Amatuer Photography Thread

Here's a shot I took of a friend of mine on an Irish golf course. It came out a little on the dark side so I tweaked it a bit and yes, the sun really did look like that.

I took this outside the apartment Monday. Sunday, the sun was streaming through them for an incredible effect, but we were leaving at the time. Unfortunately Monday was cloudy (and quite windy), so not quite as impressive. I love the trees though. I'm not sure if they're related or not, but there's a similar bush called, aptly enough, burning bush. During the summer, standard green foilage, but when fall hits, they turn the most incredibly deep red.

Some older pics, but figured I'd toss 'em up. My brother took these during an immediately following Katrina hitting. He lives in Hattiesburg, MS which is about 80 miles inland. Obviously, they didn't get crushed like New Orleans or Gulf Port, but they got nailed pretty bad. Unfortunately, all the focus was on the coastal, so they had no news coverage (except 30 seconds with Brett Favre talking about his house) and no help from emergency services. They were without electricity, food, or even fresh water (had some bottled water and sodas to drink and whatever dry food they had) for a week. They were having to go to the apartment pool with a bucket to get water to fill the toilet and flush it.

With no electricity, there was no way to get gas, so they couldn't even get out for the first week. Plus, inbound roads were controlled by military by then (no civilian traffic), so no-one could get in to bring them food or such. I finally orchestrated a "rescue" playing phone tag from Boston. Most of the cells down there could receive calls, but very few could ever call out. I got the idea to have one of my brother-in-law's employees take a fleet truck from their store in Jackson, MS with a tank of gas and some food and such down to them. I figured the National Guard would let the fleet truck through assuming it was official help.

Ok, enough storytime, on to some pics. This is the storm just starting to hit full force. I was actually on the cell with him through most of it (I was watching radar on intellicast to tell him when to seek cover, as it were).

This happened a few minutes later. 2x4 decided to knock on the wall. I was still on the phone with him when he had just turned away from the glass sliding door. I figure a couple of feet to the left and it would have gone through the door and into my brother's back.

Edit: For some reason it's not taking the attachment.

Inside wall. Let's see if it uploads this time.
Edit: Apparently not. Not sure why. Would one of the mighty mods care to look and see if there's an error or anything? As far as I know it's just a joe average JPG. The message posts fine with no errors, but pic is no there.

Some damage around town.

Edit: Another that won't upload. Not sure what's up there.

Moebius on 11-01-2006 at 10:05 AM said:
Inside wall. Let's see if it uploads this time.
Edit: Apparently not. Not sure why. Would one of the mighty mods care to look and see if there's an error or anything? As far as I know it's just a joe average JPG. The message posts fine with no errors, but pic is no there.

:confused:

I've seen the pic fine both times.

Moebius on 11-01-2006 at 10:10 AM said:
Some damage around town.

Edit: Another that won't upload. Not sure what's up there.

See this one fine too.

Undertaker #59 on 11-01-2006 at 09:11 AM said:
See this one fine too.

Very strange. Anyone else seeing them? I'm just getting the usual "X" icon for when an image is missing.

I see dead people.

and your pics too, love the red foliage one

Back