The Alien QB Invasion of the New Jersey Jets Part 2

Reaction score
It's similar to last training camp, when Clemens and Chad Pennington were hounded for two weeks with Brett Favre speculation. When the Favre trade became reality, the Jets pulled the plug on the Clemens-Pennington competition, handing Pennington a pink slip

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2009/03/26/2009-03-26_jets_safety_kerry_rhodes_signals_that_de.html

Jets safety Kerry Rhodes signals that Denver QB Jay Cutler is too cocky

BY Rich Cimini
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, March 27th 2009, 12:02 AM

For Kellen Clemens, the Jay Cutler-to-the-Jets speculation has created a sense of déja vu. For Kerry Rhodes, it's more like a case of déja boo.

Rhodes isn't a fan of the Broncos' disgruntled quarterback, who wants out of Denver. According to the popular safety, Cutler has a big head to match that big right arm. If the Jets end up trading for Cutler - they already have placed an inquiring call to the Broncos - it could cause an uneasy tension in the locker room.

"Me and Jay just don't get along too well right now," Rhodes said Thursday at the Florham Park, N.J., headquarters, where the Jets opened their doors to the media during a break in the offseason program.

Rhodes' dislike for Cutler surfaced in last November's 34-17 loss to the Broncos. In the midst of a 357-yard, two-touchdown shredding of the Jets, Cutler turned off Rhodes and several of his teammates by chirping in their faces. One player described it as childish behavior.

"I took some onus on that," said the mild-mannered Rhodes, who rarely, if ever, gets worked up by an opposing player.

Asked if he's bothered by Cutler's cocky attitude, Rhodes replied, "You can be confident, but when you're too confident for your own self, that can be a little tough."

Rhodes said he's "not going to fight him" if Cutler is traded to the Jets, but he also made it clear he wouldn't throw a welcoming party. Like many players, Rhodes would like to see the in-house candidates - Clemens, Brett Ratliff and Erik Ainge - get first dibs on the starting job.

Nevertheless, the front office is intrigued by Cutler, 25, who already has one Pro Bowl on his resume.

"He can make a lot of things happen on the field," Rhodes acknowledged, albeit reluctantly. "We saw him do it against us. I don't know if that means I want him, but he's a good player."

Following coach Rex Ryan's lead, the Jets are saying all the right things about the three-way open competition, trying to ignore the specter of Cutler. It's similar to last training camp, when Clemens and Chad Pennington were hounded for two weeks with Brett Favre speculation. When the Favre trade became reality, the Jets pulled the plug on the Clemens-Pennington competition, handing Pennington a pink slip.

"At times, it can be distracting, I'm not going to lie," Clemens said of the Cutler buzz. "It's not like, 'Oh, Jay could be here, that's great.' You try to ignore it and focus on things under your control . . . I try to dismiss it as best I can, but it's easier said than done."

Publicly, Ryan has supported his three quarterbacks - a "huge boost," according to Clemens, who recognizes that .Ryan, as a new coach, could have no loyalty to holdovers.

"I believe, if I'm under center, yes, we have playoff potential," Clemens said confidently.

There wasn't a lot of Cutler love in the locker room.

"Jay Cutler is a great talent . . . but I like my guys here," tackle Damien Woody said. "They deserve a chance to show what they can do. If you want to develop a franchise quarterback, you have to start somewhere."

JETTING OUT OF JERSEY: In a surprising decision, the Jets, who moved into their $75 million facility only six months ago, aren't planning to hold training camp in Florham Park - at least not the early part of camp. They're looking for a site in upstate New York. Ryan, taking the old-school approach, wants to take the team to a relatively secluded place.

Is it my just imagination or is(are) the Jets owner(s) looking to usurp Al Davis?

"I took some onus on that," said the mild-mannered Rhodes, who rarely, if ever, gets worked up by an opposing player.

Asked if he's bothered by Cutler's cocky attitude, Rhodes replied, "You can be confident, but when you're too confident for your own self, that can be a little tough."
I can haz dictionary?ROFL

Back