Quarterbacks punting the ball

Steve1

Reaction score
I remember a couple of instances where the Pat's qb punted the ball. One was Matt Cassell in Buffalo at the end of the 2008 season. He punted it like 65 yards with bounces! And Brady, I want to say it was 2003 in the snow in Foxboro, when they had cut Ken Walter, and Brooks Barnard punted like 11 times! But Brady punted once in that game also, I think.

I bring it up because who knows, it might happen again Sunday; the kicking game is always big in Buffalo, and Mesko is injured, seemingly. Of course, it isn't a late season game in Buffalo, where the wind is wicked. But I remember more than a few low-scoring games where made/missed field goals and punting made a big difference in those Pats/Bills games. We'll see...but it's in the arsenal for Brady to punt once in a great while.

But Brady punted once

It was a little pooch punt that pinned them deep, inside the 10 as I recall. I imagine we don't see more of it it why put your QB in harm's way for 20-30 yards when he might just convert on 4th down? I wouldn't mind seeing more fake punts when just across midfield, though.

Back