2011 Pats Draft Thread

mayoclinic

Sith Apprentice
Reaction score
Chev suggested starting a specific thread for discussion of Pats picks only. So here it is.

For the record, I think there are 3 guys who the Pats could potentially considering trading up for in this draft:

1. Cameron Jordan, DE/OLB, Cal
2. Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
3. Nick Fairley, DT/DE, Auburn

I think all 3 guys would be pro bowl "cornerstone" players for the Pats. I'm guessing that the Pats will do nothing until after pick 8, at which point they'll re-evaluate the situation. I think the most likely move would be a small trade up to the 12-14 range using 74 or 92. I think that there's at least as good a chance that the Pats trade back from 17 as trade up, but anything is possible.

Not too sure about Fairley. Isn't he a bit of a one-year wonder with a reputation for cheap shots? Agree re Jordan though. I keep hearing good things about him (and this reminds me that I should actually start watching College FB next year...).

Not too sure about Fairley. Isn't he a bit of a one-year wonder with a reputation for cheap shots? Agree re Jordan though. I keep hearing good things about him (and this reminds me that I should actually start watching College FB next year...).

I hear you, and it will be a factor, but I personally think that Fairley is good enough that BB would make an exception to the 1 year rule. Mayo had 2 years of tape, but it was really his junior year in which he stood out after he moved to MLB, and the Pats used a top 10 pick on him. Fairley is in a somewhat similar position - his sophomore year was an adjustment from JUCO ball, and then he exploded as a junior. So it's not entirely unprecedented. But I agree that BB will be more comfortable with Jordan and Jones, who have a larger body of production.

I hear you, and it will be a factor, but I personally think that Fairley is good enough that BB would make an exception to the 1 year rule. Mayo had 2 years of tape, but it was really his junior year in which he stood out after he moved to MLB, and the Pats used a top 10 pick on him. Fairley is in a somewhat similar position - his sophomore year was an adjustment from JUCO ball, and then he exploded as a junior. So it's not entirely unprecedented. But I agree that BB will be more comfortable with Jordan and Jones, who have a larger body of production.

Indeed. I agree that they may well trade up, though. If BB doesn't take a 4/5 tech and/or pass-rushing OLB type this year, I will be amazed.

Whilst we're here, I just want to say thanks to you guys for the excellent work in helping out, and "prepping" those of us who don't follow college FB. :thumb:

Mike Mayock interviewing BB on NFL Network. Classic BB non-answers.

With Washington on the clock at #10, I like the way this round is playing out. The Pats are moving close to reasonable trade up range (a 3rd round pick to move up to 12-14), and lots of good players are available:

- Cam Jordan - worth a trade up
- Nick Fairley - worth a trade up

Plus Prince Amukamara, Da'Quan Bowers, Robert Quinn, Ryan Kerrigan and JJ Watt. The Pats are pretty much guaranteed to get a very, very good player at 17, and possibly a stud with a small trade up.

Pats 5 picks away. On the board:

- Nick Fairley
- Cam Jordan
- Robert Quinn
- Prince Amukamara
- Ryan Kerrigan
- Da'Quan Bowers

The draft is falling perfectly for the Pats so far. Jordan, Bowers and Amukamara. Someone will be eager to trade back.

Miami at 15 and Washington at 16 could both go QB.

Washington on the clock, Pats up next.

Still available:

- Cameron Jordan
- Da'Quan Bowers
- Prince Amukamara
- Anthony Castonzo
- Ryan Kerrigan

Pats on the clock. Cam Jordan, Prince Amukamara, Da'Quan Bowers and Anthony Castonzo all available. Jordan time.

Back