Bringing pets in the country.

Major A$$hole*

Get well soon Babalu!
Reaction score
My parents are moving here from Albania some time later next month. They have a cat that they are bringing with them. Any one know what they have to do in order to bring her with them? Been trying to find if there are any tests and vacines they can get her in order to get through customs as smoothly as possible. No luck so far. The only thing I can find is that microchip tag. Anyone here have experience traveling with pets outside the country

I've only traveled to and from Europe with my dogs. For them to enter the US all they need is a valid rabies vaccine.

From CDC:
Importation of cats

A general certificate of health is not required by CDC for entry of pet cats into the United States, although some airlines or states may require them. However, pet cats are subject to inspection at ports of entry and may be denied entry into the United States if they have evidence of an infectious disease that can be transmitted to humans. If a cat appears to be ill, further examination by a licensed veterinarian at the owner's expense might be required at the port of entry.
Cats are not required to have proof of rabies vaccination for importation into the United States. However, some states require vaccination of cats for rabies, so it is a good idea to check with state and local health authorities at your final destination.
All pet cats arriving in the state of Hawaii and the territory of Guam, even from the U.S. mainland, are subject to locally imposed quarantine requirements.

When I lived in Hawaii, all Pets that entered the Island had to be quarantined for 90 days at the expense of the owner no matter who they belonged to or where they came from.

If your parents are moving to Massachusetts they will need proof of rabies vaccination for the cat.

There does not appear to be a quarantine requirement for Massachusetts. Here is the contact information for the Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources, Division of Animal Health, 251 Causeway Street, Suite 500, Boston, MA 02114. Telephone number is (617) 626-1795. Give them a call if it will set your mind at ease.:toast:

When I lived in Hawaii, all Pets that entered the Island had to be quarantined for 90 days at the expense of the owner no matter who they belonged to or where they came from.

Hawaii is rabies free so they want to keep it that way. They have similar laws on plants to make sure that no destructive bugs get onto the island(s).

Another interesting fact is that Hawaii is snake free as is Ireland (almost).

will the cat be receiving welfare? if so get it signed up asap i believe there is a 2 week waiting period. oh and pick up some of the govt cheese for ito:)

will the cat be receiving welfare? if so get it signed up asap i believe there is a 2 week waiting period. oh and pick up some of the govt cheese for ito:)
Also, make sure that the cat has no proof of citizenship, makes getting welfare easier.:toast:

Back