Welcome to Gillette

Got to imagine Kevin reading about mopping floors: :huh:

ROFL

Haslett QA

Comments from Rams interim head coach Jim Haslett after the Patriots' 23-16 win, as transcribed by the Patriots' media relations staff (click on full entry for complete transcript):
Opening statement
On injuries, Leonard Little pulled a hamstring. I don’t know how bad it is. He’ll be day to day and we’ll get an MRI tomorrow and see how he is. Besides that, the game. The game really boiled down to second half field position. They had great field position on offense all day. Our offense had short field position all day. We had too many penalties on special teams and that is really what it came down to. It’s a shame because we fought hard, we played hard, we competed, we did a nice job in that area. It is just disappointing, the outcome. But, we have to fix those other things, the field position. We had a couple of chances, we had two turnovers and an onside kick that we recovered early in the game and we got three points out of it. It was disappointing. I thought we could have gotten some more points. And then after that, the field position just swung and we couldn’t get it back. Every time we would get something out we had a penalty and that was really the demise of the team in the third and fourth quarter.
Q: You also had a fourth down stop early on in the second half, so there were four good opportunities that you only got two field goals out of.
JH: Yeah, I know what you’re talking about. I forgot about that one. But, yes, we didn’t get enough points out of those. And, again, after that we lost all field position and never got it back.
Q: Is Leonard Little’s injury an aggravation of the previous injury?
JH: Yes.
Q: Did Steven Jackson do much in pregame warm-ups?
JH: Yes, he did a lot. He just couldn’t go. Every time he planted and tried to cut on it, it grabbed. So, we thought for him and what is best for this team was not to let him go.

More...

Patriots chatter

Comments from the Patriots' locker room following the team's 23-16 win over the Rams:
RB Kevin Faulk
(On stepping up Sunday in the place of injured players)
“I think that’s what you come in for. You don’t have a lot of opportunities sometimes, but the thing is, you always have to be ready because you don’t know when the situation is going to come up. The situation came up today where we were down to three running backs and we had to carry the load.”
(On his touchdown reception in the fourth quarter)
“It was a play we put in last week and we had the opportunity to run it today. They showed us a matchup early on that favored that play, so we ran it and it was successful.”
CB Ellis Hobbs
(On the play in the fourth quarter in the game that caused him to leave the game)
“The shoulder is fine. I'll be fine. I'll be all right. I just hit the ground kind of funny. Too funny actually. I didn’t feel right [but] we’ll get better though.”
WR Wes Welker
(On the performance of Matt Cassel)
“He played really well today. He made all the right reads and was seeing the defense really well. I think there were some plays that we need to be better on that he was good on and we weren’t. And we need to put those things together. But he definitely did a great job out there.”
(On the game-winning touchdown drive)
“That was huge. We were really shooting ourselves in the foot all the way down. To finally get that drive really fit together and put points on the board – and not just points, putting a touchdown up there where they would have to go the distance to come back – that was big for us. And Kevin [Faulk] made a heck of a play on that.”
RB/FB Heath Evans
(On running back Kevin Faulk’s performance today)
“Nothing he [Kevin Faulk] ever does surprises me. He amazes me at times. You know he is capable of so much. You see him make catches and pick up linebackers that outweigh him by 50 pounds. There are just so many different aspects to his game. He is probably one of the best. You talk about a complete back. He is a guy you can’t guard one on one. If you give him a draw he is going to find yards where there are no yards. He is going to make catches where most people wouldn’t even touch the ball. There are not enough good things to say about [No.] 33. ”
(On his confidence on the team throwing to Kevin Faulk late in the game)
“If you’re going to put it in one person’s hands it might as well be his. When it comes down to pressure situations and someone that’s done it for 10 years one way with great consistency, who else’s hands would you want it in? This guy does it all, pass protection, catches a tough ball, picks up blitzers that are 50 pounds heavier than him, he’s the best.”
LB Adalius Thomas
(On the absence of Steven Jackson and if it changed their game plan as a result)
“It kind of did just because we didn’t know what to expect and if they were cooking up a few new things. When one of their best players isn’t in there, then you don’t know exactly what it is. They stayed true to what they like to do, but at the same time their running game wasn’t going to be exactly the same because Jackson was out. ”
S James Sanders
(On if it was hard to play with players who he usually doesn’t practice with in the secondary)
“When guys go down, a lot of things happen but Bill Belichick is the king of moving people around and putting us in a position to make plays. When guys go down others step in and we try not to miss a beat and for the most part we didn’t.”
LT Matt Light
(On Matt Cassel handling the pressure)
“He’s not the only one out there. There’s 11 guys on offense and we all have a job to do. He has a big responsibility and he’s doing a great job. He’s getting better week-to-week. That’s one of the things we’ve talked about and I think he’s handled the whole situation really well.”
DE Ty Warren
(On being tied for first place in the AFC East)
“[All things] considered our position right now in the AFC East is not a bad position. I heard Miami came out with a win against Buffalo. It gives us a chance and I’m not saying that the division is already won or anything like that but we are heading in the right direction and that’s a good thing. We are having fun doing it. We’re having fun coming to work every week and blocking out all the speculations and criticism of guys like [Matt] Cassel. Not really knowing how he was going to come along but he’s emerging fine as a leader as you see out there on the field. We’ll continue to try and get better on defense and special teams and as long as all units continue to come together as one unit we’ll be better off. ”

More...

Rams chatter

Comments from the Rams locker room:
QB Marc Bulger
(On how the Patriots changed after getting beatean deep and opportunities in the passing game)
"Once we burned them deep a couple of times, they kind of went to a two-man look and they loaded up on our receivers and got them some help back there. It was a good game plan. We probably should have ran a little better against it, but they did a great job.”
(On coming in with a go for broke attitude)
“That’s his [Coach Haslett] style. That’s not going to change. NFL games are won and lost by a couple of plays. You can’t look in the mirror and be 100 percent disappointed. It was one or two plays. We prepared hard and played hard and we just didn’t get it done.”
CB Ron Bartell
(On defending Randy Moss)
“It is interesting. He is such a good receiver. He is so crafty and he has seen every possible defensive coverage out there. I thought we did a really good job of man to man; most of the balls he caught in man to man coverage were slants. You can live with that. I think they did a really good job of attacking us when we were in zone and in the middle of the field. They did some different things to free him up.”
(On the play of Matt Cassel)
“He is poised and does a great job of running that offense. He has got a great ability to escape and was able to get away from our rush a couple of times. He does a good job of not putting them in bad situations. We got a couple of picks on him, but I think they were just greats plays by our defense. He does a good job of controlling the offense and I think they can win with him.”
WR Donnie Avery
(on his 69-yard touchdown catch)
“It was a simple touchdown. It is the longest in my NFL career. The object is to get the ball and try to make something happen. After I got the ball in my hands, I tried to make something happen today.”
DE Chris Long
(On the team coming a long way and consolation in the loss)“This was a team that a year ago was 18-0 at one point, a great team. I certainly respect the way they do things. For us to come in here and play a tough ball game, you can take some consolation. But we wanted to win the game. It’s disappointing, but we lost to a good team. These guys in the locker room had a lot of good energy and we will be back next week to play hard.”
K Josh Brown
(On the wind)
“It was a little thick out there at certain times. I think it was only when I kicked.”
(On which way was tougher to kick.)
“Towards the open end, with the lighthouse. It was a little more difficult to kick that way.”

More...

Final game notes

FOXBOROUGH -- Game notes from the Patriots' 23-16 win over the Rams, courtesy of the team's media relations staff (for complete notes, click on full entry):
PATRIOTS TURN IN FRANCHISE’S FIRST PENALTY-FREE PERFORMANCE
The Patriots were not flagged for any accepted penalties against St. Louis (a holding penalty was declined), marking the first penalty-free game in the franchise’s 731-game history. The Patriots have been called for just one penalty in a game on 13 occasions, most recently on Sept. 10, 2006 against Buffalo. New England’s penalty-free performance was the first in the NFL this season and the first for an NFL team since Seattle was not flagged for any accepted infractions against Baltimore on Dec. 23, 2007. The Patriots’ penalty-free game was the 50th such performance by an NFL team since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger.
PATRIOTS ARE 5-2 OR BETTER THROUGH SEVEN GAMES FOR THIRD STRAIGHT YEAR
The Patriots have begun the 2008 season tied for first place in their division with a 5-2 record and are the only AFC team to start each of the last three seasons by winning at least five of their first seven games. New England joins the New York Giants as the only two NFL teams to achieve the feat in 2006, 2007 and 2008. The Patriots have begun the season with at least five wins in their first seven games for the fifth time in the last six seasons.
FAULK’S GAME-WINNING TD CATCH
Kevin Faulk hauled in the game-winning touchdown catch, a 15-yard reception from Matt Cassel with 3:13 remaining in the game, breaking a 16-16 tie and providing the winning 23-16 margin. Faulk had four catches for 48 yards and a touchdown to go along with 13 rushes for 60 yards, good for 108 total yards from scrimmage on 17 total touches (6.4 avg.). Faulk’s touchdown was his third of the season and his first via reception (the other two were scored rushing).
MOSS RECORDS 800th CAREER RECEPTION; FIFTH-FASTEST TO 800 IN NFL HISTORY
Randy Moss recorded his 800th career reception on his first catch of the day, a 10-yard grab in the 1st quarter. Moss became the 19th player in NFL history to break the 800-reception mark, and did it in the fifth-fewest number of games in league history. Moss, playing in his 161st career game today, trails only Marvin Harrison (131), Torry Holt (142), Jerry Rice (154) and Terrell Owens (158) on the NFL’s list of fastest to reach 800 receptions.

More...

Got to imagine Kevin reading about mopping floors: :huh:

ROFL

"He is one of the best team players we have. He is all about our football team. Whatever he can do to help us win he’d do – mop the floors, he’d mop them. Like Troy Brown, you just can’t say enough about a guy like Kevin Faulk.":thumb:

Video: Reaction roundup

FOXBOROUGH -- Globe football writers check in with thoughts and analysis from the Patriots' 23-16 win over the Rams Sunday at Gillette Stadium.
Click on the players below to watch the video or follow the "full entry" link to view more video clips.
Reiss on Kevin Faulk

More...

Offensive participation

A look at the snaps played by offensive skill-position players in the Patriots' 23-16 win over the Rams:
WR Randy Moss -- 57 of 62 snaps
TE Benjamin Watson -- 57 of 62
WR Wes Welker -- 53 of 62
WR Jabar Gaffney -- 49 of 62
RB Kevin Faulk -- 44 of 62
RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis -- 18 of 62
TE David Thomas -- 16 of 62
FB Heath Evans -- 8 of 62
WR Sam Aiken -- 4 of 62
TE Mike Vrabel -- 3 of 62
(snaps do not include final three kneel-downs)
ANALYSIS: With the Patriots dressing just three healthy running backs, Kevin Faulk (44) became the workhorse at the position. ... BenJarvus Green-Ellis (18) started, but once the Patriots settled into their three-receiver attack on a more consistent basis, Faulk stayed on the field. ... Fullback Heath Evans (8) did not line up at running back. ... Randy Moss was part of every play except for the short-yardage package (no receivers), one play with three receivers and two running backs (Kevin Faulk screen), and one play with three receivers, one tight end, and one running back. ... Sam Aiken was the fourth receiver, playing three snaps in four-receiver sets, and one in the base three-receiver grouping.

More...

Back