Another positive, upbeat, unselfish and entertaining Branch interview

I am not sure he is in a position to be negative, selfish, non humble, and non entertaining at this point.

I am not sure he is in a position to be negative, selfish, non humble, and non entertaining at this point.

Yeah well ok. I guess when he was SB MVP and riding cloud nine he was a real douche, wasn't he? :coffee:

Yeah well ok. I guess when he was SB MVP and riding cloud nine he was a real douche, wasn't he? :coffee:

I was being assy. But, well yeah he was he asked the Patriots for a ton of money and ended up having to be traded....he no longer has that kind of pull.

I've always liked Deion Branch. He seems like a real upbeat guy. And a good receiver. Just a joy to have on the team. He is getting older (aren't we all!), and I've seen his skill diminish a bit last season.

He's the next speaker at the Patriots Hall of Fame speaker series, I think on June 9th if memory serves.

He was a selfish prick once when he wanted more money, but he learned his lesson while in exile to Seattle.

He was a selfish prick once when he wanted more money, but he learned his lesson while in exile to Seattle.

You mean when he, as a pro athlete, was trying to financially capitilize on his talent during what would no doubt be a relatively short professional sports career in order to support his family which includes a son born with viral meningitis which requires constant and extremely expensive medical care and treatment?

Is that when you mean?

Yeah, he was a real prick then.

You mean when he, as a pro athlete, was trying to financially capitilize on his talent during what would no doubt be a relatively short professional sports career in order to support his family which includes a son born with viral meningitis which requires constant and extremely expensive medical care and treatment?

Is that when you mean?

Well I am sure he could have "supported" his family on less than the 8 mil a year he was asking for...I imagine the pats would have gave him around 5 or so. But he got his money, and he went to another team and basically as a pro athlete he failed, and then he came back, now he is making about 1.5 mil or so a year. You think he is still able to support his family? Its pretty hard to use the "he has to support his family" line on people who are not making 5 mil a year. As a player it is your option to go get whatever you want, but that does not mean the fans of the team you are leaving are going to jump for joy over it, nor should they be expected to.

Is that when you mean?

Yep. His ego got bigger than his talent for awhile.

Well I am sure he could have "supported" his family on less than the 8 mil a year he was asking for...I imagine the pats would have gave him around 5 or so. But he got his money, and he went to another team and basically as a pro athlete he failed, and then he came back, now he is making about 1.5 mil or so a year. You think he is still able to support his family? Its pretty hard to use the "he has to support his family" line on people who are not making 5 mil a year. As a player it is your option to go get whatever you want, but that does not mean the fans of the team you are leaving are going to jump for joy over it, nor should they be expected to.

Yep. His ego got bigger than his talent for awhile.

Patently false.

Branch wasn't paid $8mm and his issues with the contract had nothing whatsoever to do with total dollars. It was that NE was refusing to tear up the final year of his rookie deal even with the contract extension. Their initial offer didn't even have any guarantees kicking in until after the 2006 season.

Not to be an asshat, but I wish people understood the facts before making accusations.

Patently false.

Branch wasn't paid $8mm and his issues with the contract had nothing whatsoever to do with total dollars. It was that NE was refusing to tear up the final year of his rookie deal even with the contract extension. Their initial offer didn't even have any guarantees kicking in until after the 2006 season.

Not to be an asshat, but I wish people understood the facts before making accusations.

The Patriots were not going to pay Branch what seattle was going to pay him...simple as that and after his stay in seattle I bet they wish they would not have either...but thanks for the first rounder. Its very simple on the pats, if they can replace you, and you want to much money, you will be gone, so they can play the game like bruschi did or make yourself irreplaceable.

The Patriots were not going to pay Branch what seattle was going to pay him...simple as that and after his stay in seattle I bet they wish they would not have either...but thanks for the first rounder. Its very simple on the pats, if they can replace you, and you want to much money, you will be gone, so they can play the game like bruschi did or make yourself irreplaceable.

Yet another falsehood. At the 11th hour, Bill was prepared to give Branch an identical contract to the one that Seattle offered, as long as Deion fired his agent, Jeff Chayut.

Yet another falsehood. At the 11th hour, Bill was prepared to give Branch an identical contract to the one that Seattle offered, as long as Deion fired his agent, Jeff Chayut.

The best offer I heard they offered Branch was a 3 year contract extension through 2009 4 mil sign bonus, 1.4 mil in 2007, 4.3 mil in 2008, and 4.3 mil in 2009, that is nothing close to what he got in seattle. If NE wanted him that bad, they would not have let him seek a trade. Branch also filed two grievances against the Patriots as well, he was also fined 600k by the Patriots...so no it was not all flowers and rainbows, it was a bad parting of the ways. Seattle gave him 6 years 39 mil, I never heard the Pats were even close and looking at his stay in seattle, they did the right thing.

The best offer I heard they offered Branch was a 3 year contract extension through 2009 4 mil sign bonus, 1.4 mil in 2007, 4.3 mil in 2008, and 4.3 mil in 2009, that is nothing close to what he got in seattle. If NE wanted him that bad, they would not have let him seek a trade. Branch also filed two grievances against the Patriots as well, he was also fined 600k by the Patriots...so no it was not all flowers and rainbows, it was a bad parting of the ways. Seattle gave him 6 years 39 mil, I never heard the Pats were even close and looking at his stay in seattle, they did the right thing.

The key part of this is "I never heard". Simply put, middy, you don't know what you are talking about. This isn't opinion on my part, you genuinely aren't aware of critical facts.

The key part of this is "I never heard". Simply put, middy, you don't know what you are talking about. This isn't opinion on my part, you genuinely aren't aware of critical facts.

Well shouldnt you give your source, instead of throwing out insults to me? What did I say in that last post that was not true...please explain. I am not giving opinion, I am giving what I have read. If it is different then please share your source.

Well shouldnt you give your source, instead of throwing out insults to me? What did I say in that last post that was not true...please explain.

I already told you what was not true. And I didn't insult you at all, I stated a fact, that you don't know the facts.

It is possible to reply, "Oh, I didn't know that. I guess I was wrong." Sometimes it even feels good.

I already told you what was not true. And I didn't insult you at all, I stated a fact, that you don't know the facts.

It is possible to reply, "Oh, I didn't know that. I guess I was wrong." Sometimes it even feels good.

Owslek.....how can I say I was wrong when the only statement I have heard is from you? Sorry, but I need a little better source than guy on message board. I made a statement based on what I have read, you made a statement based on....well because you said so...where did your information come from, I would like to see.

The fact is Branch held out while he was under contract. He tried to play hard ball and it WAS about the money. His rookie contract was not up and he basically said pay me more now, rip up the last year of the contract, or trade me. I remember it well. It was about money, although he tried to spin it about being about family or some BS. He got traded, thought he'd continue to be elite, failed miserably, and came crawling back contrite. Lesson learned.

Bottom line - it was about the money and ego. He had a contract he should have honored. I can't stand these guys that sign the dotted line, ala Revis, then think it doesn't mean anything.

I really don't care if he makes the team or not. I think he is very replaceable.

The fact is Branch held out while he was under contract. He tried to play hard ball and it WAS about the money. His rookie contract was not up and he basically said pay me more now, rip up the last year of the contract, or trade me. I remember it well. It was about money, although he tried to spin it about being about family or some BS. He got traded, thought he'd continue to be elite, failed miserably, and came crawling back contrite. Lesson learned.

Bottom line - it was about the money and ego. He had a contract he should have honored. I can't stand these guys that sign the dotted line, ala Revis, then think it doesn't mean anything.

I really don't care if he makes the team or not. I think he is very replaceable.

This is what I heard as well....Branch was offered an extension, he wanted more, he held out, he filed a grievance because NE turned down a second rounder from another team, and finally he was traded for a first rounder...

I'd say both Branch and the Pats were worse off with the situation going down the way it did. I'd much rather have had Branch all those years than what they got for him (Meriweather).

Back