Another New England landmark bites the dust..

tehrick67

Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/201...dmark-close/eQMRxTVbwzMDDnRB9CPoLM/story.html

It’s the last roundtop for the Hilltop Steak House.

The landmark restaurant on Route 1 in Saugus, known for its juicy steaks, its giant cactus sign, and its herd of plastic cows, has announced that it will close later this month, citing a dramatic decline in business.

Server Sue Henderson of Hamilton prepared to deliver some steaks in 2007. (Dina Rudick/Globe Staff)
“Over the past several years we have seen a dramatic change in the volume of our business,” the restaurant wrote the selectmen Wednesday. “The continued change in the demographics of our customer base, increased competition and the increased cost to run this fabulous landmark has been too great to overcome. We therefore have no choice but to close our restaurant.”

The letter was signed “The Management of Hilltop Steakhouse” and sent to the attention of Selectmen Chairman Michael Serino.

A mecca for beef lovers, the restaurant offers, among other things, an 18-ounce bone-in sirloin steak and 14-ounce servings of rib eye steak, boneless sirloin steak, and prime rib, according to its menu.

Selectwoman Julie Mitchell said she heard the news this morning.

“It’s very sad,” she said. “It’s been there for so long. So many memories have been there.”

One of Mitchell’s first jobs was a hostess at the Hilltop, she said. Mitchell noted that the Hilltop isn’t just an important monument for Saugus, but that people from around the world have traveled to eat at the restaurant.

In recent years, the restaurant, “wasn’t what it used to be,” she said. “In the past, there would be lines and you would wait for hours.”

- See more at: http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/201...zMDDnRB9CPoLM/story.html#sthash.085PHHzd.dpuf

Man, sounded like a great place....very sorry to hear that. The deeper question has to be...why? Can the average person not afford steaks on a regular basis anymore?

Don't like the sound of this, it has to be tied to some deeply rooted demographic shifts.

Man, sounded like a great place....very sorry to hear that. The deeper question has to be...why? Can the average person not afford steaks on a regular basis anymore?

Don't like the sound of this, it has to be tied to some deeply rooted demographic shifts.
The middle class is going extinct, and Fat Cats don't eat at low class restaurant's...:coffee:

There still Texas roadhouse. They have great steaks at a good price.

Just one man's perspective - flame away if you disagree...

I only ate there once, probably 20 years ago. What I remember is several huge dining rooms, a very noisy environment with table announcements coming over the loudspeaker every 20 seconds. Waitresses rushing from table to table, only interested in getting you in and out quickly so the table can be turned over and another tip-producing customer can be seated.

And very ordinary food. The steak I ordered was not memorable, and the sides were bland and mushy.

Not a place I would take anyone if I were dating. Not a place I would take a family. There's a younger generation that goes out for tapas and wine, or sushi, or Asian fusion - that crowd isn't interested in a Hilltop style of restaurant.

And as imapig mentioned, the upscale older crowd doesn't go there either.

People want relaxing ambiance and good quality food for their money. The Hilltop offered neither.

I only ate there once, probably 20 years ago. What I remember is several huge dining rooms, a very noisy environment with table announcements coming over the loudspeaker every 20 seconds. Waitresses rushing from table to table, only interested in getting you in and out quickly so the table can be turned over and another tip-producing customer can be seated.

And very ordinary food. The steak I ordered was not memorable, and the sides were bland and mushy.

Not a place I would take anyone if I were dating. Not a place I would take a family. There's a younger generation that goes out for tapas and wine, or sushi, or Asian fusion - that crowd isn't interested in a Hilltop style of restaurant.

People want relaxing ambiance and good quality food for their money. The Hilltop offered neither.
Precisely.

I only ate there once as well. Funny, I remember the steak very well. Just sayin.

This is about the changing demographic not looking for a steak house, medium raw, taste the flesh and wipe the blood from your face experience but some fluffball asian fusion tex mex vegan non gluten dairy free frozen in nitrogen spinach puree bullshit. As Tip was so kind to point out.

Me, give me steak, seared in flame, bleeding in the middle, a baked potato and a salad. And a beer. Only thing better is an old fashioned clambake with lobster.

Me, give me steak, seared in flame, bleeding in the middle, a baked potato and a salad. And a beer.
That's good stuff, but I can do all that at home. Faster, cheaper, and way better than what I experienced at the Hilltop. And when I sit down to enjoy it I'm not in a 90 dB environment with cafeteria style decor.

When I go out to eat I want to have food that I can't easily make for myself, or wouldn't think to prepare.

For example, we were out at an Italian place on Tuesday night. Half-price on full bottles of wine, and lots of interesting items on the menu. One dish we ordered was the venison lasagna. Another was gnocchi stuffed with sausage, ricotta, and fennel and served with pureed butternut squash and radicchio. Perhaps to you this is indistinguishable from the pureed spinach bullshit you mentioned, but to me it's the dining out raison d'etre.

Not every meal I eat is steak and potatoes. And I loathe BBQ. :D

Interesting Tip- so perhaps it's more of a question of value - and Hilltop apparently didn't keep up with the competition in that key category.

Get outta my head!

You nailed it. I was thinking the same, line for line. Word for word.

I'd sooner bring the fam to Longhorn.

My memories of the place are the butcher shop and driving past it, seeing the cactus and cows.

Good food or bad, it's one of those things I remember as a kid.

My memories of the place are the butcher shop and driving past it, seeing the cactus and cows.

Good food or bad, it's one of those things I remember as a kid.

Same here. We didn't go there to ray very often.

However the last 10 years our so the food i think has gone very downhill. So I'm not completely surprised. Their dressing however was fantastic. If i wanted a steak though that would not be my first choice, or second, or third.

Well be weird not seeing the big cactus lit up. Although i no longer live in the area so it won't affect me much i guess. I still hope to get back to the north shore one day.

I haven't been there since I was a young un. Prolly 30+ years, so there's that. We hit the Hilltop in college then the Banana. I suppose the banana is closed now too, as well as the Kowloon. :sulk:

I haven't been there since I was a young un. Prolly 30+ years, so there's that. We hit the Hilltop in college then the Banana. I suppose the banana is closed now too, as well as the Kowloon. :sulk:

It used to be closed and reopened many years later probably about 6 or 7 years ago? They redid it all and it looks really nice inside now. I am talking about the banana. Kowloon has never closed and is still going strong!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oXmyafs0-f4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It used to be closed and reopened many years later probably about 6 or 7 years ago? They redid it all and it looks really nice inside now. I am talking about the banana. Kowloon has never closed and is still going strong!

Banana is open.

What's the Chinese place with the beautiful building closed up on the hill?

Banana is open.

What's the Chinese place with the beautiful building closed up on the hill?

I think you are talking about Weylus? No idea if that's spelled right. It's been closed for years. Different people tried to reopen it as something and it never lasted. Unless it's changed since I've been up that way.

I know the banana is open lol i went to it the first week it reopened like 6 or 7 years ago. Maybe i wasn't clear on that part :p

I think you are talking about Weylus? No idea if that's spelled right. It's been closed for years. Different people tried to reopen it as something and it never lasted. Unless it's changed since I've been up that way.

I know the banana is open lol i went to it the first week it reopened like 6 or 7 years ago. Maybe i wasn't clear on that part :p
Perv

Isnt he chinese place called Kowloon?

Back