Different type of draft

NewsZombieBot

Newsie
Reaction score
PALM BEACH, Fla., -- In his session with reporters at the AFC breakfast this morning, Patriots coach Bill Belichick shared his thoughts on the draft, and how this year is a bit different for the team in the players that are getting close attention.
"Last year, even the last couple years, we weren’t that focused on the players at the very top of the draft -- the Larry Fitzgeralds, guys like that. We just weren’t going to pick them, they weren’t going to be there, the tackle last year in Cleveland, Joe Thomas, there was no way. This year is a little bit different for us because we are at the top of the draft," Belichick said.
"It’s been a while since we’ve been up here and it’s a little different picture of the draft, looking from the top down, instead of from the bottom up. I know Scott [Pioli] and the scouting department look at all players, but I’ve personally looked at the top players in the draft a lot more closely than I have in recent years when there was a number of guys we had no shot of getting.”
With that in mind, Belichick has come to the conclusion there is no easy choice at the top.
"I don’t know if there is a clear-cut No. 1 player this year," he said. "I don’t think there is."
On the entire draft, Belichick said: "A lot more depth than last year, much deeper. More players, I don’t know if at every position, but most positions."

More...

Here are our picks after the comp picks were awarded.

PATRIOTS 7 62 69 94 129 164 197 238

Back