Patriots worked out Groves

NewsZombieBot

Newsie
Reaction score
The Patriots held a private, on-campus workout with Auburn University defensive end/outside linebacker Quentin Groves on March 13. The 6-foot, 3-inch, 259-pound Groves is a classic speed-rusher -- he's been clocked at 4.53 in the 40-yard dash -- and tied the Auburn career record for sacks with 26.
Groves is a tweener who projects to be an outside linebacker-edge rusher for teams that run a 3-4 scheme like the Patriots. At the NFL Scouting Combine in February, Groves said he started two games at outside linebacker in Auburn's 4-3 scheme his senior season and said he was open to becoming a 3-4 linebacker at the NFL level; a question several teams posed to him at the combine.
"I think all nine asked me, ‘Would you go to outside linebacker?’ ” said Groves in February. "I told them, ‘Without a doubt, if you need me to play it, I’ll play it.' "
Sean Kiernan, the agent for Groves, said his client also had a private workout with the New York Jets, who pick sixth, one spot ahead of the Patriots, in next month's NFL Draft. Kiernan said that Groves had visits with six other teams scheduled as well.
Groves is generally projected to be a first-round pick, but is not considered a top 10 selection at this point like another hybrid pass-rusher, Ohio State's Vernon Gholston. However, Groves said his goal is to be the first defensive end/outside linebacker-type to be selected in the draft.
As colleague Mike Reiss always notes, all of these private workouts come with the following disclaimer: As part of their draft preparation, the Patriots hold private workouts for several prospects. In most cases, they most accurately represent that the team is seeking more information before giving the player a final ranking on the draft board.

More...

I wasn't that impressed with him when I watched him, that's not to say he can't get the job done, but I think he's someone who would be more on TBC's development timeline, whereas Chris Long and Vernon Gholston appear to be further ahead in the Linebacker transition skills.

I think Groves will be fine. I would definitely select him, but not at 7. I think Gholston is a little over-rated. I don't know why. Maybe I am :high:

just my 2 cents or so

I don't agree with him at #7. If they work a deal, drop down and grab him, I'd see that. I really think it's Gholston or bust at #7.

I think Groves will be fine. I would definitely select him, but not at 7. I think Gholston is a little over-rated. I don't know why. Maybe I am :high:

just my 2 cents or so
I agree that he's not a #7 value, but I don't see him as a first, or even a second round value for the Pats. He'll probably be gone by round three. Frankly, the only LB prospect who I would be comfortable with in the late first/second round would be Avril of Purdue, and I'd prefer a TE/OT before I'd want to take him that high. Jackson of USC might be a consideration, but that depends on how he did during his private workout for the Pats, I'm not 100% on whether he can stand up and play like big Willie.

Just to recap: The LBs I feel offer #7 value in this draft are Chris Long and Vernon Gholston. Keith Rivers and Derrick Harvey might be worth a first round pick, but preferably after a trade down - I'm not sure how well Rivers would fit in the Pats' 3-4 and I'm not sure Harvey has all the tools to stand up, but both are being scouted so my questions seem to be in line with the Pats' inquiries.

Potentially disconcerting news regarding Groves:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=114891
NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports Auburn DE/OLB Quentin Groves underwent surgery to repair a "shortcircuted valve" in his heart in March.

Groves had a rapid heartbeat. Anytime a heart needs to be repaired it's concerning, but Schefter says teams still project Groves as a first-round pick. Groves sent a letter to all 32 clubs informing them about the procedure. Still, this is something teams will have to weigh on draft day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm thinking "recent heart surgery patient" can't be on most teams' checklist for draft picks.

Back