2006-2007 Boston Celtics/NBA Thread

TheYellowDart on 12-18-2006 at 08:34 PM said:
I love playoff hockey... Even if I don't have a dog in the fight, I find myself watching it.

JD10367 on 12-18-2006 at 02:46 PM said:
Hard for me to get too worked about about basketball and hockey when c.) they let half the teams into the playoffs anyway.

Not to go off on a tangent, but apparently Lamar Hunt was one of the owners who wanted to expand the NFL playoffs to 16 teams. I don't agree with that. I think 12 teams is plenty, and you should have to fight your way into the postseason. Yes, we all love the NFL playoffs, but adding more games isn't going to make it better. Then on the other hand you have base-ball, which lets only a teeny fraction of its teams into the playoffs.

To get back to your point, I think the NBA playoffs are way too long (I could care less about the NHL). A couple years ago The Brushback had a story with the headline Scientists Predict Next Ice Age Will Arrive Before End of NBA Playoffs (or something to that effect).

I was thinking sometime early next year I might meet up with an old friend of mine in Milwaukee and go to a Bucks game, just because I had fun at the last one I went to and it'd be a reason to see my friend again. After this weekend, however, I wonder if I'd need a bodyguard. (Then again, with the seats we'd have, the players would have to be VERY tall for us to be in any danger.)

Seriously though, the Knicks have to got to be the most screwed-up organization in sports next to the Raiders. They sign Larry Brown to a ridiculous contract, then fire him after his first year when the team only wins 20 games because he has jack squat for talent (hey, not even Emeril Lagasse can make prime rib out of hamburger), then make their incompetent GM the coach. That'd be like the Lions making Millen the HC.

The Knicks deserve to lose. They are the new Clippers.

It sucks not having Paul Pierce in the lineup. I can't wait for him to get healthy and help the team win.

I know the team is young. I want them to win as many games as possible but I know they aren't. So I am looking forward for a good draft pick.

Bandwagoneer on 01-26-2007 at 08:56 PM said:
Oden or Durant are gonna look damn good in a C's uniform next year.
Yep I can't wait...I love the Celtics and want them to do well. But this team obviously isn't going anywhere, I'd like to see them just mail it in the rest of the way so we can get a good draft pick. :thumb:

GR-EG OD-EN

CLAP CLAP CLAPCLAPCLAP!!!

GR-EG OD-EN

CLAP CLAP CLAPCLAPCLAP!!!

I am 100% rooting against the Celtics and even though it feels dirty I don't care. I've been watching the team since I can remember and rooted hard for them to win when we experienced the M.L. Carr era. I know better this time around.

BTW- If you want to root for better draft slots and not feel the guilt of rooting against the Green, root against the Cav's. We get their lottery-protected 1st Rd pick from the Jiri Welsch/Eric Williams deal a couple of years ago. A top 5 pick and a later pick in the 1st round might be packaged for Oden or Durant should we not have 1 or 2.

The Celts are mailing it in as we speak.....somehow, Danny Ainge got a message across...if you're ahead by a few points, don't be sad if the other team takes a lead....and keeps it!

This season is now in garbage time....and that's not good for the celtics's tv advertisers. No wonder they're not on local radio in Providence, which is a big celtics loving region.

I watched the Slam Dunk contest because I wanted to see how Gerald Green was going to do and the kid did great.

I was happy to see him win and have Paul Pierce as a helper. I know the dunks aren't like back in the days but Green did a good job.

I thought a funny moment was when Howard put a sticker of himself on the backboard and when Green jumped over the actual Nate Robinson and not the cardboard of him.

And he ended the dunk contest with jumping over a table but for some reason I was terrified that he was going to somehow injure himself on that one.

Good moment for the :Celtics: !!!

I can't believe the Bucks lost to the Celtics. :mad:

Of all the teams the Celts could have broken their losing streak against...

At least the Celtics (a Celtic anyway) won something. ROFL I know this guy won the slam dunk contest in the McDonald's high school whatever event, but I had no idea this guy was this explosive. I was impressed with his performance last night. That 1st dunk where Pierce assisted him was a phenominal dunk!

nba_g_green_412.jpg

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zsnEWeFbiNo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zsnEWeFbiNo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Patriots4ever on 02-18-2007 at 10:53 AM said:
At least the Celtics (a Celtic anyway) won something. ROFL I know this guy won the slam dunk contest in the McDonald's high school whatever event, but I had no idea this guy was this explosive.

He did. Not only did he win it but the dunks he did were the same ones that Vince Carter did in the 2000 slam dunk contest (bounce, leap and catch, through the legs and dunked and put his entire forearm inside the basket on a dunk). Think about it--he was in HS doing dunks that people said were some of the greatest of all-time in slam dunk contests when VC did them.

As I mentioned in the other C's thread, he's a part of the future. It looks bright.

Kinda sad that the best part of the Celtics season came during the All-Star Break...oh well. If we don't get Oden or Durant next year I am going to be pissed.

I am shocked and stunned at the fans who are giving up on there team after a few losing years.....just shocked...I mean you do realize you can't win every game and be champs every year, don't you, what kind of fan are you to quit because you lose a few years......:confused:

Who said anything about quitting? :confused:

I have not spend any significant time watching the Celtics or basketball the past couple years. However, this year has been different. I am enjoying the Celtics...I see much potential and improvement. Even thought they have been overmatched in a number of games, the team hasn't really given up. They may not yet be talented enought to compete but they don't give up.

On the whole, I am enjoying the entire NBA.

chiefsgal on 02-18-2007 at 01:47 PM said:
I am shocked and stunned at the fans who are giving up on there team after a few losing years.....just shocked...I mean you do realize you can't win every game and be champs every year, don't you, what kind of fan are you to quit because you lose a few years......:confused:

I don't think the fans are totally giving up. I think the fans are disappointed. Look at the :Celtics: , the most storied franchise in the NBA and they haven't won in over 20 years.

It's been too long and losing sucks. But I do like the way the team is being built and I hope to God the C's get the #1 pick.

chiefsgal on 02-18-2007 at 01:47 PM said:

I don't think people quit on them, there are just no expectations right now. My only question is: why do they still have salary cap problems? Aside from the 2002 season, they haven't been "good" for a long time, and it all stems from them being in cap hell. Are they that mis-managed? Perhaps it was Pitino's impatience, but what that man did to the Celtics in the late '90s was brutal.

Ainge has done a decent job with draft picks, but they never have money to spend in the offseason in free agency. There has to be a balance somewhere, and that is something that they haven't had in quite some time.

I will always root for the Celtics. I can see that they're a young team with a hopefully promising future. But I can only wonder that having the same spending limits as the other teams have, I cannot overlook the fact as to why they are hamstrung year in and year out in that regard.

Back