A fairly balanced look at Dillon vs The Bengals.

Undertaker #59*

Car'a'carn
Staff member
Reaction score
from The Boston Herald:

Reunion time for Dillon: Focus on back as Cincy hits town
By Michael Felger/ Patriots Insider
Wednesday, December 8, 2004

All involved parties will do their best this week to make sure Sunday's game at Gillette Stadium isn't just about Corey Dillon facing his old team, the Cincinnati Bengals.

But don't be fooled by the silence. The Patriots [stats, news] running back is most definitely thrilled to be out of Cincinnati and the Bengals are most definitely thrilled to have him gone. Dillon wants this game. The Bengals need this game.

If he's healthy, Dillon is going to be a featured player regardless of the sidebars. That's because the Bengals are most vulnerable on the ground, ranking 31st in the NFL against the run. They've given up 150 rushing yards or more in six of their 12 games. Two weeks ago, Baltimore could manage just 77 rushing yards against the Pats. Last Sunday, they rolled for 192 yards against the Bengals.

The numbers only highlight what everyone already knows.

``They're going to give him the ball and he's going to run. It's as simple as that,'' said Bengals linebacker Brian Simmons. ``Corey is up there being Corey, but you're not playing against Corey. You're playing against the scheme and the offense. They have other guys. It's not tennis.''

Cincinnati writers had hoped Dillon would participate in the weekly out-of-town teleconference today, but he refused. That's nothing new because Dillon hasn't done a conference call all year, but he clearly wasn't about to start this week.

Fans in Cincinnati can be excused if they raise an eyebrow every time Dillon says all he wants to do is win and that's why he's so happy in New England. They must be wondering where that terrific attitude was last year when the Bengals were finally winning games under Marvin Lewis and Dillon pouted as Rudi Johnson got the ball down the stretch.

Fans in Cincinnati still remember the time Dillon refused to go into a game under Bruce Coslet in 2000. They can only laugh when they hear that the biggest controversy Dillon has caused with the Pats came last week in Cleveland when he asked to go back into the game.

On Monday, Lewis put some of the responsibility for Dillon's problems in Cincinnati on his own shoulders.

``I failed to win Corey over to being fully committed as a Cincinnati Bengal,'' said Lewis, who stuck with Johnson in the final month after Dillon returned from a groin injury. ``That's my fault. Other than that, I have no regrets.''

And why would he? Johnson (1,105 yards, 4.1-yards per carry, seven touchdowns) has continued to do the job, and with the second-round draft pick the Bengals got from the Pats, they selected safety Madieu Williams out of Maryland. A starter, Williams has three interceptions and leads the Bengals with 54 solo tackles. The Bengals have won five of their last seven games and have put themselves back on the playoff bubble.

One of the Bengals players who had a problem with Dillon was Willie Anderson, whom Dillon called a ``bum'' after the right tackle criticized him for throwing his pads into the stands following the 2003 season finale. Anderson and Dillon have since reconciled, and Dillon still keeps in touch with several Bengals players, including receivers Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh. The reunion comes Sunday.

For now, the Bengals say they aren't surprised with Dillon's performance or attitude.

``I think he looks like the guy we started with last year before he got hurt,'' Lewis said. ``I don't think he looks like a different guy. He's got different colors on.''

I personally think both teams made out on the deal, and I think its silly to try and prove which team got the better end.

Dillon has been great so far. If he becomes a problem in the future, he will be gone. Its as simple as that.

Undertaker #59 said:
from The Boston Herald:

I personally think both teams made out on the deal, and I think its silly to try and prove which team got the better end.

Dillon has been great so far. If he becomes a problem in the future, he will be gone. Its as simple as that.

I think it's silly too - but if you go over to the Bengals board, you'll see the level of hatred that some of their fans have for him borders on crazy. Did we bitch about Terry Glenn for that long? I can only speak for myself, but I stopped thinking about him before he was even traded to Green Bay (but we all knew he was going somewhere else).

Maybe it's different, I don't know - but it seems like a similar situation to me.

Re: Re: A fairly balanced look at Dillon vs The Bengals.

Annihilus said:
I Did we bitch about Terry Glenn for that long?

Who is Terry Glenn?

People in Cincinnati continue to bitch about Dillon because this is Cincinnati. To a lot of the yahoos around here he's an uppity you-know-what. And he did behave rather badly at times. This is a peevish little quasi-Southern backwater, and it's hard for people to let things go here. However, if Dillon shows his behind in Bean Town like he did from time to time here, I'm sure the Southies can out-do the Cincinnucky crowd in spewing venom.

Dillon and Glenn are 2 diffrent things... Glenn was a good player..while Dillon was always the face of the Bengals during his time thier..2 diffrent things

Dillon may be in a rush

Dillon may be in a rush
By Kevin Mannix
Sunday, December 5, 2004

CLEVELAND -- So what's to worry about today? Other than being at home, which is not necessarily an advantage here, the Browns don't have much going for them as they host the defending world champions today.

Their coach either quit or was forced out on Monday. Their defense gave up 58 points to the Bengals last Sunday. Rudi Johnson bowled them over for more than 200 yards as the Bengals were more productive in the running game (253 yards) than passing (251 yards). The same holds true for losses to the Jets and Steelers the previous two weeks.

It is a shortcoming that has not been lost on interim coach Terry Robiskie.

``The No. 1 thing you need to do to win at any level is stop the run on defense and run the ball on offense,'' Robiskie acknowledged. ``We'll do as much as we can to generate a lot of energy.''

When the Patriots [stats, news] run

Corey Dillon comes into the game as the AFC's third-most productive rusher and is on a pace to set both team and personal records for rushing yards. If he continues on his current pace, he'll finish with 1,681 yards. That wouldsmash Curtis Martin's club record (1,487 yards in 1995) and Dillon's personal best (1,435 yards with Cincinnati in 2000).

He's also averaging a career-high 4.8 yards per carry and has gained more than 100 yards six times this season, including in five of his last six starts.

As a team, the Pats rank 12th in rushing (124 yards per game), but they're averaging 150 rushing yards in the four games they played in November. If you extrapolatd just Dillon's numbers, the Pats would rank in the top five in the league.

Going into last week's debacle, the Browns had allowed less than 120 rushing yards per game. Against the Browns, Dillon hasn't had any one game like Johnson's of last week, but he's been pretty effective. In 10 games against the Browns, Dillon has gained 1,011 yards on 199 carries, a 5.1-yard average. Three of his 10 best games in the last seven years came against Cleveland.

EDGE: Patriots

When the Patriots pass

The Browns come into this game with the league's 14th-ranked pass defense. They've allowed an average of 205 passing yards a game, slightly more than the Pats, who have given up an average of 203 yards a game.

The numbers last week were understandably bad. Pats coach Bill Belichick [news], however pointed out in his weekly ``these guys are good'' speech that the numbers were deceptive.

``It wasn't like guys were running wide open,'' he said. ``There were (defenders) there. There were plays that looked like foul balls that you expected to fall incomplete but they ended up in the end zone. It was a freakish game.''

The Pats offense hasn't relied on freakish events. They've been very effective and have spread the ball around, putting up 227 passing yards a game, 11th best in the league. Tom Brady [news] has a 91.3 quarterback rating and eight of his receivers are in double figures for receptions, led by David Givens [news] and David Patten [news].

Kennard Lang and former Cowboy Ebenezer Ekuban each hahev five sacks. Defensive coordinator Dave Campo prefers to build his defense around coverage but that could change now that Robiskie is the new head coach. The front group hasn't been supplying much pressure recently and a new coach could signify a new approach.

Not that it will matter. If this game is close, THAT would be freaky.

EDGE: Patriots

Undertaker #59 said:
from The Boston Herald:

You probably didn't bitch about Glenn for that long because you won the Super Bowl that year. I've been one of the few in the Bengalzone that has defended Corey. Although I don't agree with some of the thing he did and said, I do understand. Seven years of losing can take it's toll on you and I don't blame him for wanting out.

With that being said I hope we pound the s!!t out of him!

Back