2006-2007 Boston Celtics/NBA Thread

Found this on The Onion, thought y'all would appreciate it:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/54780

NBA To Honor Red Auerbach By Playing Defense

BOSTON—Commissioner David Stern announced at a press conference Monday that, in order to honor recently deceased basketball legend Red Auerbach, all NBA teams would play good, fundamental defense during the first weekend of play this November. "Though this will be a sacrifice for many players, I think this is something Red would have wanted," Stern said. "He always liked when players guarded the passing lanes, kept their hands up, and remained in front of their opponents even if it meant expending a little more energy in the process. Basically, he liked activity on the basketball court." Though the majority of NBA players seem to agree the tribute is fitting, many have said that because they haven't played defense in such a long time, they really hope they remember how.

hmmmm, is a mavs fan allowed to post on your celtics thread...:D

chiefsgal on 11-06-2006 at 08:59 PM said:
hmmmm, is a mavs fan allowed to post on your celtics thread...:D

Of course, it's not just :Celtics: talk, but also the NBA. So far the C's are 0-3 (which is disappointing) but they are going to turn it around (somehow or hopefully).

#1Patsfan_chica on 11-06-2006 at 09:12 PM said:
Of course, it's not just :Celtics: talk, but also the NBA. So far the C's are 0-3 (which is disappointing) but they are going to turn it around (somehow or hopefully).

well how about that, my mavs have decided to start 0-2......:D after making a run for the title last season....but really, right now between my football and hockey I haven't been watching much BB...but I do know that they are beating the warriors right now ....:thumb:

#1Patsfan_chica on 11-09-2006 at 12:11 AM said:
The Celtics won their first game.:thumb:
West needs to be on the court more

Al Jefferson has surgery and unlike some team spokesmen he comes right out on WEEI and explains it without hesitation - even telling a time frame for return

Danny Ainge is at least a very open source of info on his team - how that turns into wins or losses I don't know but he is an enjoyable interview

mikiemo83 on 11-09-2006 at 07:22 AM said:
West needs to be on the court more

You're right.... He plays much better Defense then Telfair.

I watched all of last night’s game. It was hard, trust me. I came out of the game feeling much worse then I did going in. Point Guard and Center are the weakest parts of this team and unfortunately they are the most important. I was hoping to see some improvement from last year, but right now, they look worse. They have many players that should not see anytime on a quality team.

Here are my positives from this team. Which are few and far between.

1. Pierce. Very Solid player

2. Gomes I like he hustle and can be a very good role player on a Good team

3. West- since he is hurt I can't put him as a negative. He really gives it is all and I respect him for that. He gives up his body, which is more then I can say about most of the other players on this team

4. The Dancers

5. The New HD Mega Tron or whatever you call it

Negatives

1. Telfair- He can't shoot. Defenders are playing 5 feet off of him. He doesn't play Defense. His feeling for the offense is just not there. He was the reason the game went into overtime Last night. Brevin Knight schooled him. He is young and still needs to learn but right now he does not look good at all. He reminds me of Felipe Lopez all over

2. Team Defense just blows....

3. Players that shouldn't be on a NBA Roster- Tony Allen. Scal AKA Veal, & the Candy man all get minutes on this team, which is very upsetting

4. Perkins- The human foul machine

5. Half court offense- Train Wreck

6. All I heard over the past couple years are that the Celtics were going to play fast break ball and run. Well I am not really seeing it.

7. Doc Rivers- Sometimes, his player rotation is questionable but when you look at the players they have it is kind of hard to have a good rotation

8. Jefferson is hurt a lot. It is not his fault, but it is still a negative

9. Way to many turnovers

Bottom line is this team is young and has a lot of room for growth. Will it happen? Maybe but I do not see it happening this year. Potential Potential Potential

Rant Over

TheYellowDart on 11-09-2006 at 09:13 AM said:
2. Gomes I like he hustle and can be a very good role player on a Good team stupid foul with a minutes left in the game could have hurt - positive was Ratcliff grabbed the made free throw and said something to him - Gomes should be on San Antonio for he is an old school player

3. West- since he is hurt I can't put him as a negative. He really gives it is all and I respect him for that. He gives up his body, which is more then I can say about most of the other players on this team needs to get healthy but e hits the clutch shot - tradeable and most likely gone soon

Negatives

6. All I heard over the past couple years are that the Celtics were going to play fast break ball and run. Well I am not really seeing it.
If you can't rebound you can't run

Bottom line is this team is young and has a lot of room for growth. Will it happen? Maybe but I do not see it happening this year. Potential Potential Potential

Rant Over
well deserved rant I see a 30 win season IF Paul peirce does not get hurt

high teens if he misses a stretch of time but best thing for the team in th long run would be them forced to stink the joint out and play Perk and Al minutes with Rondo (DNP_Coaches decision) as the starting point Guard - lose while getting them experience, remember in the good old days these guys (except Gomes) would be in college still learning the game

It's only been a couple of games, but it is clear to me that this team has no idea how to play as a team and has no clearly defined roles.

I know this team has a lot of talent, but I am starting to question whether Rivers is capable of getting it done here.

Every team we play has a better clue, a better scheme and out-foxes us from the opening tap to the buzzer and it isn't just the youngbloods.

I like Doc as a person, but I don't think he is going to last much longer unless we turn it around fast. We have better talent, but are regressing and losing confidence.

I think the Doc is on the clock.

Hawg73 on 11-09-2006 at 09:52 AM said:
It's only been a couple of games, but it is clear to me that this team has no idea how to play as a team and has no clearly defined roles.

I know this team has a lot of talent, but I am starting to question whether Rivers is capable of getting it done here.

Every team we play has a better clue, a better scheme and out-foxes us from the opening tap to the buzzer and it isn't just the youngbloods.

I like Doc as a person, but I don't think he is going to last much longer unless we turn it around fast. We have better talent, but are regressing and losing confidence.

I think the Doc is on the clock.
Doc is KC jones, this young team need Bill Fitch

Hawg73 on 11-09-2006 at 09:52 AM said:

Do you really think this team has a lot of talent? I guess I just see it differently. I really do not see the talant. I see the potential. But your main point, I agree with. Rivers is not the guy for this job

Doc is KC jones, this young team need Bill Fitch

I like that analogy

I'm sure some of you guys saw clips of the Denver Nuggets vs. NY Knicks fight. Suspensions came out today and of course Carmelo Anthony got suspened 15 games. A total of 7 players were suspended and each team got fined 1/2 a million dollars.

Glad to see Carmelo get suspended for 15 gms because right when the fight was calming down, he threw a punch and ran away.

BTW, I just heard that Peja is out definitely. Sad news for me.

Go Celtics!!!:Celtics:

:Celtics:

the heartbreak of my life...will they ever be good again?

Hard for me to get too worked about about basketball and hockey when a.) Boston's teams are mediocre, b.) the season is a billion games long, and c.) they let half the teams into the playoffs anyway.

I'll take a gander at the sports section when the respective sports have about two weeks to go, and if the Celts and Bruins are in a position to make the playoffs, I'll turn my Interest-O-Meter up from "1" to "3"....

JD10367 on 12-18-2006 at 03:46 PM said:
Hard for me to get too worked about about basketball and hockey when a.) Boston's teams are mediocre, b.) the season is a billion games long, and c.) they let half the teams into the playoffs anyway.

I'll take a gander at the sports section when the respective sports have about two weeks to go, and if the Celts and Bruins are in a position to make the playoffs, I'll turn my Interest-O-Meter up from "1" to "3"....

I never thought I'd say this, but the last couple seasons I've really gotten in to the Wizards (being in their market). Arenas is an incredible player, and they are definitely exciting and have become a consistant playoff team. Now, if they could only start playing some 'D'...:banghead:

I bought 6 pairs of Friday night games, going this Friday vs. Philly. I'm trying to get into it, interested in which of the young kids develops. I got Loge 4 tix for only $70 a pair, which is half price.

I think this team has a ton of upside. There's young talent on it that hasn't quite matured yet in players like Jefferson, Green, and others. It's just gonna take some time imo. Doc is doing the best he can.

And are things that bad now? The team has won five in a row and is in first place. Ya, they're only 9-13, but so what?

joephoto on 12-18-2006 at 04:09 PM said:
I bought 6 pairs of Friday night games, going this Friday vs. Philly. I'm trying to get into it, interested in which of the young kids develops. I got Loge 4 tix for only $70 a pair, which is half price.

Once Christmas is over, I plan to buy a couple of tickets because I also want to check out the young guys in person.

Even though the C's don't win many games, I still get excited for basketball. Hopefully, in a couple of years they will get better.

JD10367 on 12-18-2006 at 03:46 PM said:

that's what makes hockey so fine......plenty of games to watch and go to and the playoffs go on forever..........I love it!!!!!!!!

chiefsgal on 12-18-2006 at 07:09 PM said:
that's what makes hockey so fine......plenty of games to watch and go to and the playoffs go on forever..........I love it!!!!!!!!

I love playoff hockey... Even if I don't have a dog in the fight, I find myself watching it.

Back