2024 Draft discussion ONLY-please.

ParanoidPatriot

Big member
Reaction score
Chevss454 started a 2024 Draft thread back in September. During the last 6 months there has been some discussion on the upcoming draft.
However, there have also been discussion on a variety of other things that have nothing to do with the 2024 Draft.
So,let's keep this thread for discussing the 2024 only, which is the most important draft for the Patriots in many years.

This is how the draft class looks to me.
QB- might be the best class in many a year. Although that's what they said of the QB class of 3 years ago.
WR- One of the most talented and deepest WR classes in many a year.
OT- Very good class not just in 1st round talent but there are several 2nd and 3rd round players that could be starters.
IOL- Another very good group with some OT prospects that could be Pro Bowl players inside.
TE- not a very good class. Browers is the only 1st round TE and only one or two worthy of a 2nd round pick.
RB- Not a 1st round player in this draft. But there are a hell of a lot of good backs to be had in the mid-rounds.
I'll give my take the defensive side later.

On the defensive side of the ball, I view the draft this way.

DT- There may be 1 or 2 players worth a 1st round pick. There are quite a few from the 2nd round down to the 4th or 5th that could be good enough to start or be 1 or 2 down players.
DE-Edge Looks like this is an outstanding group from the top of the 1st round all the way to the later rounds.
LB- Not a really an expressive group. The earliest that 1 or 2 could reasonably go would be the 2nd round. After that, there are some that could be surprise in the 3rd or 4th.
CB- very strong and deep group this year. Some good talent could still be available in the mid rounds.
S- another strong and deep group, plus there are some big corners in the mid rounds that could be drafted earlier as safeties.

There are 3 QB'S that are considered to be top 5 picks, Williams, Maye, and Daniels. JJ McCarthy has risen into the mid 1st round by several draft gurus.
Both Micheal Penix and Bo Nix are either ranked lower 1st round or high 2nd.

To be honest none of them make me want to get naked an roll around on the grass.
Williams causes me the most concern. I don't think that he fits a pro style offense very well. He's better throwing on the move than in the pocket.

Depending on the first 2 picks, i'd like to see us trade down 3 or 4 spots and pick up another 2nd rounder.

I'd still in favor of a QB @ 3. I understand that the failure rate of 1st round QBs is bad, typically only1 or 2 franchise QBs in the 4-5 taken, but I don't see that as a reason not to wait until out 1st round pick is back in the 20's. The failure rate there is still bad. I mean, maybe the pain is less if the first round pick wasn't in the top 5, but the result is the same: no franchise QB.

Overall, I think there is a better chance at getting a very good OT with our pick #2 and a very good chance at getting a very good WR with our pick #3.

The difference, I think, is if our scouts identify a great QB prospect that would be available in top of round 2. Supposedly Wolf is great at that but I keep thinking if BB didn't want Mac, does that mean Wolf did?

The difference, I think, is if our scouts identify a great QB prospect that would be available in top of round 2. Supposedly Wolf is great at that but I keep thinking if BB didn't want Mac, does that mean Wolf did?
I still prefer we select Harrison Jr. A QB best friend is a game changing WR. Trade the pick to get more assets. Select ND Alt . Draft Penix Jr & WR in 2nd.

Last edited:
I like Maye at 3. If he’s gone trade back.

I have seen several mocks that Arizona was willing to give the #4 and #27 pick to the Pattiots for the 3rd pick. These mocks had Harrison available at the 3rd pick.
I would take that trade.
If Harrison is available at 3, and they don't take him, be prepared for the next 15 years of second-guessing. Especially when the entire QB class flames out.

If Harrison is available at 3, and they don't take him, be prepared for the next 15 years of second-guessing. Especially when the entire QB class flames out.
There's always second guessing about players who bust and players who don't. It isn't like first round WRs never bust. Probably a bigger change that Harrison busts that all members of the 2024 QB class bust.

There's always second guessing about players who bust and players who don't. It isn't like first round WRs never bust. Probably a bigger change that Harrison busts that all members of the 2024 QB class bust.
I mean, Ja'marr Chase and Jaylen Waddle say hello.

Sure we will hear that. I've seen several mocks that have Nabers going ahead of Harrison. I wouldn't do that.
But this WR class is so deep with talent if the Patriots don't pick a good one, that would be worse.

I still prefer we select Harrison Jr. A QB best friend is a game changing WR. Trade the pick to get more assets. Select ND Alt . Draft Penix Jr & WR in 2nd.
Couldn't disagree with this more. Wrs don't impact the success of a team a fraction of the way even a good qb does, much less a great qb. Calvin Johnson is a hall of fame wr and he did it all while the Lions averaged 5 wins a season firbhis entire career. 11 of the 14 qbs that started playoff games this year were picked in the 1st round and that number is realitiivly the same every year. Simply put I believe when you have the opportunity to draft a franchise QB, you take the shot.

Last edited:
Sorry but that doesn't make it a better argument to draft a wr. There is simply no statistical or historic argument to be made that the Pats should choose a WR.

As stated before, there is an abundance of very good WR'S in this draft. If we don't really love a QB then I'm for trading down and taking a top OT before WR.
Don't ask how many SB's an OT has won. Ask how many teams have won a SB with just an average OL.

Back