Sizing up the AFC East

***Roman529 accusing AllWorldTE of being a homer when in fact, it's very clear to me based on reading R29's "homerish" posts that he himself is indeed, a homer. ROFL Now I've officially heard everything.

Excellent summation AllWorld, as per your usual.

My thoughts on Miami, as an intangible:

Miami just got a new coach, new system, and a new QB. Not a good formula in today's NFL, and really no reason to be optimistic about winning in year 1 in said scenario. It takes time for a QB and a new "OFFENSIVE-MINDED" Head Coach to get on the same page and establish continuity. If I were a dolphin fan, (sick) I would be worried about the OL, as has been mentioned. FWIW $0.02

***EDIT: Here is my evidence

http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23625
http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=321252

Visiting jet fan here and my first post.
Both offense and defense analysis I found to be unbiased and a good read. Well Done!

-I would move the Jets ahead of Buffalo in overall defense but not by much. Revis helps though we could not stop the run last year and our D-line is still suspect.
-The Jets are still an O-lineman away from establishing a true running game which would help improve time of posession keeping the D off the field I' hoping we could sign/trade for an establihed vet before the season starts.

Looking forward to this weekend. If we are to beat you guys at all this year may be our best chance!

I would wish you luck but I wouldn't really mean it.

Hoping both teams stay healthy,

AZ

AllWorldTE on 09-03-2007 at 11:49 AM said:
Steve1 on 09-03-2007 at 11:29 AM said:
I would pick the Jet's defense above the Patriot's defense at this point. Simply because of the Patriot's loss of Seymour and Harrison. Gotta take off those rose colored glasses, folks....

Can't agree with you there although I understand your concern.

I'm not really concerned. I think by the end of the reg. season, the Patriots will still be one of the top few teams competing for the big prize. But a 1-3 start, or 2-2, is not out of the question. Tell you what, the Pats/Chargers game just lost a little luster for me. I can only hope that it's the Adaleous show, and not the LeDamien show.

Last time I saw the Chargers/Pats live, the Chargers totally killed the Pats, something like 40-17 (17 all at halftime). That was in 2005. And LeDamian was a monster, running for lots and lots of yards. As he often does. It's just that it's been rare lately for the Pats to give up alot of rushing yardage in general.

That was the game that killed the 2005 season. People were getting pissed at that game. I lost my enthusiasm that day.

Looking foward to seeing the Chargers play the Pats is suddenly making me feel like going to a Patriots/Denver game. It ain't going to be pretty. In fact, it's going to be pretty ugly. Here's hoping for a 21-20 Pats win. Of course, it's the Jets first....

And I submit that this Jets game is one of the two or three most important of the regular season. Because it's a home divisional game against the team that will be battling you for playoff positioning. Better to finish, say, 4-2 in the division, rather than say 3-3. Especially if both teams end up 11-5, or whatever. So in my estimation, the Jets game is more important that the Chargers game, for the Patriots. Even though I'll be attending the Charger game, and hoping for the best.

AZJetFan on 09-03-2007 at 12:39 PM said:
Visiting jet fan here and my first post.
Both offense and defense analysis I found to be unbiased and a good read. Well Done!
AZ

Thanks AZJetFan. Welcome to the board.

Steve1 on 09-03-2007 at 11:29 AM said:
I would pick the Jet's defense above the Patriot's defense at this point. Simply because of the Patriot's loss of Seymour and Harrison. Gotta take off those rose colored glasses, folks....

Tough tough game for the Pats this Sunday.

But I'd say the Pats defense will be improved, by the end of the season, barring anymore loses.

Defense (for the first few games)

Jets
Patriots
Dolphins
Bills

And as far as offense, I think it'll take a while for the Pats to score alot of points (28+). I'll say they'll finally start scoring some real points around mid-season. They've got to integrate Randy Moss into the offense, and if he's injured, it might take some time.

I think an inordinate number of games early in the season will ride on the leg of one Stephen Gostowski.

Oh, I'm in the zone, really feeling it now......

what a friggin fool!

Steve, I can assure you that, rose colored galsses or no, NE's defense is significantly better than NY's even if Seymour and Harrison never set foot on the field all season. Significantly. Last year the Jets actually had the worst run defense in the entire league. Plus, their pass defense wasn't anything to write home about either. Let's review things as they are right now. At this moment the following Jets would likely have a spot on the starting lineup of NE.

Rhodes
Thomas (maybe)

{crickets}

This does not mean that they don't have quality guys. Ellis, Hobson and Vilma are good players and I would love to have NY's two rookies Harris and Revis on NE. But when NE is down two of their better players and they still have an advantage in 9 of 11 starting spots, their is no need for roses. Or any other flower for that matter.

AWTE, I love your posts, but you are falling into a classic trap. Only 3 division in the last 8 years has ended consecutive seasons in the same order. The odds are better that the Jets overtake NE than the East ending the season in a NE/NY/Buff/Mia order.

I have a funny feeling that Buffalo is going to surprise this year and end up second in the division.

Oswlek on 09-03-2007 at 01:51 PM said:
AWTE, I love your posts, but you are falling into a classic trap. Only 3 division in the last 8 years has ended consecutive seasons in the same order. The odds are better that the Jets overtake NE than the East ending the season in a NE/NY/Buff/Mia order.

I have a funny feeling that Buffalo is going to surprise this year and end up second in the division.
I initially thought Buffalo might be stronger than we thought watching them against Atlanta in preseason...I've revised that after the last two preseason games. Their D-line just doesn't seem to have the horsepower and while Posluzny was looking like a natural fit for that D at MLB, the rookie learning curve is going to hurt - he could wind up with Demeco Ryan numbers which didn't say good things about Houston's defense last season. Both NE and NY have strong WR corps and smart QBs which will hamper Buffalo's ability to bring Whitner down in run support the way Indy used Sanders. J.P. looks to have a good RB and Lee Evans, but he doesn't have a full inventory. The Jets are retooling, but despite the O and D lines, they have more guile at QB and on the Coaching Staff.

Oswlek on 09-03-2007 at 01:51 PM said:

It's tough to predict this division top to bottom. NE is far and away the best choice at the top and Miami is far and away the best choice at the bottom right now. That leaves it as Buffalo vs. NY Jets to settle things. I didn't want to post it in same order finish as last year but ended up there anyway.

Having said that, each of these teams can beat the other on any given day. Over the course of a long season I have to agree with BoxO, I just see Buffalo starting out weak and improving late and NY's QB/Coaching situation getting them a few more wins. I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see the Bills challenge for a WC spot ahead of the Jets though. I like to see both finish 9-7 to keep them out of the top of the draft though. Both teams appear to have a solid drafting Front Office right now.

Back