Air purifier/ionizers for the home.....Some help?

Mr. Happy Sock

I bring absolutely nothing to the table
Reaction score
Hey everyone-

I was hoping you guys could chime in and steer me in some good directions regarding an air purifier/ionizer for my home. I went to my cousin's house the other day and he had an older Oreck model ionizer that zapped the air clean and I could tell the difference in the smell of the air in the house.

Anyhow, I figure it cannot hurt to have one in the house, and I'd like to buy one. The thing is, I don't want to just waste money on an expensive fan; I'd like to actually buy something that will work and clean the air good before recirculating.

I kicked around amazon and wal mart and found a bunch of stuff that looks interesting, but quite honestly I just dont know what to buy. I have no problem spending a few bucks (I'd be comfortable with paying $200-$250 for a good system), but as i stated before I just don't want to waste my money on an expensive fan.

My house isn't too big; It's your standard front to back split (About 1100 square feet) with 3 bedrooms, a finished basement, and a big hairy dog that sheds like crazy. I just put hardwoods in the living room so I'm hoping that cuts down on some of the air particle problems.

I figure I'm going to buy something and put it in the living room to let it do it's thing and circulate air throughout the main living level....But again I want something that actually works and doesnt just circulate air.

Thanks in advance

I have a Csonka ozone purifier in my office at home. Even with the patio door and the door to the rest of the house closed, 5 minutes after I am done with a cigar or 10 minutes after I fart, my wife can't tell that I created stink in there. Mine ran about $250 4 years ago and is best for a single room but I believe that they make larger units.

I have a Csonka ozone purifier in my office at home. Even with the patio door and the door to the rest of the house closed, 5 minutes after I am done with a cigar or 10 minutes after I fart, my wife can't tell that I created stink in there. Mine ran about $250 4 years ago and is best for a single room but I believe that they make larger units.

So you're saying that Csonka sucks up your farts...

I appreciate all the input.

I realize that there is a big movement for these being junk; that they are nothing more than expensive fans. While I may not nessecarily disagree with that train of thought, I also see and feel the difference in a room with one of them.

I guess I'm going forward with the mindset of buying one, and as I stated before what is the best one for your money?

And yes, fart-munching is a must :)

Something else to consider is humidity control.

This probably won't do much for odors, unless you have too high humidity and have mold issues.

However, it can make a big difference on dust and particles in the air. If the air is too dry, you'll have a boatload more dust in the air. It can also effect how anything volatile in plastic, wood, carpet, etc. evaporates.

If you can keep the humidity at ~60% year round, it will reduce the load on any air purification system.

I have 2 units made by Oreck. Great machines!

Holmes is another well established and reliable brand. I have 2 of their humidifiers and have had no trouble. I could say the same about Bionaire. I rarely say this but go by the library and check out Consumer Reports. It could be helpful.

Back