The hex of Rex

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/r...decision-while-attending-world-series-game-7/

When the Cleveland Indians hosted the Chicago Cubs for Game 7 of the World Series on Wednesday, Bills coach Rex Ryan was one of the 38,104 people in attendance.

As a lifelong Cubs fan, Ryan decided that he was going grab some Bills coaches, rent a bus and make the three-hour drive to Cleveland so he could have the chance of watching his Cubbies end their 108-year title drought.
This is Rex Ryan we're talking about, so there was no luxury box. Ryan and his fellow coaches sat in the center field bleachers.

Anyway, as you've probably heard by now, the Cubs' drought definitely ended. The only problem is that Ryan wasn't there to to see it. In what will probably go down as the most regrettable baseball decision of his life. the coach left the game after a rain delay hit following the completion of the ninth inning.

He left the game. Not only that, but he left a deciding World Series game that was tied, and going into extra innings. That breaks every rule of baseball. It's probably a good thing he's a football coach.

Ryan's still not happy that he left the game.
"I hate to admit it. I hate to admit it," Ryan said of leaving, via the Bills' official website. "We had to [leave] because we had to get back to work, you know what I mean? So we had to get back to work, we have the rain delay and I'm like, 'You have to be kidding.'"

The rain delay was only 17 minutes long, and it actually ended before Ryan was even able to leave the stadium, which made his decision to leave even more torturous.

"Well, the thing that was funny -- we leave, we're in the bleachers there and we slide out and I'm like, 'God we got to go,' and as we go we hear that it's clear that the rain stopped and all that but by then we're like no, we're heading out. But yeah, it was disappointing," Ryan said.

The situation actually got worse when the Bills' coaching staff got back to their bus and found out that the radio didn't work. At that point, there was no way to listen to the game, so Ryan called his brother Rob and had him play the radio through the phone.

"So I'm listening to my brother give us play-by-play. So, 'Cubs win!' So it was good," Ryan said.

Ryan said the coaching staff was able to attend the game because the Bills have an altered schedule this week due to the fact that they play on Monday night.

"If there was work to be done, then by gosh, I would have stayed and done the work but it worked out perfect where I was able to get out and scrounge up some tickets late and get down there," Ryan said. "So it was good. We had a little bus trip down there, so it was good.

The moral of the story is that if you're at a World Series Game 7 and your team has a chance to end a 108-year drought, don't leave the game, even if there's a rain delay.

Speaking of droughts, Ryan and the Bills are trying to end one right now. Buffalo hasn't made the playoffs since 1999, which is the longest any NFL team has gone without making the postseason.

So going to a baseball game instead of preparing more is OK, but attending a Broadway play isn't.

I'll make a note of it.

Back