You guys will simply NOT believe this!!!!

At the beginning of the game the All Blacks performed their traditional Haka dance with the Irish watching while aligned in a "figure 8" which was supposed to mean something which was lost on me.

The stadium was nearly silent and you could clearly hear the NZ chanting but the camera zooms in on the face of one of the micks -- a red-haired lad with a beard -- and you could see that he wasn't too impressed. Like he was disgusted to be forced to watch this sidewalk act. There was a complete lack of intimidation for him, at least.

There is nothing else quite like the Haka. It's a dramatic spectacle, but I can't imagine anything like it in, say, the NFL or any other american sport.

The No. 8 was a tribute to Anthony Foley, a former Ireland No.8 who passed away suddenly in his forties. He was coach of the Munster province team at the time and died the night before a big game.

Rugby is a sport which I haven't really watched enough to understand, but when I've watched its pretty entertaining.

COngrats

I think the crucial differences between Rugby and Football are:

- no forward passes in Rugby
- no blocking for the ball carrier
- you have to let go of the ball after a tackle. Your team mates can form a shield over the ball to protect it.
- the "set pieces": Scrum (big guys push over the ball to contest possession) and line outs (ball thrown back in after going out of bounds and big guys jump to contest it).
- no downs.
- penalties often take the form of kicks at goal.

The No. 8 was a tribute to Anthony Foley, a former Ireland No.8 who passed away suddenly in his forties. He was coach of the Munster province team at the time and died the night before a big game.

Thank you. I suspected it was something like that, but I either never heard the explanation or wasn't able to use my american sensibilities to understand the subtleties of the announcing crew.

I think that is because I'm accustomed to brainless cretins, like Dan Fouts or Phil Simms, for instance, relentlessly pounding incorrect and/or questionable opinions into my skull for 3 1/2 hours.

I envy you people for getting treated a bit more like intelligent adults when watching your native sports along with much quicker games with far fewer commercial interruptions. Sometimes when I have been watching a lot of international futbol or rugby I have trouble re-adjusting to what we have to deal with in order to watch the NFL. It's embarassing.

Thank you. I suspected it was something like that, but I either never heard the explanation or wasn't able to use my american sensibilities to understand the subtleties of the announcing crew.

I think that is because I'm accustomed to brainless cretins, like Dan Fouts or Phil Simms, for instance, relentlessly pounding incorrect and/or questionable opinions into my skull for 3 1/2 hours.

I envy you people for getting treated a bit more like intelligent adults when watching your native sports along with much quicker games with far fewer commercial interruptions. Sometimes when I have been watching a lot of international futbol or rugby I have trouble re-adjusting to what we have to deal with in order to watch the NFL. It's embarassing.

We have plenty of morons in commentary booths, especially in soccer. I agree that Rugby tends to do better. I suspect this may he because its culture encourages a decent level of education in its players and so the commentary reflects that.

Re (American) Football commentary, it saddens me greatly that some highly knowledgeable people are marginalised. Matt Bowen and Mike Mayock come to mind.

Non NFL matter,

Ireland played New Zealand in Rugby today in a packed out Soldier Field in Chicago.

The New Zealand All Blacks are the best team by far in the world and Irekland have never beaten New Zealand EVER in 111 years!!!

And...

WE WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So first the Cubs win after 108 years and now, in Chicago, the Irish have won after 111 years!!!!!

One of the best rugby games you will ever see as well.

CwiCy4DUUAAXNfE.jpg:large
Mrs. JK and I were in Dublin last summer when Ireland played Scotland, what an atmosphere!

Back