Are we headed for a QB controversy?

O.Z.O.

Jiminy Fucking Christmas...
Reaction score
I like Mac, the kid is a baller. That being said, Zappe appears to be the better athlete with a better arm. If he keeps playing like this, does Mac automatically get the starting role back, especially if the Pats are winning?

Before you answer that, the Pats once had a Pro-Bowl caliber starting QB who ultimately lost his job to a low round draft pick (lower than Zappe).

When Mac got injured, the team was not where they are now. They have improved in many ways. So, I'm open to see how he does once he gets back. I like Bailey. Also, how soon before we see Mac could shift my opinion if Bailey is out there more. Two games , he has done well and he has gotten help from players doing amazing catches, run after the catch and more. I would want to see more games from him.

now that the obligatory wise-guy post is out of the way... I think we have to pump the brakes while also enjoying the ride and taking the wins.
Zappe has done great, but he played Lions (D sucks) and Browns. I hope he starts Monday as I doubt Mac is ready (or wise for Mac to come back that soon) and Bears was one we all had as "winnable".
Offense seems to have gotten their act together somewhat (Fatty Matty in particular) and Mac should have a chance with the O as it is currently functioning.

if Mac comes in and it's not working, then back(e) to Zap(pe). it's the NFL and the best guy plays. I just don't think Mac should be judged too much on the mess that was the preseason and the early part of this season.

When Mac is healthy enough to play he should be the starting QB. Things are different now than it was before he went out.
The OL seems to be playing as a unit now. Mac was getting killed by an OL that played dazed and confused.
Myers wasn't playing and neither was Thornton. He should have the opportunity to play with these pieces that were missing.
I think that's the way it will go.

I like Mac, the kid is a baller. That being said, Zappe appears to be the better athlete with a better arm. If he keeps playing like this, does Mac automatically get the starting role back, especially if the Pats are winning?

Before you answer that, the Pats once had a Pro-Bowl caliber starting QB who ultimately lost his job to a low round draft pick (lower than Zappe).

I think Mac is a much better athlete than Zappe. That said, Zappe's pocket movement is way better than any rookie I've seen -- much better than Mac. He definitely maneuvers the pocket as if he's done it forever, which is crazy considering it's only been a few months taking snaps from under center.

I still believe that it's more credit to the coaching staff for putting Zappe in a great situation, limiting him from potential mistakes, and of course he has taken this opportunity in stride. But I do think that they can go that route with Mac and he will excel, too. All in all, it's a great problem to have -- even better if they will push each other to keep improving.

Hypothetically speaking, next season would be when I would potentially see a QB battle happening. But so far I do think Mac has the upper hand, and he will show it when he's healthy enough. For the time being, if Zappe continues to ball out in his absence, it will definitely make the Pats look to put them side by side and decide on a QB going forward.

Yes

Could their be controversy?

All out war already on both talk show channels.

And they call their on air people "the Talent"

:rofl:

Hypothetically speaking, next season would be when I would potentially see a QB battle happening. But so far I do think Mac has the upper hand, and he will show it when he's healthy enough. For the time being, if Zappe continues to ball out in his absence, it will definitely make the Pats look to put them side by side and decide on a QB going forward.
Right on both counts. The issue will be next year, with both coming into OTAs looking for the starting job AND BB will be looking at both going forward. If one changes QB controversy to QB competition then I think that is where we are.

just sayin

I think Mac is a much better athlete than Zappe. That said, Zappe's pocket movement is way better than any rookie I've seen -- much better than Mac. He definitely maneuvers the pocket as if he's done it forever, which is crazy considering it's only been a few months taking snaps from under center.

I still believe that it's more credit to the coaching staff for putting Zappe in a great situation, limiting him from potential mistakes, and of course he has taken this opportunity in stride. But I do think that they can go that route with Mac and he will excel, too. All in all, it's a great problem to have -- even better if they will push each other to keep improving.

I agree but he had to overcome his size throughout his career. I’m loving the the 2 QBs right now.... not gonna lie 1/2 the NFL doesn’t even have one and we have 2....more controversy

~Dee~

now that the obligatory wise-guy post is out of the way... I think we have to pump the brakes while also enjoying the ride and taking the wins.
Zappe has done great, but he played Lions (D sucks) and Browns. I hope he starts Monday as I doubt Mac is ready (or wise for Mac to come back that soon) and Bears was one we all had as "winnable".
Offense seems to have gotten their act together somewhat (Fatty Matty in particular) and Mac should have a chance with the O as it is currently functioning.

if Mac comes in and it's not working, then back(e) to Zap(pe). it's the NFL and the best guy plays. I just don't think Mac should be judged too much on the mess that was the preseason and the early part of this season.
Why are so many here not remembering how Mac flatlined last year? It wasn't just this year, Jones wasn't right late last season.

Why are so many here not remembering how Mac flatlined last year? It wasn't just this year, Jones wasn't right late last season.
fair point... Rookie wall? others weren't "right" end of last year either, like Judon, who we all love and is looking good so far, but lets see how everyone is looking at the latter half of the season... including whoever is at QB.
I'll take every win we can get, but won't get caught up in a mid season winning streak like I did last year.

Which is exactly why it would not be a great idea to crown Zappe off limited play. Pats should more or less know what they have in Mac, and are in the process of finding out what they potentially have in Zappe. But three games is way too early to tell especially if he's done all the right things so far. He's still very much unproven.

He hasn't been put in a position where he has to attempt a game winning drive -- which Mac has. He hasn't shown if he can overcome big mistakes, which Mac already has. He hasn't yet been knocked on his ass and got up showing his toughness -- Mac has.

No matter what, it's going to be interesting to see what happens.

I'm not against Mac at all, but, he has been a bit off ever since late last year.

fair point... Rookie wall? others weren't "right" end of last year either, like Judon, who we all love and is looking good so far, but lets see how everyone is looking at the latter half of the season... including whoever is at QB.
I'll take every win we can get, but won't get caught up in a mid season winning streak like I did last year.
Yup. Judon lost a lot of juice late last year as well...BUT, he's kicking ass this year! Mac isn't.

Jesus, you make it seem as if Mac has a big sample size. Which he doesn’t.

Were you not one of many lamenting McDaniels and how he never took the training wheels off of Mac last year?

Zappe has played against two garbage defenses. Period. Jones did not. Miami and the Ravens have much better defenses than the Lions (who literally had no secondary) and the Browns whose best CB was out and who only have one player (Garrett) who’s outstanding.

Pump the brakes a bit. Zappe looked great, but he was playing against JV players.

#2 CB for browns was in and out, not at 100% either. In both games there were reasons Zappe was throwing to wide open receivers so often. Besides getting carefully set up with play action, I mean.

All that said, Zappe did more with his opportunity than you could realistically hope for. I think they have two heady, coachable QBs who could both lead them where they need to go.

I don't think we know what we have with either one yet, but from what we do know both would be top 10 picks in a redraft.

No, we are not headed for a controversy.
Yes, Mac will get his job back.

It will be nice for people to have something to talk about other than 'zomgthecoaches'. :coffee:

Back