Remembering The Worcester Six

BradyGirl

Reaction score

I remember coming home on the train from Boston and seeing the flames that Friday night.

The following Tuesday, waiting for the train to go to Boston around 6:00 A.M., all was eerily quiet as I-190 had been closed off so no traffic. The only sound was of the firefighters searching for their fallen comrades' remains in the debris. Searchlights highlighted a surreal scene. :cry:

I can’t believe it was that long ago. I remember being horrified hearing about it on the news.

It was a terrible time. The city was mourning, and even though traffic was clogged in the city streets because I-190 couldn't be used, nobody complained.

I saw the smoke from the fire from my house not knowing what it was. Later when the full scope of the events were playing out the empty feeling watching the firefighters going through the rubble looking for their lost comrades. The entire region was in shock. They had a memorial service later on at the Worcester Centrum and the overflow was in the thousands. It was televised. Bill Clinton showed up for the service. Think what you want about him but that day he looked absolutely Presidential.

Think what you want about him ...
Nice post. The whole city of worcester plus many more were grieving terribly. Don't mean to offend at all, but re: the above: You bet!

I went down to the site and joined hundreds of others viewing the rubble while they searched. Very few spoke. The entire disaster carried this air of silence.

Not meaning to hijack but I was deeply affected myself by hugely tragic fire. Not to be compared to the loss of first responders, but I was Driven to tears on and off for 3 or four days when I learned of it. I was at intelligence training at Fort Holabird, Baltimore at the time. On 12/28/1966 My co-editor of our HS literary magazine and her boyfriend hadd been at a Bruins gams that IIRC went overtime, causing fans to miss the last train out of North Station. A One car train was provided and it exploder into an oil tanker stalled at a crossing in Everett. 12 died, including her boyfriand. Was told by a friend that he supposedly placed his body on top of her. Never confirmed that I know of. She survived, 2nd and third degree burns everywhere. And a Life of constant anquish and pain. I try and fail to not think of it.

No cheers, here.

Back