Show Tunes!

Gene dances to 'You, Wonderful You' by Harry Warren, Saul Chaplin and Jack Brooks in the above video.

I didn't catch on to Broadway Musicals until I was around 30. It wasn't a popular form of entertainment where I grew up and I always associated it with my Parents' generation. I didn't get it
much. I was one of the only people I knew who thought Jesus Christ Superstar was awful and that was about the only Musical people my age were familiar with.

It wasn't until I saw Les Miserables in Boston that I started to get it. I felt the pure emotion coming out of the cast in a way you don't really get from other forms of entertainment. I
wept at some of the big numbers, but couldn't help it. Everybody was crying. It shocked me what a heart punch the whole thing was. I wanted to see more.

I'm not a purist or real knowledgeable about the history of the genre, as Beagle clearly is, but I've now seen more than a few of the more popular ones out there. Going to see a really
good Broadway show live is one of the finest/classiest nights out you can have and I look forward to the day when we can do that again without all the fears and worries of the last year or so. We have a friend who works on Broadway and she needs to go back to work as do all off them.

My top five so far would be:

1. Les Miserables
2. West Side Story
3. The Music Man
4. Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat
5. Chicago

I really want to see The Book of Mormon someday and the sooner the better. Good thread!

I didn't catch on to Broadway Musicals until I was around 30. It wasn't a popular form of entertainment where I grew up and I always associated it with my Parents' generation. I didn't get it
much. I was one of the only people I knew who thought Jesus Christ Superstar was awful and that was about the only Musical people my age were familiar with.

It wasn't until I saw Les Miserables in Boston that I started to get it. I felt the pure emotion coming out of the cast in a way you don't really get from other forms of entertainment. I
wept at some of the big numbers, but couldn't help it. Everybody was crying. It shocked me what a heart punch the whole thing was. I wanted to see more.

I'm not a purist or real knowledgeable about the history of the genre, as Beagle clearly is, but I've now seen more than a few of the more popular ones out there. Going to see a really
good Broadway show live is one of the finest/classiest nights out you can have and I look forward to the day when we can do that again without all the fears and worries of the last year or so. We have a friend who works on Broadway and she needs to go back to work as do all off them.

My top five so far would be:

1. Les Miserables
2. West Side Story
3. The Music Man
4. Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat
5. Chicago

I really want to see The Book of Mormon someday and the sooner the better. Good thread!
Nothing like live performances, no matter how small the venue. There is real power blasting at the audience from the stage. Some people can't suspend belief in a theater, and the magic therein eludes them, sadly.

Whenever I visit NYC, I can feel the electricity rising from the sidewalks, knowing all the greats have been there at one time or another. Just sitting in a balcony seat in Carnegie Hall when empty is thrilling beyond words.

Thanks, Hawgie, and thanks to all of you who are clearly enjoying this thread as much as I am.

Being Alive...is not being alone. NPH's epiphany in Company.

Back