RIP Burt Reynolds.

Reynolds' career also is marked by the movies he didn't make. Harrison Ford, Jack Nicholson and Bruce Willis surely were grateful after he turned down the roles of Han Solo, retired astronaut Garrett Breedlove and cop John McClane in Star Wars, Terms of Endearment and Die Hard, respectively. He often said that passing on James L. Brooks' Endearment was one of his worst career mistakes. (Nicholson won an Oscar for playing Breedlove.)

Reynolds also indicated he was Milos Forman's first choice to play R.P. McMurphy (another Nicholson Oscar-winning turn) in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, "backed away" from playing Batman on TV in the 1960s and declined the part made famous by Richard Gere in Pretty Woman.

---------- Post added at 01:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...-deliverance-boogie-nights-star-was-82-831093

Deliverance is one of my very favorite movies. Reynolds was the perfect guy to play that part. Sorry he got bedazzled by Loni's assets, as I don't think she made his last years happy ones.

RIP

Good guy who made some fun movies like Smokey and the Bandit. He was certainly a movie icon of the 70's - RIP Burt, you brought a lot of joy to people.

RIP. So very sad.

My mom had a huge crush on him when I was a kid. To the point where my step father refused to go to any of his movies with her or watch any on TV while she was in the room.

Was very sad to hear this. For many of my generation, you grew up with Reynolds in so. any great movies. Smokey and the Bandit and the Cannonball run were just a joy and then movies like The End were fantastic black comedies. Don't think I ever saw a bad move he was in. He was so slick in Boogie Nights and it was a great comeback for him.

They all must have had such great fun making those moves like Smokey or the Cannonball run. Great days. RIP Burt, many thanks for the enjoyment you brought to so many!

Back