St Patrick's Day Weekend

shirtsleeve

what's takin?
Reaction score
Yeah, corned beef and cabbage and the politicians roasting each other in Southie and the parade are on Sunday. But the parties are tonite and especially tomorrow nite. So what are your plans to get your Irish on?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qGyPuey-1Jw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I haven't really celebrated it since the 90s. Last year we had a birthday party/reunion with people from way back in the day.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm going to make some Reubens as well. Do you add the purple cabbage to your slaw?
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm going to make some Reubens as well. Do you add the purple cabbage to your slaw?
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes if I make slaw But my Reubens have corned beef, sauerkraut Swiss cheese and thousand island dressing on Pumpernickel or black Bavarian rye bread

I'm using the black rye as well. Definitely making the slaw on the side. JHC I'm dying for this already. Might make it for breakfast lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'll be cooking two big briskets. All the fixins, including extra potatoes. I like me some leftovers. Best home fries evah. And hit that cabbage with some vinegar and salt to make a quick home made kraut.

I'm as Irish as they come and I can't stand that stuff. :shrug:

I'm as Irish as they come and I can't stand that stuff. :shrug:

Thats because the origin of corned beef n cabbage is all american, NY really. Came from the need to preserve the now plentiful beef the immigrants found in this country before refrigeration.

Thats because the origin of corned beef n cabbage is all american, NY really. Came from the need to preserve the now plentiful beef the immigrants found in this country before refrigeration.

Yeah well my mom and grandmother thought it was the BEST thing....I just thought it stunk up the house:sulk:

Yeah well my mom and grandmother thought it was the BEST thing....I just thought it stunk up the house:sulk:

It does smell funky. I mean, boiling cured beef, and the stinkiest of veggies..

I do love the stuff tho. I revere the leftovers more than Tday leftovers. And I am of Italian heritage.

I guess, being of Italian heritage, of course I would like any holiday meal that features cured salted meats. Easter ham is next!:dance:

Making a red and a grey, all the fixings and of course the kids will want something else... SS leftovers are awesome

The hash alone. I pulse the potatoes, beef and just a little carrot with some fresh raw onion thru the food processor with salt pepper and my secret herbs and seasonings ( a touch of rosemary and a bit of fresh garlic, and just a sprinkling of a very few anise seeds with a bit of fresh flat leaf parsley. I grind the hard spices first and chop the garlic and parsley fine before addition) until just blended without turning to mush. I make patties of the mixture and fry in butter. Serve with fried eggs.

mmmm...

The hash alone. I pulse the potatoes, beef and just a little carrot with some fresh raw onion thru the food processor with salt pepper and my secret herbs and seasonings ( a touch of rosemary and a bit of fresh garlic, and just a sprinkling of a very few anise seeds with a bit of fresh flat leaf parsley. I grind the hard spices first and chop the garlic and parsley fine before addition) until just blended without turning to mush. I make patties of the mixture and fry in butter. Serve with fried eggs.

mmmm...

Sounds good. I just started liking hash

I'm making a roast pork with baked potatoes, carrots, and brussel sprouts.

I don't like corned beef at all.

Still haven't decided on what to make for St Joseph's Day on Tuesday.

glory be. today me name be Patty O'furniture. May the devil know you're dead a half hour before ye get to heaven! (or somethin like that)

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!

I'll drink to that! Not right now, but I will!

Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Posted via Mobile Device

You guys like to eat far more than I do. Way too much prep work.

Back