mind, at least, the two most important things are the public-ness and seriousness of the ceremony, and the fun for the guests at the reception.

Oh, and if people want to bicker, just say: "I'm getting married, and I truly want you to come. If you can't be civil, and aren't going to share my joy, please stay home anyway." People will get the point.

Best of luck.

Whoops. Guess I should have read on. Or at least looked at the dates of the posts... :doh:

Sounds like you guys are on the right track, IMO. And you're right, DON'T skimp on the pictures. That's the one thing I wish I could have back, because other than that, our wedding was about perfect.

Best of luck, man, and congratulations.

Ah, weddings...

First off, wanted to say that I'm a long time viewer (love the girlie pics thread), finally gathered up energy to join this fantastic MB community - hello everyone! Look forward to spending some good QT on this site.

What a great topic for my first post. I really feel your pain, I'm currently paddling away in the same exact boat!! I just got engaged this past December and am fighting through the same BS. To keep it short, this Sunday I have to tell my parents, my brother & his wife that the 2 of us our going to Hawaii next summer to get married, coming back and having a party. They're more than welcome to come if they want, but that's how & where we're doing it - end of discussion. It should be an interesting weekend!!

Needless to say, I'm all for doing what ever the two of you want to do. While your family might be a big part of your life (mine are), they aren't the ones getting married. It's your day and you are the two who are going to remember it forever. As I have recently been finding out, with weddings you're going to p*ss people off, why bother caring and making your life stressful. Do what you want to do and if anyone has a problem - they can go sh*t in a hat.

PS - I'm actually looking into having my post-wedding party at Gillette. It's afforadable and would be a dream come true for this Pats fan.

EDIT - just realized I'm probably way late with this post...by at any rate...good luck with the wedding!!!

Re: Ah, weddings...

Pats333 said:
First off, wanted to say that I'm a long time viewer (love the girlie pics thread), finally gathered up energy to join this fantastic MB community - hello everyone! Look forward to spending some good QT on this site.

Welcome to the Planet. :wave:

Glad you decided to come out of lurking. :thumb:

Boy,,,, I'm glad I've decided never to go down this road again.... I think I was still paying for my wedding long after the divorce papers had been signed.. :banghead:

Sounds like you got control of it,,, although the families can drive you nuts.... Wish I had better advice to offer....

I've done over 1,000 weddings, most of them very big ones. The photographer is the proffesional that directs the day. Do not hire an amateur.

joephoto said:
I've done over 1,000 weddings, most of them very big ones. The photographer is the proffesional that directs the day. Do not hire an amateur.

Joe, you left out your address and phone number :p

From a guest's point of view, big weddings are a great time. For the bridal party, the planning sucks big time. Of course, I've been married almost 23 years, so the pain fades with time.

My wife wanted the full blown deal, so that's what we did. Considering I'm part of a very large family, we had 250 guests :eek: But I helped as much as I could, both families cooperated fully and it all came off without a hitch.

And we went expensive on the photographer (thought you'd like to hear that Joe), moderately cheap on everything else. Don't remember everything about the day, but it's amusing to take out the pics and see what I looked like when I had hair.

Back