2014 US Open Thread

anderson

Awfully Cavalier
Reaction score
Some pretty riveting matches being played this year. The marathon last night between Raonic and Nishikori was special, but the way Federer is moving at 33 years of age is probably what has impressed me the most.

I don't think he's going to win, but I feel so fortunate that I've been able to witness his entire career.

Some pretty riveting matches being played this year. The marathon last night between Raonic and Nishikori was special, but the way Federer is moving at 33 years of age is probably what has impressed me the most.

I don't think he's going to win, but I feel so fortunate that I've been able to witness his entire career.

I love everything about the Open. It's my fav of the slams.

Fed, has been outstanding & his net play has been very impressive. The Edberg influence?

It's a bummer, for me anyway, that Rafa couldn't defend his title. Him & Joker provide epic battles.

Seems like U.S. men's tennis is dead. That is a problem & I'm not sure what the fix is.

Not handing out every college scholarship to Europeans would probably be a start :coffee:

Also, I am annoyed that I've been in NYC three times recently and haven't a chance to actually go watch a night session. Definitely going next year, if I don't happen to catch a break and get there during finals this year.

After a fairly dismal showing by the American men in the US Open, the USTA has fired Patrick McEnroe as head of player development.

Epic comeback/implosion tonight, depending on whose side of the fence you're on.

Very watchable match -- Federer down 0-2 in sets and facing double match point as well in the 4th. Ended up winning in 5.

Epic comeback/implosion tonight, depending on whose side of the fence you're on.

Very watchable match -- Federer down 0-2 in sets and facing double match point as well in the 4th. Ended up winning in 5.

As someone who will watch and support Federer when he's playing, I felt horribly for Monfils tonight. You can see how badly he wanted it, how emotionally invested he was. He just cannot seem to manage his emotions and psyche over the course of a long match.

A guy with an immense amount of talent, but you could see him mentally crumble as the sets progressed. It was twofold -- firstly, when he experienced adversity, he outwardly expressed his emotion(s), therefore giving Federer an eye into his current psyche. Not saying players should go all poker-face like Federer, but there was way too much negative energy coming from Monfils after the 4th-set debacle. Some negative expression is expected, but the positive needs to outweigh the negative. It didn't, at least late in the match.

Secondly, it seems Monfils cannot mentally recover. I cannot look into his mind but it would seem to me that upon experiencing unpleasant emotions, he allows it to snowball and throws himself into a cycle of negative thought patterns. He needs to be mentally boosting himself up and thinking in a more forward, positive manner.

I really hope this guy can continue to practice and work on his mental toughness and endurance. If he can get his mind right he could easily win a major (or a few). Perhaps a sports psychologist would be a good idea for him. It can be accomplished -- mental fortitude, much like anything else, isn't something that we have by default. It has to be worked on over an extended period of time.

There was one point in the match last night, which you got to see on the usopen.org stream but not on the eapn feed due to commercials. During a change over, Monfils didn't even go to sit down. He was just pacing around and shooting weird glances to the crowd.

It was bizarre, but I think it illustrates that he's not calm enough to be a clear top 5ish player, despite having both talent and speed.

Women's finals rating were very good, but I haven't checked the men's.
I imagine that the ratings were bad for the men's finals, though, since there was no name recognition for the casual fan.

Back