US-129 at Deal's Gap

BY1401

Unapologetically Moderate
Reaction score
Have any Planeteers been down that way? Got any stories to tell? I'm going to drive it and the Cherohala Skyway tomorrow.

For those of you who don't know, 318 curves in 11 miles is a Sirens' call that I just can't resist.

Have any Planeteers been down that way? Got any stories to tell? I'm going to drive it and the Cherohala Skyway tomorrow.

For those of you who don't know, 318 curves in 11 miles is a Sirens' call that I just can't resist.

You know, coming from Indiana like you do, you may want to start off with something easier since you're used to those roads that have turns about every 5 miles (and only then because they paved the road around a cow back in the day).

And no, city intersections don't count.

Pfffft. Big whoop. Get back to me when you've transited the Road of Death in Bolivia on a bus. :cool:

Does the Road of Death have biker chicks on it who like to flash their be2xUbz?

You know, coming from Indiana like you do, you may want to start off with something easier since you're used to those roads that have turns about every 5 miles (and only then because they paved the road around a cow back in the day).

And no, city intersections don't count.

One might think that.

But you're talking to a guy who took a small RV down Highway 1 in Sonoma and Marin Counties.

What that has to do with anything, I don't know. But it was lovely scenery.

Was just there on the 2nd. Take it easy your first time through. Someone died last week, long way down if you go over the edge.

Was just there on the 2nd. Take it easy your first time through. Someone died last week, long way down if you go over the edge.

Have you been through many times? Is one way a better drive than the other?

Have you been through many times? Is one way a better drive than the other?

I've been through twice. It's a fun drive either way really. I prefer going north, if you f-up you're not going over the edge (unless you really f-up) and you can look around a little.

Hopefully it's not that busy when you go through. Stop at the Deal's gap "resort" (i use that term loosely) and checkout the Tree of Shame on the south side.

The Tenn. state police usually setup along the road somewhere so be careful about speeding and do not cross the double yellow lines. The cops the will pull you over and there are a lot of blind turns, you never know who is coming the other way.

What are you taking through? I was on a Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan. You see all types of bikes out there.

Back