What do we want in the 1st - LB and ?

carolinatony

Reaction score
We need a LB for sure but what other position do you want us to take?
I'm open to that 2nd pick...SS/DL/CB/LB. We all want more speed on defense. I am not talking about players but rather position.
What will make you happy with this draft?

I personally would prefer a FS type, along with that college DE for conversion to ILB, or if one exists, a natural ILB for our scheme. Thats kind of a tough one.

I dont really have a preference, but i have this gut feeling that they will take a WR.

SenatorChivas on 02-24-2007 at 07:19 PM said:
strong safety or big physical cornerback

Linebacker and a db, or safety. The second round is supposed to have some quality backs in it. The draft is also supposed to be very deep in recievers. Any teams out there with 2 picks in the second round? Maybe we could work something out for one of the first round picks. There is supposed to be a lot of good recievers and quality backs in the second round. 3 picks in the second round could net us some quality players.

Maybe take a linebacker with the 24th pick. Pick up a reciever with the 28th. Use the second pick to go after a back like Mike Bush or Toney Hunt, then go after Harper in free agency?

SenatorChivas on 02-24-2007 at 07:19 PM said:
strong safety or big physical cornerback

Sanders is our Rodney eventual replacement. He is progressing nicely.
I suggested free safety. Hawkins has played well but isn't that young himself, and he showed some lack of speed, slowing down at the end of the year. Meriweather should be around at #28.

They never draft for need in the 1st round. They will draft the best player available that they think will be able to make an immediate impact. They always do, and I don't see that changing this year.

I agree with everyone else: a LB, Safety, and/or CB help would be great. A 1st round pick must be able to come in and play right away. These types of players, in the Patriots system, don't necessarily make immediate contributions that you need from 1st round picks.

with hobbs and samuel
CB is not a problem
hobbs is coming on VERY well

chef on 02-25-2007 at 03:47 AM said:
with hobbs and samuel
CB is not a problem
hobbs is coming on VERY well

I agree that hobbs is coming along nicley. But, what happens when one of them go down with an injury?

The two guys I would love to see in the first round.

DE/LB | Senior | Purdue Anthony Spencer
Height: 6-3 | Weight: 261 | 40-Time: 4.70

Official Bio

Strengths:
An excellent athlete with great speed...Playmaker who is very active with a great motor and always around the action...Versatile and has experience dropping into coverage...Natural pass rusher with a knack for getting after the quarterback and making plays in the backfield...Extremely productive...A good technician who plays with solid leverage...Relatively stout against the run for his size...Experienced and battle tested...Good range with a burst to close fast...Very instinctive and smart.

Safety/ Senior/ Wyoming / John Wendling
Height: 6-1 | Weight: 222 | 40-Time: 4.50

Official Bio

Strengths:
Excellent size and tremendous bulk...Has outstanding timed speed considering his frame...Physical and aggressive...A playmaker with good leaping ability and body control...Solid tackler and does a superb job versus the run...A hard worker and leader with elite intangibles...Very smart...Versatile...Has a good deal of upside. Has experience at both free and strong safety and could project to either in the pros...Has everything you look for physically but doesn't always play up to those measurables...Destined to be a workout warrior due to his phenomenal triangle numbers...Underrated prospect who seems to be the total package and the vast majority of his flaws are correctable...Could end up being a big steal for someone.

Mythjp on 02-25-2007 at 10:39 AM said:
The two guys I would love to see in the first round.

DE/LB | Senior | Purdue Anthony Spencer
Height: 6-3 | Weight: 261 | 40-Time: 4.70

Official Bio

Strengths:
An excellent athlete with great speed...Playmaker who is very active with a great motor and always around the action...Versatile and has experience dropping into coverage...Natural pass rusher with a knack for getting after the quarterback and making plays in the backfield...Extremely productive...A good technician who plays with solid leverage...Relatively stout against the run for his size...Experienced and battle tested...Good range with a burst to close fast...Very instinctive and smart.

Safety/ Senior/ Wyoming / John Wendling
Height: 6-1 | Weight: 222 | 40-Time: 4.50

Official Bio

Strengths:
Excellent size and tremendous bulk...Has outstanding timed speed considering his frame...Physical and aggressive...A playmaker with good leaping ability and body control...Solid tackler and does a superb job versus the run...A hard worker and leader with elite intangibles...Very smart...Versatile...Has a good deal of upside. Has experience at both free and strong safety and could project to either in the pros...Has everything you look for physically but doesn't always play up to those measurables...Destined to be a workout warrior due to his phenomenal triangle numbers...Underrated prospect who seems to be the total package and the vast majority of his flaws are correctable...Could end up being a big steal for someone.

I have seen Anthony Spencer play a few times he is a monster. I would love to see this guy developed for a season under Bruschi and Pepper Johnson. I could see him as a bigger faster Bruschi

John Wendling is a beast, hits like a truck and can leap with the best of them. He is what Harrison was when he first came to the Pats as far as his playing stile goes.

Here's the list of Patriots' impact (IMO) free agents after the 2007 season:

Caldwell
Samuel
Wilson
Gaffney
Paxton
Scott

To look at this year's draft and free agent class without taking a gander at this group is shortsighted. The 2008 FAs look heavy at WR and DB.

Therefore I think WR, CB, FS are all likely candidates to be upgraded come draft time in the early rounds. I suspect BB and Pioli will backfill the LB spot the way they always do: free agency.

Back