Rose Bowl a good look at Chris Perry.

G

This should be a great game and it provides a chance to check out Perry against a very good defense. How is it possible that I can say Pete Carroll and great defense in the same sentence? Perry probably won't be around by the time the Pats first draft pick rolls around but I think they could do worse for a RB than Chris Perry. A number of mock drafts I have seen have him going roughly around the 20th-22nd pick in the first, in the neighborhood of the Pats first pick. (Belichick will once again be looking at value so he will probably trade down and take a backup caliber back). The Cowboys are going to be looking for a RB too and they might pick before us. Why is it that whenever Parcells is involved in a draft he seems to be competing with us for the same players? Should be a great game one way or the other.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls03/columns/story?columnist=maisel_ivan&id=1697646

I watched the Rose Bowl and it was really a great show despite the fact that the game wasn't that close.

First of all, in a pregame interview old friend Pete the Poodle Carroll was asked about his teams mindset going in and he responded that they were "pumped" - but he did not tack on "and jacked". Despite this minor oversight I was highly amused that old habits die hard for the poodle.

I dont watch as much college football as I would like, but it is difficult to imagine a better setting for the game. A sunny California day, USC vs. Michigan, the colors, the pomp and circumstance, the USC band and Keith Jackson in the booth - who while somewhat past his prime is still Mr. College Football to me and always will be.

I watched Chris Perry closely and think he will be a successful pro back. I question his frame a little, since top flight NFL backs tend to be a bit thicker and more compact than he is, but nonetheless showed me quickness, strength and the ability to hit the hole hard. I like Chris Perry a lot and think he has a chance to be a Shaun Alexander type.

Of some of the other players Mike Williams is as dominant a player at his position as I have ever seen in college ball. Randy Moss was like that, but Marshall wasn't USC. This kid is unbelievable and my understanding is that he won't come out of school until the 2005 draft. If so then he will be the number one pick without a doubt. Unreal. A future lock to be an NFL superstar.

A nice story was the stellar play of Mosi Tatupu's kid Lofa (I think) who must have made his papa one proud man yesterday.

Our own Tom Brady was on the sidelines for his alma mater Michigan, but could not provide any solid mojo for an offense which was led by the Bledsoesque John Navarre. He really reminded me of Drew out there which no longer means something good.

Hawg73 said:
I watched the Rose Bowl and it was really a great show despite the fact that the game wasn't that close.

First of all, in a pregame interview old friend Pete the Poodle Carroll was asked about his teams mindset going in and he responded that they were "pumped" - but he did not tack on "and jacked". Despite this minor oversight I was highly amused that old habits die hard for the poodle.

I smiled myself when I saw and heard this. I'm truly happy for Carroll. He's found the perfect situation for himself and if he's smart, he'll stay there and retire a Trojan.

I dont watch as much college football as I would like, but it is difficult to imagine a better setting for the game. A sunny California day, USC vs. Michigan, the colors, the pomp and circumstance, the USC band and Keith Jackson in the booth - who while somewhat past his prime is still Mr. College Football to me and always will be.

Don't forget the USC cheerleaders, still the sexiest sweaters in college ball. My wife commented that those are what cheerleaders are supposed to look like (as opposed to the stripper style apparel worn by the pros). It reminded me of being an adolescent in the mid-70's, tuning into SC games just to see the cheerleaders raise their arms and give us a tantalizing glimpes of their abs. That was big stuff back then. :p

A nice story was the stellar play of Mosi Tatupu's kid Lofa (I think) who must have made his papa one proud man yesterday.

Our own Tom Brady was on the sidelines for his alma mater Michigan, but could not provide any solid mojo for an offense which was led by the Bledsoesque John Navarre. He really reminded me of Drew out there which no longer means something good.

Tatupu went to school back here. His father coached him at King Philip HS in Wrentham. I met Mosi when my daughter's JV softball team played KP. Imagine my surprise to see Mosi in the 3rd base coaches box. He was the coach of the KP JV softball team.

Tom looked fairly umcomfortable on camera. I was a little surprised. He didn't provide a lot of insight, but he was asked his thoughts on Mike Williams. Again, he didn't provide much there either.

Hawg73 said:
I watched Chris Perry closely and think he will be a successful pro back. I question his frame a little, since top flight NFL backs tend to be a bit thicker and more compact than he is, but nonetheless showed me quickness, strength and the ability to hit the hole hard. I like Chris Perry a lot and think he has a chance to be a Shaun Alexander type.

Boy, you hit the nail on the head with that remark about Navarre. I was thinking, it's the Drew Bledsoe defensive package all over again. Too bad because I was really hoping to see Perry showcase his skills, if nothing else for the entertainment value. He is such an explosive runner. The problem was that the Michigan offensive line was being completely dominated by the Trojans. Nine sacks? Clearly they new that Michigan has a run-first offense and the best way to stuff it is with relentless pressure.

I heard Tatupu's name and I said to myself, what are the chances that there is another Samoan out there playing football by that name? (Probably pretty good....) There were all kinds of NFL bloodlines between that game and the Miami-Florida State game. Payton's son Jarrett, Tatupu's son Lofa(?), an old favorite of mine Kellen Winslow's son, and Florida state has a Boulware who I believe is related to Ravens, DE Peter Boulware?

I think Perry would be a perfect fit for the Pats offense. He can slash but he still has power. He set the record for receptions by a RB at Michigan. Their favorite play -- you guessed it -- the screen pass. That guy would be a true backfield weapon, the hands of Faulk with the speed to take it the distance. Beyond how he runs I like his head. His coach was effusive in his praise about his attitude, coach-ability, and his desire to play, and summed it up with, "It doesn't get much better." I think he is an ideal Patriot I really do.

bideau said:
I smiled myself when I saw and heard this. I'm truly happy for Carroll. He's found the perfect situation for himself and if he's smart, he'll stay there and retire a Trojan.

Don't forget the USC cheerleaders, still the sexiest sweaters in college ball.

Tom looked fairly umcomfortable on camera.

Tom Brady doesn't interview well. That has been demonstrated several times now on national TV. I was glad to see Carroll do well. He was a nice guy, just probably too nice to be effective in the NFL. And yes, those cheeleaders were heavenly.

2006508_36_1.jpg

NoRespect said:
I think Perry would be a perfect fit for the Pats offense. He can slash but he still has power. He set the record for receptions by a RB at Michigan. Their favorite play -- you guessed it -- the screen pass. That guy would be a true backfield weapon, the hands of Faulk with the speed to take it the distance. Beyond how he runs I like his head. His coach was effusive in his praise about his attitude, coach-ability, and his desire to play, and summed it up with, "It doesn't get much better." I think he is an ideal Patriot I really do.

Right now the clamoring for a running back is reaching fever pitch around here and will only get more intense between now and the draft.

There seems to be an early consensus that Steven Jackson, Kevin Jones and Cadillac Williams will all go before Perry and we will have a legitimate shot at him, and that would be more than fine with me. A lot of Pats fans are saying that there is no way he picks a RB in the 1st, but I'm not sure he won't if the right dude is there.

Of course, years of watching the draft has made me try to wait and see how things shake out with the combine etc, before getting the salivary glands flowing, but he looks like a football player to me and would look mighty fine in silver and blue.

Boulware is Peter's brother and should be a pretty high pick.

Winslow was touted as a potential no 1 overall until questions about his attitude surfaced recently, but he probably goes in the 1st half of the 1st round at least. My early guess would be Buffalo for him.

I totally agree with the assessment of the USC cheerleaders. The word nubile comes to mind. Wholesome looking honeys, thanks for the photo NR.

Hawg73 said:
There seems to be an early consensus that Steven Jackson, Kevin Jones and Cadillac Williams will all go before Perry and we will have a legitimate shot at him, and that would be more than fine with me. A lot of Pats fans are saying that there is no way he picks a RB in the 1st, but I'm not sure he won't if the right dude is there.

Well, all you have to do is imagine how tough the Pats would be with any ONE of these 11 playoff running backs, except for Dallas that is. Parcells can keep the crap he has.

Priest Holmes
Ahman Green
Eddie George
Jamal Lewis
Shaun Alexander
Marshall Faulk
Buckhalter/Staley
Edgerrin James
Stephen Davis
Clinton Portis

A couple of those guys would make us unbeatable. Think of the Pats offense right now with Jamal Lewis??? Or Ahman Green? That would be pure power to go with a precision passing game. Smashmouth to the extreme. I am less impressed with Holmes in part to KC's line and weapons such as Gonzalez. Still any one of those guys on the Pats would make us decided favorites.

I am glad to see reports that Perry might be passed on until early in the second. I would love to see him in a Pats uniform. Whenever I hear someone saying Bill Belichick will "never do that" my immediate thought is they have their head up their ass. Remember how Bill doesn't like big nose tackles? Funny, he sure seems to like the one he has now. Same goes for smallish linebackers, and slashing running backs. Belichick doesn't follow simplistic rules about not taking a running back in the first round, etc. That is garbage.

NoRespect said:
. I am less impressed with Holmes in part to KC's line and weapons such as Gonzalez. Still any one of those guys on the Pats would make us decided favorites.

I agree with most of your points here and your chart does highlight the fact that we are firing some dum-dum bullets out of the backfield in comparison, but I was shocked that you are not impressed with Holmes. Holy schnikees NR, the guy is all man - holes or no holes.

Cripes, don't let those Chiefs people hear you say that or we'll never hear the end of it.

Well, at least until we beat them. ;)

Hawg73 said:
I agree with most of your points here and your chart does highlight the fact that we are firing some dum-dum bullets out of the backfield in comparison, but I was shocked that you are not impressed with Holmes. Holy schnikees NR, the guy is all man - holes or no holes.

My chart? huh?

I'm just trying to inject a little controversy, incite a riot, that sort of thing. ;) I like the sheer power of a guy like Jamal Lewis or the mix of power, toughness and receiving skills of a guy like Green. Maybe I just haven't seen Priest at his best. I wouldn't turn him down, he just isn't my favorite. I do think he is a great back, but I like a guy like Green or Lewis in cold weather or on a crappy field. Just a better fit for New England that's all.

Back