Coaching Profile: Bill O’Brien Rejoins Patriots as OC

I heard that on the way to work this am. I'm not sure about him since his production has fallen off so badly this year. There may be interest from BB but questions need answers.
I'd want some explanation from him as to why his per game production fell so dramatically & from Josh on why he's being traded. BB can find out. (Maybe Waller except for money)
For Background, he's played only 4 years but he's 27 years old. There's a concussion history with him in college and again this year with LV.
He's not close to either Edelman or Welker athletically. He's not near as quick or strong. He meets none of the 4 athletic parameters BB requires.

As a 3rd year player, he set personal bests in 2021 with 103 catches, 1,038 yards and 9 TDs. That was great.
But in 2022 Renfrow had only 36 catches, 336 yards and 2 TDs.

WTF happened to him?

Well, injuries allowed him to play only 10 games this year. A concussion Sept 18. kept him out a few and an abdominal muscle strain mid Nov. landed him on IR.
(More eyeopening to me is that he started only 1 of the 10 games he played even though he's listed as a starter.)
He was also impacted by the additions of Davante Adams and a healthy Darren Waller who was injured and missed much of '21. His targets were down as you might suspect.

But maybe there's more to it:
his average QB rating generated plummeted in '22.
2019 - 108
2020 - 107
2021 - 120
2022 - 70
and of his 50 targets, 4 were intercepted when he's only had 2 ints against him over his first 276 targets.

There's a reason he's on the trade block. Josh will give Belichick all the answers he wants. There may be interest.

Great information which brings a good deal to ponder.

Thanks.

While I'm holding out hope for a very problematic-to-defend true No. 1, I understand that Vegas is planning on
shopping Hunter Renfrow. He had a rough year with injuries and would count for about 11M vs. the cap for the acquiring team
(or so I have read), but that is a guy whose career trajectory was heading up at a steep angle prior to getting hurt
and he is a very talented dude who is, I think, a better, more productive player than Jakobi and he's best as a slot.

I think he's a lot more plausible to come here than Hopkins and maybe the idea deserves consideration. I also have
hope that Thornton can become that No. 1 with some hard work and experience, but would like to hedge my bet with
a guy who can scare people right now and Renfrow is more of a counter-puncher than a top guy.
I would love Renfrow much more than spending on Hopkins. Of course we could afford to do both. :)

Agree on both players. I have Thornton in the same patch with other offensive players, who under performed last year. In other words, I’m cutting him slack until I see him with the coaching this year.

With regard to Hunter, Renfrow, how many years are left on his deal? if one year or two years are all that’s left I wonder if he would rewrite it for three or four at a lower annual cabin number?
Agree on Thornton. But don't ever imagine him becoming the guy that's open instantly. I see him as a deep threat type with the addition of mid field catches. He doesn't appear to be a good option for say a bubble screen with instant acceleration. Wonder what they have him working on this off season. Does he gain strength but lose a wee bit of speed?

It's official

FnaFzVVXoAAgw-a

Renfrow was a guy back when he was a college dew...I thought would be the PERFEKT Patriot...after Edeldew. Why BB never picked him, I have no idear. He is currently in a dill/pickle/emma...but, he wood fit right in with the BB "DEW YER JOB" propaganda. How much BB has to shell out however, remains 2 B seen.

great player
I’m fine if they go with another smurf slot WR but then that means that the offensive core changes. Get rid of Parker, Agholor, Thornton first as the Pats are not a risky deep strike offense. Go back to slot WR and 2TE (the 2010 O’Brien offense)

Back