Borges article on Drew.

Reaction score
Even the irrepressible Ron Borges, who is known for having his nose firmly planted between the ass crack of Mr. Bledsoe, Has finally realized what the rest of us already knew.
My only problem with the article is he labels Drew a formerly "Great" QB! The "great" moniker should be reserved for players like Montana and Bradshaw and down the road one Mr. Brady.
When I think of Drew I think of unrealized potential and luckluster off-season preparation. Great QB's have busts in the Hall of fame. Drew will always have to pay admission.

Just a thought.

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...11/15/the_end_is_here_for_once_great_bledsoe/

sir_drinkalot said:
Even the irrepressible Ron Borges, who is known for having his nose firmly planted between the ass crack of Mr. Bledsoe, Has finally realized what the rest of us already knew.
My only problem with the article is he labels Drew a formerly "Great" QB! The "great" moniker should be reserved for players like Montana and Bradshaw and down the road one Mr. Brady.
When I think of Drew I think of unrealized potential and luckluster off-season preparation. Great QB's have busts in the Hall of fame. Drew will always have to pay admission.

Just a thought.

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...11/15/the_end_is_here_for_once_great_bledsoe/

It was actually a fairly coherent thought too!!!

I would say Drew was a good quarterback but not a great one.

My primary complaint about Drew was his habit of doing something absolutely stupid at least once a game.

One that comes to mind was the no look. throw it over your shoulder in the middle of the field as your being sacked during the AFC championship game against Pittsburgh in 2001.
:eek:

O_P_T said:
I would say Drew was a good quarterback but not a great one.

My primary complaint about Drew was his habit of doing something absolutely stupid at least once a game.

One that comes to mind was the no look. throw it over your shoulder in the middle of the field as your being sacked during the AFC championship game against Pittsburgh in 2001.
:eek:

I still have nightmares about that. But hey, we've all done stupid things in life. Like when at the age of six I thought I had discovered FUSION by jumping into the the clothes dryer set to fluff. It didn't work but I looked like I got struck by lightning.

I hate to be a Johnny-One-Note, but did you notice the one glaring omission in Borges' article?

It's not that he didn't issue a mea culpa for his insistence on standing by Drew long after (as Sir Drinkalot points out) the rest of us already knew that Drew had lost whatever he once had. It's not that he missed the chance to admit that maybe he was wrong and that the Bledsoe Bashers may have had a point all along, instead trying to feed us this "Lion in Winter" drivel.

No, the one thing he omitted (and I will put forth was an error of commission) was the name "Bill Belichick." It was Belichick, then the OC of the NYJs who first recognized and then exploited Bledsoe's weaknesses at a time when most of us (myself especially) were clearing space for him in Canton. It was Belichick who saw DB as extremely flawed. It should be noted that the only contract not negotiated by BB in his years here was Bledsoe's (it was a Kraft deal all the way). It was BB who moved Tom Brady to #2 in the depth chart. And Michael Holly contends that with or without Mo Lewis' hit, BB was going to name Brady his starter eventually. It was BB who had the stones to trade DB to a division rival, confident there would be no consequences.

Borges continues to expose himself as an agenda-carrying fraud even as he tries to throw dirt on DBs professional grave. After the Steelers game he mocked BBs game preparation. Here he minimizes the same by characterizing Troy Brown as the lucky recipient of an INT instead of someone who was prepared to play the position by the most competent, innovative mind in the game.

And prepared over the objections of know-nothings like Borges.

Man is he on Bledsoe's jock or what?...WOW..lion in winter? It means he would have had to be lion once, which I don't think he ever was. I mean he had his good days but over the years I found myself cursing him more often than praising him....Drew, go to Montana, fly-fish, relax, smoke a fatty or 10 and chill. I wish I could do that except I'd be in the Keys but that's another story.

Stop playing football Drew.

patsRmyboys said:
Man is he on Bledsoe's jock or what?...WOW..lion in winter? It means he would have had to be lion once, which I don't think he ever was. I mean he had his good days but over the years I found myself cursing him more often than praising him....Drew, go to Montana, fly-fish, relax, smoke a fatty or 10 and chill. I wish I could do that except I'd be in the Keys but that's another story.

Stop playing football Drew.

It was an excellent article about a man/athlete/? who seems to really bring out emotions in people! Did you know that, according to WEEI ( that's a sports station in Mass. ) he is, partly , resposible for Gillette Stadium! Ponder that while you drink your 2 free monthly cases of Budweiser!

Yes, I'm quite familiar with WEEI. I listened to them when I lived up there which was only last year HOFman. So because Drew was such a great guy I should equate that with his ability on the field? Please. Why do you think the Pats suddenly turned around their season the day he's unable to play? Give up yet? Because he sucked then, he sucks now, and he's going to continue to suck if he keeps playing.

patsRmyboys said:
Yes, I'm quite familiar with WEEI. I listened to them when I lived up there which was only last year HOFman. So because Drew was such a great guy I should equate that with his ability on the field? Please. Why do you think the Pats suddenly turned around their season the day he's unable to play? Give up yet? Because he sucked then, he sucks now, and he's going to continue to suck if he keeps playing.

Being the selfless, altruistic person that I am, a fine representative ( I think! ) of "Bills nation" I want to deliver some good news to you, Floridian! I think that I heard that WEEI wil soon be available on "the net"! They now simulcast at the old WFNX ( RI Version, 104.7FM ) which has made it a bit easier for us in RI/SEMass

sir_drinkalot said:

Just a thought.

While well written, it still boils down to one thing. It's an article by Ron Borges.... nuff said.

We could argue the merits or demerits of Bledsoe for ages, and neither side would change their mind. Everybody is entitled to their opinion. Personally, I think he was great QB and wish him the best. Wanted to see him have one more good season, but clearly that's not going to happen.

Spinal Tap said:
I hope Bruschi 3:16 doesn't read this thread. He'll call you a "joke"!

:4321:

So you're one of those types who would use a bucket of gasoline to put out a fire, eh?

Here's an article from the Pro Jo by a slighly less bias writer than Borges,and I think Reynolds' analysis of Bledsoe is pretty good. What Drew was, his plus and minuses, and what he's become. I was never a fan of Bledsoe's, and that goes back to his days as a Cougar, but even if he was never one of my favorite players, I realize, and appreciate, what he did for the Patriots franchise. And it is rather sad to see how far down Bledsoe's career has come. It would have been nice to see him leave the game on a positive.

Bill Reynolds: An imperfect world and time have made Bledsoe a has-been

01:00 AM EST on Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Three mini-columns for the price of one . . .

DREW BLEDSOE

In a perfect world, he would have come in here Sunday night and had a great game. Maybe not good enough to beat the Patriots, of course, but a great game nontheless. The kind of game that resurrected all those long-ago Sunday afternoons when he was the young kid with the magic in his right arm, the kid who once brought this franchise from anonymity to respectability, the one who once seemed like a young Marino.

In a perfect world, he would have given us one more reminder of how good he once was here, before it all changed and he became just another quarterback who struggles against the Pats, all those past Sunday afternoons nothing more than fading snapshots in some old photo album, memories of the past.

But it's not a perfect world, and Sunday night we saw Drew Bledsoe at his worst. As immobile as a statue. Making bad decisions. Throwing interceptions. Unable to generate anything. Just another quarterback in peril against the Pats' defense, the magic all gone.

We know the reasons by now. Time has not been kind to Bledsoe. The NFL game gets quicker, more athletic; he seems slower. He's always needed time; now he's with an offensive line that gives him too little time. One of his faults always was that he got too locked in one one receiver; now, it seems even more so.

In the end, he threw the ball away three times and had only 76 yards. In th end, he looked old and slow and all about the past tense, the glory days gone.

TOM BRADY

He likes to portray himself as the anti-star, just another one of the guys, just another guy on this wonderful team of Patriots.

It's one of his wonderful characteristics, the self-effacing way he deals with both his success and his growing celebrity, no small thing in this chest-thumping, look-at-me world we live in. No small thing in this age where too many athletes are all but falling over themselves to draw any kind of attention.

Tom Brady, just one of the guys.

Don't you believe it.

He has become as good as there is. Peyton Manning may put up bigger numbers, and Brett Favre has more cachet, and Michael Vick is far more athletic, but no one is any more effective than Brady. Not for nothing does he have two Super Bowl MVP awards in three years. Not for nothing has his team now won 23 of its last 24 games.

Does he benefit from being on a great team?

No question.

But Brady makes everything look simple. It's been said that the great ones make the game slow down, and maybe that's the best description of Brady. Making good decisions always has been his great strength, arguably the most important skill a quarterback can have. He also knows how to make the pocket his home, is comfortable in it in ways lesser quarterbacks are not. All this and a growing confidence, too, the palpable sense that he knows what it takes to win. Sunday night, he did it again, even on a night when he wasn't particulary sharp.

So Brady can continue to downplay his own performance, continue to say he's just part of the team, no different than anyone else. He can continue to say he's just one of the guys, certainly not a star.

Don't you believe it.

BRADY-BLEDSOE

They are forever linked, the franchise quarterback and the sixth-round draft choice who would take his job. The franchise quarterback and the sixth-round draft choice who would end up with two Super Bowl trophies, the two Super Bowl MVP awards, all of it.

Drew Bledsoe and Tom Brady.

As if one's dream had to die before the other's could be actualized.

That's the back story, and it's always there, even now. Even if both are too classy to really talk about it, Brady forever saying how much he respects Bledsoe, Bledsoe always saying how he and Brady always were friendly, even if the situation became so uncomfortable.

But you know it's more layered than that. It has to be.

Would the Patriots have two Super Bowl trophies now if Bledsoe had not gotten hurt against the Jets in 2001? Would he still be the Patriots' quarterback? And where would Brady be, the boy wonder who got his opportunity when Bledsoe got hurt and made the most of it, forever changing the football fates of both himself and the man he replaced?

These are the questions, and maybe there are no easy answers.

So much of sports seems to hang on fate, the strange bounce of the ball.

For here Bledsoe and Brady are three years later and so much has changed, two careers that have gone in different directions, even if the two men are forever linked.

Both arguments are true imo.

1)Drew sucked significantly while he was in NE, but we gave him a pass and blamed those around him.

I gave him a pass for a long time, because his early success made me believe that he could get it done, and those around him had to play better. However, he had pretty much proven by the time he left that he would make the exact same mistakes over and over and over agin, especially when they needed to close out a game.

2)Drew was a significant reason this franchise didn't leave town, he did help build Gillette, and he had some great seasons and great games.

I swear to god that the patriots would have been in St. louis if Bledsoe doesn't throw an overtime TD to knock the fish out of the play-off's in overtime in his first season (last game OT win). The team sucked all year, and that win gave Patriot fans hope. Kraft seized upon that hope and made his bid for the team, and that's why they are still here imo.

If for no other reason, they should retire Bledsoe's number as a Patriot for this.

Bledsoe had talent, but he was never a true leader, and his game never improved. If everything is perfect around him he can still throw, but that's almost never the case in the NFL, and he has shown he can't adjust to anything less than that.

The Patriots should retire his number, it's the right thing to do, and it would show some class imo. (I'm pretty sure he had better numbers as a Patriot than Stabler did as a Raider, and that certainly qualifies for team recognition)

Bledsoe should hang them up.

Back