Disaster of the Francis Scott Key bridge

imapig

Conspiracy theorist.
Reaction score
The bridge went right past Fort Hollabird in Dundalk a Baltimore suburb. I took 2 Army Intelligence courses their in '67. Used the bridge many times. So small knot in the tummy this A.M. Fort is gone now and intelligence has moved to Fort Huachuca, Az.

Doesn't even fit there , the lunacy thread.It's a miracle the mortality numbers are so low , just pure good luck the bridge happened to be closed.

The ship managed to raise a mayday so the authorities acted as quickly as they could to stop traffic but obviously some vehicles were already on the bridge.

Horrible incident, RIP to anyone who lost their lives.

Reportedly there are no vehicles in the water with people on board, quick thinking by the capt and crew saved a lot of lives. Can't even imagine how this would have gone had it been rush hour.

Reportedly there are no vehicles in the water with people on board, quick thinking by the capt and crew saved a lot of lives. Can't even imagine how this would have gone had it been rush hour.
It would’ve been absolutely horrible if this happened at rush-hour.

This will have far reaching implications. There is no way that the Port of Baltimore will be taking on new cargo shipping for quite a while.
I guess the question is will other ports be able to handle the extra traffic. Will this create supply chain issues, which will fuel inflation.
Then there are the dock workers and how are they going to cope.
That bridge won't be removed for quite a while. Until it is safely removed, other ships won't be able to enter the harbor.

Season
This will have far reaching implications. There is no way that the Port of Baltimore will be taking on new cargo shipping for quite a while.
I guess the question is will other ports be able to handle the extra traffic. Will this create supply chain issues, which will fuel inflation.
That bridge won't be removed for quite a while. Until it is safely removed, other ships won't be able to enter the harbor.
And if you recall season 2 of the Wire you'll remember that the Port of Baltimore is a big deal. U R right PP, the impact could be massive.

Cheers

On my way to work this morning shipping companies are already getting calls to the port over here in Jacksonville. I expect some of the shipping to be diverted to here. But man isn’t there something out towards New York City or Boston that could handle the extra shipping?

On my way to work this morning shipping companies are already getting calls to the port over here in Jacksonville. I expect some of the shipping to be diverted to here. But man isn’t there something out towards New York City or Boston that could handle the extra shipping?
I don't really know if other ports can take on the volume that Baltimore has. A short time ago some of the ports were being used to capacity. Then there was a shortage of truckers to haul the cargo once it was unloaded.

And impacts nationally, how is the Golden state bridge and others protected from a similar incident.
More tug boats now required..

Some bridges already have barriers around the pylons to prevent and issue like this.
Thought this was standard for bridges over a certain size. Certainly you'd think Key would have been high on the list to protect...

Back