Best Bar to watch a Patriot's Game

bishbash

Tall Earthquake Finders roam the desert
Reaction score
Wondering about bars/restaurants where folks enjoy watching Pat's games. There are many elements to consider in what someone may consider to make a location "best". Food/drink quality, Wait Staff, #/size of TV's, etc. are considerations. My main consideration for "best" is what places have the most enthusiastic fan experience.

It seems many fans these days, that aren't attending a game, have such good HD TV's/theater systems that they are watching at home alone or with friends. I've found there are several decent bars in my area that have an okay turn out for games, but many showing up aren't really into the game experience. I'll give 2 examples of what I've experienced.

Last September, I was in Boston and had an appointment to donate blood at Children's Hospital. The appointment timing occurred after the start of a Pat's 1:00 game. I'm a runner and decided to run from the hotel to Children's and check out different bars along the way during the first quarter, and then return to the one that had the best scene after my blood draw.

I stopped at many in the heart of Boston and in the Fenway area on my way to the hospital. Now, it was a regular season game on a beautiful Sunday afternoon, but I was surprised how not one of the bars really had what I'd call a full on fan experience. None of the bars were very full (maybe it's different for night games), folks were watching the game and there'd be mild cheering for good plays and a little more for TDs, but there was lots of bar conversation and non-fans just eating and drinking.

In contrast, I just spent 6 weeks in Southern Calif. taking care of elderly parents, and had a very different experience. I went to a bar/restaurant in Irvine, called the Auld Dubliner, to watch some games. Given, it is the bar where the Orange County Pat's Fan Club meets, but what an awesome place to watch a game! The food/drinks are decent, but the crowd is totally into the game. Cheers/boos on every play. When Pat's score a TD a Patriots helmet is passed around for everyone to smack. The focus is on the game.

So, my question is, do any bars/restaurants in Boston/New England offer this kind of experience?

I am sure there are Bars in the Boston area similar to the Irvine one you experienced but that being the headquarters of the Pats fans club you will get a different feel than just a bunch of people out in a bar on a Sunday afternoon. Their primary reason to be there is to be with other Pats fans.

Add in no more black-outs of the game in the Boston market VS only place in town to be sure the game will be on and again you have a much different element attending the party.

I assume smaller, local watering holes will have a regular cliental in for game. My neighbor watches every game with a group of friends in a bar, he says it is packed and you need to be there an hour early to get a good seat.

I am sure there are Bars in the Boston area similar to the Irvine one you experienced but that being the headquarters of the Pats fans club you will get a different feel than just a bunch of people out in a bar on a Sunday afternoon. Their primary reason to be there is to be with other Pats fans.

Add in no more black-outs of the game in the Boston market VS only place in town to be sure the game will be on and again you have a much different element attending the party.

I assume smaller, local watering holes will have a regular cliental in for game. My neighbor watches every game with a group of friends in a bar, he says it is packed and you need to be there an hour early to get a good seat.

I agree with all you said that makes that CA bar an exceptional experience, Mikie! I was just presenting 2 extremes with the hope there might be bars with that kind of experience in Boston/New England. If you don't want to publicly state the name of the bar your neighbor goes to, would you mind PMing it to me? I was just surprised how blasé the fans were in the Boston bars I came across and figured there must be better places.

I agree with all you said that makes that CA bar an exceptional experience, Mikie! I was just presenting 2 extremes with the hope there might be bars with that kind of experience in Boston/New England. If you don't want to publicly state the name of the bar your neighbor goes to, would you mind PMing it to me? I was just surprised how blasé the fans were in the Boston bars I came across and figured there must be better places.
I am a sit at home person most the time but IF you are in the south shore area (canton guy here, chev left my brothers town to be closer to me, the real deal), let me know and we can find a good place to meet and enjoy a game.

My neighbor goes to Mickey Malone's in the Stoughton on the Brockton town line, I have not been he and his group are late 50's up in age.

I have met Patriots4ever and his lovely bride at the Revel in Quincy for a few games but last game every time I went to the men's room the Pats did well so I loaded up my pint and watched the game on the tv next to the men's room for good luck - younger crowd lots of barking at the TV.

I guess it all depends on where you are, I found getting a group together to watch the game to be the best. and I have met many a members here at different places. so let me know when you are in the area.

I am a sit at home person most the time but IF you are in the south shore area (canton guy here, chev left my brothers town to be closer to me, the real deal), let me know and we can find a good place to meet and enjoy a game.

My neighbor goes to Mickey Malone's in the Stoughton on the Brockton town line, I have not been he and his group are late 50's up in age.

I have met Patriots4ever and his lovely bride at the Revel in Quincy for a few games but last game every time I went to the men's room the Pats did well so I loaded up my pint and watched the game on the tv next to the men's room for good luck - younger crowd lots of barking at the TV.

I guess it all depends on where you are, I found getting a group together to watch the game to be the best. and I have met many a members here at different places. so let me know when you are in the area.

You're on, it would be an honor! (I fall into that 50's age group.)

So.... No one has any bars to recommend?

Back