A Giant Has Left The Stadium. Pele: 1940 to 2022

Very sad, a true Global Icon, the first global sporting superstar, and named by the IOC in 1999 as the Athlete of the Century.

Brazil has gone into 3 days of official mourning; that's how huge he was there. And a thoroughly decent man as well. It was amazing what he then did with the New York Cosmos. For a time, he and Muhammed Ali were the biggest sporting/celebrity icons in the world.

aliboxer2601y.jpg

FjD_jP4XgAIPIC_.jpg:large

Everyone in New York wanted to be around him, Studio 54 would be packed with celebrities if he was there. Andy Warhol said his maxim about 15 mins of fame did not apply to Pele, he would be famous for 15 centuries.

You shouldn't be up at 2AM posting on the Planet. Just sayin...

Believe it or not I had just woken up for the day.

It's incredible what happens when one throws off all time frames and arbitrary constraints of the world.

Plus, I do a lot of work with friends and associates in other countries and time zones.

View: https://youtu.be/uVXR2LYeFBI

Last edited:
Very sad, a true Global Icon, the first global sporting superstar, and named by the IOC in 1999 as the Athlete of the Century.

Brazil has gone into 3 days of official mourning; that's how huge he was there. And a thoroughly decent man as well. It was amazing what he then did with the New York Cosmos. For a time, he and Muhammed Ali were the biggest sporting/celebrity icons in the world.

aliboxer2601y.jpg

FjD_jP4XgAIPIC_.jpg:large

Everyone in New York wanted to be around him, Studio 54 would be packed with celebrities if he was there. Andy Warhol said his maxim about 15 mins of fame did not apply to Pele, he would be famous for 15 centuries.

Yes, all of this.

I played soccer for years when I was a kid.

Even though soccer has not much of the American heart, he was a giant who transcended so much.

A single word name everyone knows and should always know.

I heard about Pele, back when I was a young boy, in the mid-60's. My brother, who is about 10 years older than me, (and he was very athletic), mentioned Pele to me, and I knew he was a fine world soccer player. I'm sad that he has passed away, but he was an older man (as was Dick Flavin, who also passed away a couple of days ago).

Yes, all of this.

I played soccer for years when I was a kid.

Even though soccer has not much of the American heart, he was a giant who transcended so much.

A single word name everyone knows and should always know.
A lot of kids our general age played soccer, directly because of Pele, and his decision to play in the NASL.

There was no US soccer program nationally until that happened.

A lot of kids our general age played soccer, directly because of Pele, and his decision to play in the NASL.

There was no US soccer program nationally until that happened.

You are absolutely right.

I played in the Brockton Youth Soccer League from its inception. My dad sponsored our team. None of us knew anything about the sport but we learned and embraced it and Pele was the center of the reason why.

Pele and Evil Knieval where my heroes and I didn't even know why then, i do now and the world has never been the same since. 😂🔥

Last edited:
Back