Question on Directv and MLB Package

PatsFanDan

Reaction score
Ok, for anyone who has the MLB package thru Directv, here's a question.

So I tune into NESN this afternoon thinking I'm going to be able to watch the Sox game and find that it's not available in my area. The game being in Toronto, I know there are no program blackout restrictions for NC.

So I check all of the 700 series MLB channels and the game is not listed at all. Then I spend an hour on the phone with directv. Two different reps including tech support and neither could tell me why the game was not available.

Now I look at the schedule online and it looks like Saturday day games are not carried in the package. What's up with that? I must have missed the fine print somewhere. Anyone know why this is?

A lot of Saturday games are night games but I'm kind of pissed to find out that I will miss any Sox day games on Saturday.

It doesn't help that I have recently had a lot of problems with directv with my HD receiver not working correctly. They have been out once already and I scheduled another service call this week and they told me they could not come out for a friggin' week. I'm kind of hating on directv right now.

:bang: Directv

Fox has exclusive coverage of Saturday day games. So any game before 7 pm on Saturday that's not on your local station will be blacked out. Also, ESPN/ESPN2 have exclusive on Sunday night, so any games after 7pm Sunday will be blacked out.

From the InDemand FAQ. Now what I find funny is that the reps couldn't tell you that part.

Q: WHAT ARE THE NATIONAL BROADCAST RIGHTS/RESTRICTIONS?
A: During specific days/times, certain national broadcasters have exclusive television rights for distributing MLB games. No games are available on MLB EXTRA INNINGS during the following exclusive national broadcast windows:
ESPN Sunday Nights
ESPN has an exclusive national broadcast window for all MLB games on Sunday nights. No telecast can be made available for out-of-market distribution during this time. Any games that start after 5:00pm ET on these nights will not be part of MLB EXTRA INNINGS. The only games available during this time will be on ESPN or ESPN2 and your home team’s Regional Sports Network (RSN) or team affiliated Over-The-Air (OTA) station. Please see local listings for games available during these times.
FOX Network Saturdays
The FOX Television Network has an exclusive national broadcast window for all MLB games on certain Saturdays up until 7:00pm ET. No telecast can be made available for out-of-market distribution during this time and will not be part of MLB EXTRA INNINGS. The only games available during this time will be on FOX. Please see local listings for games available during these times. Any games available for the package that start after 7:00pm ET on Saturdays will be part of MLB EXTRA INNINGS.

Yeah I figured it had something to do with contractual obligations with Fox but I didn't remember running into this last year. I only had the package for about a month because we moved into our house in NC in September. I don't recall but all the Saturday games were likely at night which is why I didn't run into this problem.

But you are correct....phone reps at Directv are dopes. At least the ones I have spoken with.

Here's hoping the Sox/Yanks Saturday tilt next weekend is on the local Fox channel. I will have to check out the listings.

Thanks for providing the info.

I'm not one to usually do it, but I was ****ing pissed talking to the guy on the phone. I try to hold it in, but when a company leaves that tiny fact out, that pisses me off. Maybe I'm being a tight ass, but I expect to get plenty for my money's worth. I don't understand why Fox does that, but what ever. I was pissed I missed the game. Then I saw the score, I'm glad I missed THIS game:suicide:

I'm not one to usually do it, but I was ****ing pissed talking to the guy on the phone. I try to hold it in, but when a company leaves that tiny fact out, that pisses me off. Maybe I'm being a tight ass, but I expect to get plenty for my money's worth. I don't understand why Fox does that, but what ever. I was pissed I missed the game. Then I saw the score, I'm glad I missed THIS game:suicide:

Here is a consolation, well for me anyway.
The Yanks lost again to the Rays.

Well, in their defense, every commerical I've ever seen does say blackout restrictions apply. :p:D

Back