Reloading on coordinators

Reaction score
Website
yahoo.com
How smoothly do you guys see this process going?

Do you think we have a serious problem for the future here?

Not unless you end up with Mike Martz as your new offensive coordinator.

Oh the horrer!

Eric Mangini is a lock for the DC position. He's been a BB disciple for many years. His skill is apparent from the play of the defensive backs this year.

Jeff Davidson is considered the front runner to OC. He took over play calling responsibilities when Weis had his health issues a couple of years ago.

The interesting issue will be the other assistants. Don't be surprised to see Pepper Johnson tapped as Romeo's DC. Brad Sealey may also be in demand as a coordinator on some staff.

This will be the biggest test for Belichick. It's difficult to replace staff in February, when many good ones have already found teams. I'm not sure of the quality of the junior level coaches already on staff. I would assume that BB would have some younger coaches ready to move up to full fledged assistants.

You're right Bideau. To me, this will be BB's biggest challenge in the offseason...and far more important than who we pick up in FAgency or in the draft. The coaching staff has been THE difference that has set the Pats apart from the rest of the NFL over the past several years. It will be essential that the reloading goes smoothly, and that the new people quickly become a reasonable facsimile of the old in a relatively short period of time.

dred said:

Oh the horrer!

Funny thing is, there was a mild rumor not long ago that that was a possibility. BB & Martz are pretty decent friends, professionaly - not personaly. They converse during the year more than they do with any other coach.

Won't happen though. Jeff Davidson / OC & Eric Mangini / DC. Plus, Martz will probably be allowed to keep his job in St. Louis.

dred said:

I think Martz would work out just fine if he was only an OC. It is his head coach decisions that are questionable. With BB to temper him and tell him to run the ball, that might actually be okay.

Undertaker,

You're right on the money. Martz would be a very high caliber OC...not more...never liked him as a HC.

Undertaker #59 said:
I think Martz would work out just fine if he was only an OC. It is his head coach decisions that are questionable. With BB to temper him and tell him to run the ball, that might actually be okay.

I could never see Martz on a BB staff. Martz is not capable of staying out of the limelight, which is something that BB demands of his assistants. Martz is just too ego driven. If and when the Rams finally dump him, he'll settle for nothing less than another HC position.

Bideau,

It may prove funny how the lack of offers may temper an ego.

BB is the one guy (I believe) he COULD work under effectively. That's a big "could"....

Weis agreed not to raid Belichick's staff and hopefully Romeo will do the same.

bideau said:
Jeff Davidson is considered the front runner to OC. He took over play calling responsibilities when Weis had his health issues a couple of years ago.

:confused:
This greatly concerns me.

:archive:
Isn't this the year we went 9-7?

!

Uncle_Tom_Brady said:

!

I thought Weis had his problems in '03. But even if it was '02, the Pats started 3-0 that year. Weis was back on the sidelines early in the season (whichever one it was).

You can have Bill Cowher for DC if you want him. Better yet, take him. We'll give you a draft pick if you take him.

Please?

Uncle_Tom_Brady said:

!

Yeah, but it wasn't because of their offensive woes. They couldn't stop the run if they put all 11 men in the box.

I agree with what bideau said w/Davidson and Mangini.

No Mike Martz! No f'ing way! Absolutely not. Brady would throw 30 INTs under his philosophy. He's too impatient and high risk for my liking thank you very much. Anybody but him.

BB plans for everything. He knew at some point that both Romeo and Charlie would be leaving. It is hard for me to believe he didn't start identifying and/or grooming their replacements.

Supposedly, Belichick denied Saban permission to talk with Dean Pees. saying that after the Super Bowl, Pees would be promoted to DC.

Since Mangini's contract is up after the SB, and he has a good relationship with both Crennel and Childress, it's not out of the realm of possibility that he could be off to Cleveland, or possibly even join Saban in Miami.

gaylord said:
Since Mangini's contract is up after the SB, and he has a good relationship with both Crennel and Childress, it's not out of the realm of possibility that he could be off to Cleveland, or possibly even join Saban in Miami.

You'd like that wouldn't you?

Back