2011 NFL Combine Thread

If anyone is changing their evaluation of QBs based on some throws under no pressure and against no DBs, they are insane.

Yup, you said it. But heck, none other than Ozzie Newsome traded a 2003 2nd and 2004 1st to take Kyle Boller at #19 in 2003 based on his ability to throw the ball through the uprights from his knees at a distance. We all know how that worked out.

The Combine is about athleticism, not football. And no position is less based on athleticism than QB. It's a waste of time, except as an exercise as to how some guys might move up and down draft boards and impact on other prospects.

Stephen Paea sets combine record with 49 reps of 225 lbs. HOLY EFFIN S@#T!

Impressive, but not surprising. We knew Paea was a beast. Though I thought someone did 52 reps once (maybe not at the Combine).

A few bench press numbes for the D-lineman from http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011-nfl-combine-results-defensive-linemen/

Marvin Austin 38 reps
Allen Bailey 27
Jeremy Beal 22
Da'quan Bowers 22
Marcel Dareus 24
Cam Jordan 25
Ryan Kerrigan 31
Corey Liuget 27
Stephen Paea 49 :eek:
Robert Quinn 22
Aldon Smith 20
Phil Taylor 31
JJ Watt 34 :thumb:
Muhammed Wilkerson 27

For someone who was supposed to blow us away at the combine, Robert Quinn's 22 reps is a little underwhelming. Granted, workouts in shorts aren't the end-all-be-all, and a guy who may be slated to play an 3-4 OLB doesn't need the strength of a 5-technique or NT.

Stephen Paea is going to be a friggin beastly NT for someone.

Ryan Kerrigan's 31 is pretty damn impressive for a guy who may fit at 3-4 OLB.

Yup, you said it. But heck, none other than Ozzie Newsome traded a 2003 2nd and 2004 1st to take Kyle Boller at #19 in 2003 based on his ability to throw the ball through the uprights from his knees at a distance. We all know how that worked out.

Yup. :)

Vince Wilfork and the entire Patriots Nation would like to shake Ozzie's hand.

Roy Helu with an unofficial 4.43. Pretty fast.
Kendall Hunter 4.47.
Mark Ingram at 4.58

Some fast big backs:

Allen Bradford 4.56
Alex Green 4.55
Jamie Harper 4.58
Mike Leshoure 4.56

All 230# guys.

And Mario Fannin 4.37 at 231 lbs. (fastest by far of the bigger backs) with a 37.5 vertical to Ingram's 4.58 & 31.5 vertical at 215 lbs.

And Mario Fannin 4.37 at 231 lbs. (fastest by far of the bigger backs) with a 37.5 vertical to Ingram's 4.58 & 31.5 vertical at 215 lbs.

OK, he's a great athlete. But can he play?

Mark Ingram's official time was supposedly 4.58 and 4.62:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/27/alabamas-mark-ingram-runs-in-the-4-5s-at-combine/

Personally, I couldn't care less if he ran a 6.00 40. But does this drop him? And if so, how far? If he somehow slid to 33, I'd be interested. Not before, and I suspect he will still go 1st round. But you never know.

I love Ingram. Love him as a prospect and think he will go higher than people think due to his innate football instincts and production which are, to me, quite impressive.

Somebody is going to recognize that and take him in the first. Somewhere around 20 I'm guessing, but I'm with you if he drops. More of a bargain.

Also, that 40 was broken down and Ingram had clearly the fastest 10 yard start of any of his peers whose 40 was better.

Holes are less than 10 yards away and this kid gets to the correct hole before it closes way more often than not. Best way I can put it.

OK, he's a great athlete. But can he play?

He's the best pass-blocking/blitz pickup back in the draft, in my opinion. He's also a good enough receiver that Auburn lined him up wide on occasion. He has almost 100 career receptions for over 1000 yards and 9 career touchdowns. He had 233 carries for 1,366 yards (a 5.86 average), and generally did well in a rotation.

The one big problem I have with Fannin is his tendency to put the ball on the ground.If he can learn to hang on to the football, he becomes a very attractive mid- to late-round pickup as an eventual Sammy Morris or Fred Taylor replacement.

I was a big proponent of Bradford early in the year, and I remain impressed. His 4.5 at 240+ is really impressive, and he runs like a runaway train. Like him a lot.

He's the best pass-blocking/blitz pickup back in the draft, in my opinion. He's also a good enough receiver that Auburn lined him up wide on occasion. He has almost 100 career receptions for over 1000 yards and 9 career touchdowns. He had 233 carries for 1,366 yards (a 5.86 average), and generally did well in a rotation.

The one big problem I have with Fannin is his tendency to put the ball on the ground.If he can learn to hang on to the football, he becomes a very attractive mid- to late-round pickup as an eventual Sammy Morris or Fred Taylor replacement.

Good stuff.

I'm afraid wasn't very impressed with your boy Torrey Smith from what I saw. Straight line speed.

Draftinsider 40 times and position reports on WRs:

Jonathan Baldwin/Pittsburgh – Displayed consistent hands while adjusting to the errant throw. He extends his hands to make the reception away from his frame. He struggled running to and catching the deep pass. He ran poor routes.

Randall Cobb/Kentucky – He caught the ball exceptionally well extending his hands and snatching passes from the air. He ran quick and sharp routes. He also showed a lot of explosion and burst.

Leonard Hankerson/Miami – He struggled in the gauntlet and then picked it up. He plucks the ball from the air and displays good hand-eye coordination. A one speed receiver lacking burst.

Jerrel Jernigan/Troy – He showed a terrific burst, ran nice routes and displayed consistent hands with the ability to make the catch away from his body.

Julio Jones/Alabama – A smooth gliding receiver who ran good routes and displayed solid hands with a natural style. His burst was adequate but nothing spectacular.

Torrey Smith/Maryland – He played fast and caught the deep ball well. He did drip a number of passes and ran poor routes.
Owen Spencer/North Carolina State – He has a quick release off the line, a nice burst of speed and caught the ball well.

Titus Young/Boise State – He extended his hands to catch the ball away from his frame. He ran good routes and adjusted nicely to passes. He played off balance and was on the field a lot.

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=4903

Draftinsider 40 times and position reports on RBs:

Mario Fannin/Auburn – He looked very athletic. He displayed a quick change of direction with quick feet and caught the ball well.

Jamie Harper/Clemson – He was slow changing direction. He fought the ball as a pass catcher.

Roy Helu Jr./Nebraska – He displayed good cutting skills with a burst out of his break.

Mark Ingram/Alabama – He showed a burst. He caught the ball well. He did appear to be a one speed back for the most part.

Mikel LeShoure/IllinoisHe struggled changing direction and almost came to a stop while cutting.

Derrick Locke/Kentucky – He doesn’t lose momentum when changing direction. He showed great footwork and nice burst.

Owen Marecic/Stanford – He caught the ball well and worked hard yet displayed a lack of burst or ability to change direction.

Jacquizz Rodgers/Oregon State – He showed decent feet and a quick explosive change of direction but a limited burst overall.

Jordan Todman/Connecticut – He was fluid and explosive changing direction. He was very athletic on the field.

Shane Vereen/California – He showed a smooth change of direction while running low to the ground.

Ryan Williams/Virginia Tech – He looked athletic with good footwork and balance changing direction.

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=4899

Mike Mayock is very high on Jake Locker. And Randall Cobb is his value pick of the day.

I'd love Locker at 33 and/or Cobb at 74.

Mike Mayock is very high on Jake Locker. And Randall Cobb is his value pick of the day.

You really think BB will Waste a high second on a QB. The last pick BB wasted a good draft choice on was O'Connell in the 3rd round.

Cobb will be a nice WR for someone, but do you think he can play outside? I see him strictly as a slot guy at the next level.

Back