Are we headed for a QB controversy?

Zappe owes a lot of his stats to play action. And realistically, all else equal, Mac wouldn't put up those same numbers on the same set of play action passes.

Reason being, when the opposing QB is an untested 4th round rookie with questionable measurables from a small school that didn't run a pro-style offense, and he's helming a team with an outstanding running game...you sell out against the run when they show run!

But Mac was excellent in play action last year. So he’d be good if given the chance. They haven’t run much play action for Mac. There was a striking stat showing just how different they playcall with Zappe vs Mac. Totally different offense so it’s not fair to compare. Mac is getting crappy play calls

Mac lost his edge later on last season...not this season.

7 picks his last 5 games in 2021. They messed him up telling him to go for deeper throws. Really dumb coaching. That’s not Mac’s strength.

But Mac was excellent in play action last year. So he’d be good if given the chance.
Not necessarily. Play action works because the defense bites on the run. Which is what you do when an offense is starting a rookie that hasn't proven he can/will hurt you deep, and has successfully committed to the running game.
They haven’t run much play action for Mac. There was a striking stat showing just how different they playcall with Zappe vs Mac. Totally different offense so it’s not fair to compare. Mac is getting crappy play calls
'Zactly. Not 100% sold on that last sentence yet, but what you're saying is my point. A defense isn't going to bite as much on play action for Mac as for Zappe, because Mac has now shown he's willing and able to go deep.

Not necessarily. Play action works because the defense bites on the run. Which is what you do when an offense is starting a rookie that hasn't proven he can/will hurt you deep, and has successfully committed to the running game.

'Zactly. Not 100% sold on that last sentence yet, but what you're saying is my point. A defense isn't going to bite as much on play action for Mac as for Zappe, because Mac has now shown he's willing and able to go deep.

Yeah I think you’re getting tripped up on theory.

1. Mac was factually great at play action last year. Even though the opposing defense had to respect Mac

2. And the Pats ran the ball great with Zappe. Even though the opposing defense loaded up the box against Zappe, the Pats run offense was still great.

Yeah I think you’re getting tripped up on theory.

1. Mac was factually great at play action last year. Even though the opposing defense had to respect Mac
Mac had great stats throwing play action last year UNTIL defenses started to show him some respect.
2. And the Pats ran the ball great with Zappe. Even though the opposing defense loaded up the box against Zappe, the Pats run offense was still great.
Against the Lions. Not against Cleveland or Chicago.

Mac had great stats throwing play action last year UNTIL defenses started to show him some respect.

Against the Lions. Not against Cleveland or Chicago.
There's more wrong with this team than the QBS. It remains to be seen if the team overall is headed in the right direction, one game good or bad isn't going to tell us that on it's own. Still alot of season left and the story is still being written.

There's more wrong with this team than the QBS. It remains to be seen if the team overall is headed in the right direction, one game good or bad isn't going to tell us that on it's own. Still alot of season left and the story is still being written.
I agree with this. The only thing I would add is that when the QB situation is not settled it is very difficult for a team to perform well. That position more than any other really dictates how the team is going to do overall because if you’re not getting high level play then it is very difficult to win games in todays league.

Back