Chad Penningtons' Revenge next week in the Meadowlands? I Wonder.....

Miami was in a shootout with a terrible KC team. KC is worse than Seattle. Miami is a gimmick and a fraud. The game is at 1:00. Not 4:00.

How the hell are you a gimmick or a fraud when you win 10 games?? I am NOT TALKING ANY SMACK WHATSOEVER but I want you to explain that to me????

Miami was in a shootout with a terrible KC team. KC is worse than Seattle. Miami is a gimmick and a fraud. The game is at 1:00. Not 4:00.

I would point out that besides the cold weather KC did not have a home field advantage. I was VERY disappointed that hardly anyone showed up there...negating one of the best crowd advantages in the NFL. I think the Seattle crowd definitely helped with the jests defeat.

I will add though that the Chiefs lost A LOT of close games this year...:shrug:

Yea and thats a dumbass thing to say too, how in the hell could a pats fan hate miami more than the jets?????:thwak:

EEHH, It could be because the doophins at least have been competition within the last two decades?...or maybe the fact that since 1970 Miami has won the divison 12 times and the Jest have won it 2?

It also may be that even if the doophins are bad one season they still play us tough, but the jests if they are bad, well we just roll.

The rivalries with both these teams go back farther than Mangina you know.

Personally most seasons I certainly don't give the jests a second thought, but I always worry about the doofins.

Calling someone a "dumbass" for hating miami over the jests or vise versa is....well "DUMB".

EEHH, It could be because the doophins at least have been competition within the last two decades?...or maybe the fact that since 1970 Miami has won the divison 12 times and the Jest have won it 2?

It also may be that even if the doophins are bad one season they still play us tough, but the jests if they are bad, well we just roll.

The rivalries with both these teams go back farther than Mangina you know.

Personally most seasons I certainly don't give the jests a second thought, but I always worry about the doofins.

Calling someone a "dumbass" for hating miami over the jests or vise versa is....well "DUMB".

ok i see your point:toast:

How do you come to this conclusion?

"p.s. I agree that Miami is an average team exceeding expectations and beating up on a slate of weak opponents."

Each AFC team plays the same schedule with the exception of 2 flex games. Miami lost to both Houston and Baltimore which means it had a better record against the 14 common opponents than did the Pats or Jets (thus the reason for the Fins tiebreak advantage). How could they have a record inflated by beating weak teams when the Pats and Jets played 14 of the same teams? Plus they won one and lost one against the Pats.
I agree they are an average team exceeding expectations but the same could be said about the Brady-less Pats or the Jets. Both the Pats and Jets have better players but Miami has played nearly error free ball and Pennington is the 2nd highest rated QB in the NFL throwing to receivers nobody ever heard of.

Each AFC team plays the same schedule with the exception of 2 flex games. Miami lost to both Houston and Baltimore which means it had a better record against the 14 common opponents than did the Pats or Jets (thus the reason for the Fins tiebreak advantage).
FWIW, the Pats lost their 2 flex games as well (Pitt, Indy). Hence, they have the same record against common opponents. Where Miami wins the tiebreaker is in conference games (Miami beat SD and NE did not).

How could they have a record inflated by beating weak teams when the Pats and Jets played 14 of the same teams? Plus they won one and lost one against the Pats.
Hopefully this explains my view of things. Secondly, the Pats "flex" games were against the cream of the crop. Thirdly, the Pats had FOUR west coast games, versus ZERO for the Fins (Arizona and Denver do not count). Fourth, Miami played ZERO Monday or Thursday night games, which are tough on the players and for preparation. Lastly, the Fins got the Pats in Cassel's 2nd career start, which was quite fortuitous, wouldn't you say?

I agree they are an average team exceeding expectations but the same could be said about the Brady-less Pats or the Jets. Both the Pats and Jets have better players but Miami has played nearly error free ball and Pennington is the 2nd highest rated QB in the NFL throwing to receivers nobody ever heard of.
"The Pats are a good team trying to find its identity. The Fins are a mediocre team exceeding expectations. If the Pats don't come out with a vengeance after a mini-BYE week and remembering the humiliating loss in Foxboro a scant few weeks ago, then this season's effectively over sans a Methuselah-like last 5 weeks.

Someone remind me what the Pats' record is in the last 8 years following a loss? I expect the Pats to win comfortably led by special teams."

-Wandering Athol, 11/19/08, right before they spanked the Fins in Miami

FWIW, and this is obviously JMO, but there's not a team in the AFC that wouldn't rather play the Dolphins in the playoffs than the Patriots, particularly if the Pats were to get a home game.

FWIW, the Pats lost their 2 flex games as well (Pitt, Indy). Hence, they have the same record against common opponents. Where Miami wins the tiebreaker is in conference games (Miami beat SD and NE did not).

Hopefully this explains my view of things. Secondly, the Pats "flex" games were against the cream of the crop. Thirdly, the Pats had FOUR west coast games, versus ZERO for the Fins (Arizona and Denver do not count). Fourth, Miami played ZERO Monday or Thursday night games, which are tough on the players and for preparation. Lastly, the Fins got the Pats in Cassel's 2nd career start, which was quite fortuitous, wouldn't you say?

"The Pats are a good team trying to find its identity. The Fins are a mediocre team exceeding expectations. If the Pats don't come out with a vengeance after a mini-BYE week and remembering the humiliating loss in Foxboro a scant few weeks ago, then this season's effectively over sans a Methuselah-like last 5 weeks.

Someone remind me what the Pats' record is in the last 8 years following a loss? I expect the Pats to win comfortably led by special teams."

-Wandering Athol, 11/19/08, right before they spanked the Fins in Miami

FWIW, and this is obviously JMO, but there's not a team in the AFC that wouldn't rather play the Dolphins in the playoffs than the Patriots, particularly if the Pats were to get a home game.

You know i love the fact that you say the fins are a mediocre team exceeding expectations. THEY PLAY THE GAMES THEY ARE DEALT ON THE DAMN SCHEDULE AND THEY WON THEM!!!! so how in the hell do you fault them and say they are mediocore??? this is just crazy!!

You know i love the fact that you say the fins are a mediocre team exceeding expectations. THEY PLAY THE GAMES THEY ARE DEALT ON THE DAMN SCHEDULE AND THEY WON THEM!!!! so how in the hell do you fault them and say they are mediocore??? this is just crazy!!
The Fins are 2-4 against winning teams this season. And their two wins have come against a) the Pats early in the season, and b) a not-exactly world-beating 8-7 Broncos squad.

:shrug:

The Fins are 2-4 against winning teams this season. And their two wins have come against a) the Pats early in the season, and b) a not-exactly world-beating 8-7 Broncos squad.

:shrug:
The Fins will be 3-4 (if they beat the Jets).
And Pats are 4-4 against winning teams which means the victory last week over an Arizona team that was resting a lot of starters will be the only difference (assuming the Pats win over the Jets). Very Average.
Like I said - The same things you are using to deride the accomplishments of the Fins could also be said about the Pats and Jets. And while I agree that both NE and NY have better personnel, the play of all 3 teams has been pretty equal - as their records indicate.
I too think more NFL teams would prefer playing the Fins over the Jets or Pats due to the lack of star players on the Fin roster. That might not mean the Fins are easier to beat however. Offensively they rank 4 NE, 10 M, 16 NY.
Defensively they rank 10 NE 15 M 17 NY (but Miami has given up fewer points than NE or NY). These stats seem to show an order of strength to be: New England , Miami , New York with the difference being the the Pats explosive offense. Funny the the Jets got 7 probowlers and they have performed the worst of the 3 teams.
But a missing and important stat is turnover ratio. Miami has a big advantage there at +14 to NE +0 and NY -2. Their efficient play makes them a hard team to beat unless you are a lot more talented to begin with.

The Fins will be 3-4 (if they beat the Jets).
And Pats are 4-4 against winning teams which means the victory last week over an Arizona team that was resting a lot of starters will be the only difference (assuming the Pats win over the Jets).
What starters were they "resting"?

Like I said - The same things you are using to deride the accomplishments of the Fins could also be said about the Pats and Jets. And while I agree that both NE and NY have better personnel, the play of all 3 teams has been pretty equal - as their records indicate.
If you read post #29 above and clinked on the link I provided (under the word, "this"), I think you'd find that I stated the whole AFC East is overrated if you judge its teams solely on W-L record. However, at this time, I definitely do not feel all 3 teams are playing equally well, just because they share the same record.

I too think more NFL teams would prefer playing the Fins over the Jets or Pats due to the lack of star players on the Fin roster. That might not mean the Fins are easier to beat however. Offensively they rank 4 NE, 10 M, 16 NY.
Defensively they rank 10 NE 15 M 17 NY (but Miami has given up fewer points than NE or NY). These stats seem to show an order of strength to be: New England , Miami , New York with the difference being the the Pats explosive offense. Funny the the Jets got 7 probowlers and they have performed the worst of the 3 teams.
I think your analysis might be a little too heavily focused on the seasonal statistics. No one wants to play the Pats because they're a battle-tested-in-the-playoffs team, Belichick's proven he can steal games while standing on the sidelines, and Cassel's improvement each week is making the offense scarily reminiscent of 2007. And I'm quite sure no team wants to travel to New England in January.

But a missing and important stat is turnover ratio. Miami has a big advantage there at +14 to NE +0 and NY -2. Their efficient play makes them a hard team to beat unless you are a lot more talented to begin with.
Miami has done a great job of taking care of the ball this year, while at the same time forcing turnovers. No doubt that's been a large part of their success. For that reason, they've probably got a slugger's chance against any team in the league.

However, New England was 18-1 last year. Miami was 1-15. Even without Brady, Harrison, A Thomas, etc., who do you think has more talent?

We can volley this back and forth forever I guess, but the two biggest clues I've got to who's actually playing better right now comes from the teams' last head-to-head matchup and how both teams recently fared against the Raiders. If Tuna's helpers make the dance, and lay the smackdown on Indy, I'll re-evaluate everything I've just stated. Until then? Ehhh. :shrug: Color me not that impressed, even though what they've accomplished as far as a turnaround goes, is quite remarkable.

p.s. Loved this prescient comment. ;)

Back