Pats 2008 Defense

Akrobatik

Oh crikey!
Reaction score
If Teddy, Jr, Harrison retire and Samuel gets traded we got a whole new Defense to work with next year. Its scaring me. :( Hobbs at #1 corner is a bad bad thing.

Oh and i think Try Brown is done.

I don't think Harrison will retire he lives and breathes football.
Seau might be gone, ditto with Teddy. Although I can see Teddy doing a Troy Brown and sticking around to see if he can help.

They may or may not pay for Samuel. Depends what the open market is asking.

I'm very happy with Thomas and I think they can use him to great effect next year. He can be great with the pass rush.

Tchok13 on 02-04-2008 at 11:43 AM said:
Seau might be gone, ditto with Teddy. Although I can see Teddy doing a Troy Brown and sticking around to see if he can help.

They may or may not pay for Samuel. Depends what the open market is asking.

I'm very happy with Thomas and I think they can use him to great effect next year. He can be great with the pass rush.

The open market was set by the 49ers signing Nate Clements last year.

$80 million. Samuel will be worth as much as Clements on the open market.

You don't think teams will back down from that now knowing he prolly wasn't worth it?

Tchok13 on 02-04-2008 at 12:32 PM said:
You don't think teams will back down from that now knowing he prolly wasn't worth it?

Teams back down from throwing ridiculous money at the top cornerback on the market who is still in his mid-20s? I honestly can't remember the last time that happened. Sorry.

I think that Samuel won't get as much as he thought he would. He wasn't exactly shutting down players on his side of the field. In fact, he was beat by David Tyree on the Giants 1st TD.

Tchok13 on 02-04-2008 at 11:43 AM said:

Frankly, I hope he does. He's too slow, too old. He was out of position and abused quite often this season. At this point, he's probably more of a liability than a help, I'm afraid.

The D definitely is going to be shaky.

DL: Warren, Wilfork, Seymour. No problem there.

LB: Thomas, Vrabel....? Colvin = pricy and coming off injury. Bruschi and Seau will retire (or should retire).

DB: Harrison should retire. Asante will head off for greener pastures. Hobbs is a short liability. Gay has reached the end of his usefulness (nickel back at best, and that's when he can stay on the field). Eugene Wilson's time is up after some early promise. Brandon Meriweather hits hard but still can't hold onto easy INTs. James Sanders is probably the lone bright spot right now... and that's not saying a lot.

Lookin' ugly.

DRAFT on defense with # 7 and pick up a FA as well and weshold be ok.
I still think OL may be a problem after last nights game.

carolinatony on 02-04-2008 at 12:40 PM said:

Not everyone has a front four like the Giants though.

carolinatony on 02-04-2008 at 12:40 PM said:
DRAFT on defense with # 7 and pick up a FA as well and weshold be ok.

I was very disappointed in the gameplan last night. Particularly on the last drive when it was 1st and goal from the 6 with 2:55 left in the game. Run the ball and you end up doing one of two things. Either getting to the 2:00 warning or forcing the Giants to use a TO.

A very similar thing happened last year in the AFCCG against the Colts. Except then the Pats sort of had a reason in that they didn't have a healthy RB other than Heath Evans.

The fact that the Pats didn't go to a shorter passing game earlier is also disturbing. Had they done so, Brady might not have been hit as much.

I maybe in the minority here but I LOVE A RUNNNING game. We need a POWER RB that can get 2/3 yrds and you can't stop him.
With our passing game, you couldn't cheap against the run if we had that type runner imo.

The "worst case scenerio" is pretty ugly.

If Bru, Rodney and Seau all were to retire, Samuel and Colvin were to leave via free agency, then without considering the draft or any other "adds" it might look something like this

DL - Seymour, Wilfork, Warren
OLBs - Vrabel, Thomas
ILB - Lua, Woods
CBs - Hobbs, Gay
S - Wilson, Merriweather.

That would be scary.

What I hope happens is Samuel stays (Pay the man please) and we draft a CB with pick #7 who is at least 6' tall. Hobbs becomes the Nickel, and 2 of the 3 potential retirees decide to lace 'em up another year.

Benign Despot on 02-04-2008 at 01:16 PM said:

If Bru, Rodney and Seau all were to retire, Samuel and Colvin were to leave via free agency, then without considering the draft or any other "adds" it might look something like this

OLBs - Vrabel, Thomas
ILB - Lua, Woods
CBs - Hobbs, Gay

That would be scary.

What I hope happens is Samuel stays (Pay the man please) and we draft a CB with pick #7 who is at least 6' tall. Hobbs becomes the Nickel, and 2 of the 3 potential retirees decide to lace 'em up another year.

You forgot James Sanders. Can't remember right now how he fits in with Wilson and Meriweather re. Free vs. Strong, but Meriweather could also be used at CB if necessary. Still scary, though...

I give the Pats credit for building a defense the last two years based on free agents. It worked...

Can they do that again and make another run with new faces on defense and maybe a coordinator? Honestly it's going to be a tough hill to climb.

It's gonna have to be done with Free Agents again.

Since Belichick looks at filling in roles where will he plug?

Theres holes to plug...no doubt about that. I just don't know which FA will be the best fit and still work the cap numbers.....

Lance Briggs

Drayton Florence

Need to get lucky in the draft with a back or linebacker that can contribute right away.

We seemed to lack speed on the edge last night. At times, it seems too easy for QBs who aren't all that mobile to escape the pass rush, roll out and get a decent play off. Manning isn't the first to do it this season.

The question is whether they want to address it by getting a fast OLB who can rush (I guess Rosie would address this if he comes back) or be radical and switch to a 4-3 with two fast ends.

carolinatony on 02-04-2008 at 12:57 PM said:
I maybe in the minority here but I LOVE A RUNNNING game. We need a POWER RB that can get 2/3 yrds and you can't stop him.
With our passing game, you couldn't cheap against the run if we had that type runner imo.
That requires a Power Oline.

Benign Despot on 02-04-2008 at 01:16 PM said:

OLBs - Vrabel, Thomas
ILB - Lua, Woods
CBs - Hobbs, Gay

That would be scary.

Colvin's under contract through next year, as is Harrison (who it should not be underestimated, finished the season in fairly good health for a change). Odds have to be in favor or either Bruschi or Seau (or both) re-upping for another year, particularly as this ending couldn't have left a pleasant taste in their mouths. I think Samuel will get big $$ elsewhere. Sanders is a better player than Wilson (I would be very surprised if he were to return) at this juncture. IIRC Gay is a UFA this offseason as well, so he might not be back.

The Pats need a couple corners, an inside backer, and maybe another safety the can develop on defense. This does not seem to be an insurmountable challenge given they have a top ten pick and the attractive nature of NE as a place for veteran free agents to land. Offensively, they need only to re-sign Moss and they are pretty much set - Stallworth, Washington, Gaffney, etc. are simply gravy at this point.

Honestly, unless there's a slew of unexpected retirements, I think the Pats are sitting pretty going into 2008, and I'm usually one of the cynics on this board..

Back