Was this Goodell's biggest bleep up?

I'm curious.

Do that include wearing John 3:16 on your eyeblack?
Or cleats that commemorate 9/11?
Or a helmet decal honoring the slain Dallas Police Officers?
Or a "Stop Domestic Violence" color (similar to Pink representing Breast Cancer)?

Can they really "do what they want"... ?

And assuming you are cool with it...

Is the NFL consistent on this...?
I'm not opposed to any of this. Freedom of Speech doesn't just mean speech I agree with. The only one of the things listed I would have any kind of issue with is the John 3:16 eyeblack because I'm Agnostic. But when I say "issue" I mean "I think it's stupid" not "I DEMAND IT BE BANNED!"

I go with The American President on this one.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OC2jhQ0KAAU?start=60" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

As long as it's not profanity, hate speech or taunting I don't give a shit what the players do to express themselves. I honestly don't even care about profanity but I know that would be bad news bears. The only limits I'd put on celebration are time (i.e. it can't take forever or else delay of game) and taunting (you can dance, but if you dance in your opponent's face like Braylon Edwards did that time to us that's taunting.)

I'm curious.

Do that include wearing John 3:16 on your eyeblack?
Or cleats that commemorate 9/11?
Or a helmet decal honoring the slain Dallas Police Officers?
Or a "Stop Domestic Violence" color (similar to Pink representing Breast Cancer)?

Can they really "do what they want"... ?

And assuming you are cool with it...

Is the NFL consistent on this...?

No.

They have fined players for uniform infractions,

The NFL’s continues its aggression against personal forms of expression this week, with William Gay and DeAngelo Williams of the Pittsburgh Steelers drawing fines for honoring their late mothers.

Gay was fined $5,787 by the NFL for wearing purple cleats — just as he did last October — to bring attention to victims of domestic violence, the NFL Network’s Aditi Kinkhabwala reports. Williams was fined $5,787 for wearing a pink ribbon and having “We Will Find a Cure” on his eye black — as he has for five seasons.

But last year didn't fine players for 9-11 cleats

If the owner says they have to do something, then failure to do so can be sanctioned.

Heck, the NY Yankees have some pretty strict grooming codes regarding hair length and facial hair.

Anyone all up in arms over that?

No.

They have fined players for uniform infractions,

But last year didn't fine players for 9-11 cleats

If the owner says they have to do something, then failure to do so can be sanctioned.

Heck, the NY Yankees have some pretty strict grooming codes regarding hair length and facial hair.

Anyone all up in arms over that?
I'm not up in arms over it, but I think it's stupid. As I said above the best thing the NFL can do about this is STFU about it, but they're not smart enough to do that.

Exactly. I remember urlacher getting a pretty big fine at sb 41for sporting a non nfl sponsor name on a hat at media day, i believe.

Yeah, I remember. Tom's first clothing line item. The "Juked by TB12" hat.

Cheers

Urlacher's butthurt over that play never fails to make me smile because he is an utter jackass.

For Urlacher obviously there's the Brady juke, but another thing I remember about him is how he said the Bears were better than the Patriots until the Patriots went there in the snow and pushed their shit in.

http://www.espn.com/chicago/nfl/news/story?id=5913858

"[The Patriots] are the best team in the NFL," Urlacher said on Sunday. "I don't know what I was talking about, but they came in here on our field, our weather and just pounded us. We couldn't stop them."

Godell's biggest f up ?

That one time he met Harvey Weinstein for a job interview ?

Couldn't sit down for a week but there he was, working for the NYJ PR department shortly after :coffee:

Back