UNIT REVIEWS: Linebackers

MaineMan

Reaction score
MAYO .........(9233) (5600) (7600) (10600) .... signed thru 2017
HIGHTOWER .(1404) (1755) (2106) (2458) (UFA)
SPIKES .........(788) ..(878) ..(UFA)
FLETCHER-IR ..(540) ..(TBA) ..................?

MAYO (6012/242) started showing up in 2012 as the playmaker many have been waiting to see as the overall defense has started to fill up around him. That he's under contract through the forseeable future seems nothing but a good thing to me, though he ain't cheap. [NOTE: His 2013 cap hit is significantly lower than 2012, apparently due to the way some bonuses were structured.]

HIGHTOWER (6022/265) has some work to do yet, but has shown significant promise as a rookie.

SPIKES (6027/249) is simply a force in the middle and the Defense's #2 baddass behind only Wilfork. BTW, he tied with Dennard for 3rd on the team for passes defensed with 7. As an RFA in 2014, there's no pressing need to address his future in 2013, but it seems likely that a significant pay bump may be due and cap management around that might get tricky. Although I'd hate to lose Spikes' aggressiveness, instincts and attitude, there are "gaps" in his game. A good "2nd-year leap" by Hightower and Fletcher quickly getting back on course could weaken Spikes' bargaining position if he's looking for a huge payday. Still, that's for next year's reviews.

FLETCHER (6015/244), in addition to being an excellent special-teamer, seemed poised to become a regular rotational/coverage guy in 2012 before going on IR during Camp with an ACL injury. He apparently bypassed RFA status for 2013 and signed a new contract with the Pats on 1/31, but, according to one of Reiss' sources, it's only a 1-year deal (as might be typical with guys who are primarily special-teamers) so we'll see where that goes.

Aside from Nink (and possibly Vega, as per chevss) being fully capable of reverting to OLB if necessary, the "depth" for this unit is basically drawn from the pool of special-teamers. So, that's where I'll deal with Rivera, Tarpinian, Benard, White and Kouts.

This unit doesn't seem to need any major "adjustment" for 2013, although it wouldn't surprise me to see BB use a 3rd-rounder on a SS/LB hybrid type (Davonte Holloman, e.g.). I'd be surprised, though, if BB doesn't pick up a UDFA LB or two (potential special-teamers) to round out the 90-man off-season/Camp roster).

CURRENT UNIT CAP HIT for 2013 = $8.23M (+ Fletcher)

Our LB's seem to be primarily ILB types that BB has put in a position to cover wh/ isn't their strong suit. I think I could outrun Spikes and H'Tower is only marginally faster. Mayo is the best cover guy of the 3 but he isn't a 'cover' LB by any stretch. d

That's where Fletcher and Vega fit in along w/ perhaps Tarp & Kouts but I doubt they see the field on D unless Fletcher/Vega are injured. Nink is naturally an OLB & BB may have plans to use him there more this year w/ the acquisition of Armstead & (hopefully) the further development of Francis as an edge rusher. That's a lot of LBs for only 3 or 4 positions but their roles fit in nicely depending on the game situation. Vega's presence will likely put 1 of Tarp/Kouts/White off the roster if he plays as advertised in camp.

Any other team you look at has DEs, LBs and DTs. Their positions are set. Not the Pats though. Our only set positions are VW and Love as DTs & even then VW will line up at DE occasionally. To me, this is BB in his mad scientist mode conjuring up all sorts of ways to foil an offense by moving parts all around. We'll see if he's on to something or if it's just an exercise in futility. This is his baby to nurture & he's got to be having fun with the process.

Fletch is in

Free agency and contracts negotiations are heating up in Foxborough!
The New England Patriots linebacker Dane Fletcher has re-signed a one-year deal his agent told CSNNE. Fletcher also announced this afternoon on his Twitter page.
“Officially a New England Patriot again for next season!”

Fletcher was on the list to become a free agent this March and he is very excited and ready for offseason practices this spring.
Fletcher was signed by the Patriots as a rookie free agent on April 29, 2010. The 26 year-old, 6-2, 245 pounds linebacker from Montana State spent the entire 2012 season on injury reserve due to a torn ACL in his left knee in the preseason opener game against New Orleans Saints.
In the 2011 season, Fletcher appeared in 10 games with 5 starts, missing 6 games due to injury. He recorded 37 tackles a forced fumble, a fumble recovery and 5 special teams tackles. He also appeared as a reserve in all 3 playoff games, including Super Bowl XLVI, adding 7 tackles on defense and one on special teams.
Fletcher can certainly be very productive when healthy, so let’s hope he can stay healthy throughout the season.

Our LB's seem to be primarily ILB types that BB has put in a position to cover wh/ isn't their strong suit. I think I could outrun Spikes and H'Tower is only marginally faster. Mayo is the best cover guy of the 3 but he isn't a 'cover' LB by any stretch. d

That's where Fletcher and Vega fit in along w/ perhaps Tarp & Kouts but I doubt they see the field on D unless Fletcher/Vega are injured. Nink is naturally an OLB & BB may have plans to use him there more this year w/ the acquisition of Armstead & (hopefully) the further development of Francis as an edge rusher. That's a lot of LBs for only 3 or 4 positions but their roles fit in nicely depending on the game situation. Vega's presence will likely put 1 of Tarp/Kouts/White off the roster if he plays as advertised in camp.

Any other team you look at has DEs, LBs and DTs. Their positions are set. Not the Pats though. Our only set positions are VW and Love as DTs & even then VW will line up at DE occasionally. To me, this is BB in his mad scientist mode conjuring up all sorts of ways to foil an offense by moving parts all around. We'll see if he's on to something or if it's just an exercise in futility. This is his baby to nurture & he's got to be having fun with the process.

More on Armstead & how he fits in the 3 man and 4 man fronts by Erik Frenz who reinforces much of my thinking above.

Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> Argonauts general manager Jim Barker told ESPN Boston, "[Armstead] played on the edge some in the 30 front [3-4] but not much. It wasn’t that he couldn’t do it, it’s that we didn’t play a lot of 30 front. He was moved around inside and was mainly an inside player for us."
That should be good news for the Patriots, who have struggled to create interior pressure for years. The role that was once filled by defensive tackle Mike Wright as the team's interior presence in sub packages has been a revolving door since his career was cut short by concussion issues.

• In 2010 (Wright's last year, with just 320 defensive snaps), the Patriots leaned on 543 snaps from defensive tackle Gerard Warren, along with a rotation of Ron Brace (285 snaps), Brandon Deaderick (258) and Myron Pryor (242).
  • In 2011, Vince Wilfork played 1,173 snaps and Kyle Love played 696 snaps. Shaun Ellis was largely ineffective in 421 snaps, and Deaderick saw his snap total rise to 383. Gerard Warren (371) continued to contribute, as well. Albert Haynesworth (134) was released after eight games.
  • In 2012, Wilfork (1,041) and Love (591) once again carried a significant load. The Patriots utilized defensive end Jermaine Cunningham (487) as an interior pass-rusher in some nickel packages. Deaderick (467) once again saw his snap total increase. Defensive ends Justin Francis (301) and Trevor Scott (289) were the only other defensive linemen to carry a significant workload in 2012.
As we can see, over the years, the Patriots' options on the interior defensive line have been dwindling.
The Patriots filled their need for an edge rusher in drafting Chandler Jones with their first-round pick last year, but the question now becomes whether they will continue to run the 4-3 alignment we saw in 2012 or if they will eventually shift back to the 3-4.
patriotsdefensivealignment_original.png

Scheme is dictated by personnel, so it's not difficult to imagine that happening, especially if Armstead turns out to be a gem. It would also allow for Rob Ninkovich to return to his more suitable role as a 3-4 outside linebacker.Wilfork is versatile enough to not only play both schemes, but to play multiple positions within those schemes. He was moved around in the 3-4 front quite a bit in both 2010 and 2011.
By now, however, we should know that the Patriots will never be solely in either front; they want players to be versatile enough to switch between the fronts. Trying to pin them down as either a 3-4 or 4-3 defense is an exercise in futility.
Since he has less experience in the 3-4, though, expect to see him earn the bulk of his workload as an interior linemen in four-man fronts, at least in the early going.
For now, Belichick is probably just happy to have an athletic defensive lineman to add to the Patriots' defensive arsenal.
</td></tr></tbody></table>
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...rmond-armstead

Back