Can Belichick adapt mid-game?

benhamean

Reaction score
It looks like he has a problem with it. Not just yesterday- there are multiple other examples (the Wildcat rollout, the GWMNBN, even the Cleveland game this year).

BB is an amazing coach and student of the game. You cannot design a 'blueprint' against his teams, because if you give him a week he will remedy all the problems.

BUT, he does seem to struggle mid-game/heat of the moment making changes to schemes that are working against him.

Just an observation, and just my opinion.

It looks like he has a problem with it. Not just yesterday- there are multiple other examples (the Wildcat rollout, the GWMNBN, even the Cleveland game this year).

BB is an amazing coach and student of the game. You cannot design a 'blueprint' against his teams, because if you give him a week he will remedy all the problems.

BUT, he does seem to struggle mid-game/heat of the moment making changes to schemes that are working against him.

Just an observation, and just my opinion.

Adjustments are overrated IMO.

I don't think you can spend a week building a game-plan and then come up with a totally new one in the span of the 10 minutes you get in the locker room. People put way too much emphasis on this mirage that a coach can change a fine-tuned strategy that the team has been practicing all week in such a short time.

At best you can alter the play-calling a bit and move some people around the field. But such small changes can be countered by equally small changes by the other team.

So at the end of the day you are more or less working with what you have. Monday-Friday it's about game planning. Sunday is about execution. And if the players don't execute, you really can't do much about it.

Are you kidding? How can you blame BB, or any coach for poor execution, poor tackling, dropped balls, and inability to break from defenders?

BB has been able to adjust to most opponents' gameplans. Remember Thanksgiving? We NE fans expect all schemes to work all the time.

So, what's your point?

:)

Thanks for the chuckle. :jester:

If NE lost to anyone else but the Jets, we'd be analyzing this game from a different perspective. Losing to the Jets is anathema to a NE fan, but it doesn't (shouldn't) change who we are.

I'm not about to blame Belichick for this loss as others are, but I do find it very odd that he would think that the Jets would play the same style of defense as they always had. I think it was a little obvious that the offense were preparing for man coverage from the defense, and when they came out in zones they were almost completely flustered. This is, if any, the only issue I had with BB--he simply prepared for the wrong type of defense. The way that team performed wasn't on him, it was on them.

Answering the question, I think a good example of adjusting mid way is the Lions game where it didn't look good for us in the 1st half. Hill was making a lot of his throws and was even able to run away and get good chunks of yardage on the ground. Had the game continued that way we could possibly be looking at a different letter in that column. On offense, we had some difficulties getting away from the pass rush of Detroit with Vanden-Bosch and Suh up the middle. We came out in the 2nd half and played flawlessly, and Brady had a perfect QB rating the half. I think this is a classic example of adjusting or adapting to what the other team did mid game.

There are the more unfortunate examples, like how Revis leaving the week 2 game ended up being the worst thing to happen for us, and the Cleveland game didn't get better. But answering the question, I know BB is fully capable of adjusting to anything mid game, but changing an entire game plan in the middle of the game isn't an easy task and probably won't be done.

On an extra note, I think we'd be analyzing this game the same even if we lost to anyone against the Jets, especially if we played like the pop warner team we looked like yesterday.

In the second half, the Patriots had a pretty big advantage in time of possession. I think they had some pretty good half-time adjustments. The Jets just played better in general.

It amazes me how we have to point the finger. Here, this is why we lost....BB, brady, the offense, the running backs and at times the defense, played perfect. The offense didnt have a turnver for 8 straight games, brady didnt have a int for 9 straight games, and the defense got some turnovers.....when that is happening, you win, but that is not a reality, teams dont do that, that does not happen, the offense has a turnovers here and there, the defense sometimes does not get a turnover, this is how the rest of the teams go....the pats were very young this year, 6 rookies starting, some thrown in when they were not ready, the older players, wilfork, brady, welker, all had to be perfect, no turnovers, no miscues, or we lose....how they did it? I have no idea, but finally, it didnt happen and we lost. Maybe... this team at this moment was not ready. But looking at them and what they went through, someday, they damn sure will be ready.

Back