Don't Forget to Pay Your Designers

Steve-o

TACOS
Reaction score
Holy crap, they went there. popcorn

http://fitnesssf.com

Dear Fitness SF customer,

Fitness SF preferred to ignore our invoices instead of paying them. As a result this website is no longer operational.

I've had some people that were difficult to get cash out of before, but usually just threatening to take their site down resulted in a check being cut.

This is both ROFL and :facepalm:

Sad part is often the hardest people to get the money from is the bigger companies that have the most layers of corporate BS between you and your payment. The mom & pops by and large pay up promptly.

Sad part is often the hardest people to get the money from is the bigger companies that have the most layers of corporate BS between you and your payment. The mom & pops by and large pay up promptly.

This is definitely some hardcore payback. On Adweek and Behance, he called them a "despicable bag of dicks". ROFL

Sadly, this may also end up hurting him as other clients are wary of working with him, lest get in the way of his wrath.

This is definitely some hardcore payback. On Adweek and Behance, he called them a "despicable bag of dicks". ROFL

Sadly, this may also end up hurting him as other clients are wary of working with him, lest get in the way of his wrath.

Maybe but I am not going to ride a guy who wants to get paid....power to him. It is ROFL for sure.

Have had a good amount of corporate clients (although I'm not in design) who just decide for themselves when they feel like paying your invoices.

It's annoying but in most cases you can't do all that much because the product is already delivered.

Even if the owner of a web site that you designed owes you money, interfering with a component of his revenue stream isn't the smart way to proceed, and likely opens up the possibility of civil, if not criminal, legal proceedings.

I agree it isn't wise for a lot of reasons but if it went to court and I was on the jury I can't see myself turning in a guilty verdict if disabling the customer's site was a last resort action by the person owed money. Meaning there had been a good amount of calls and letters with no response/no reasonable explanation or negotiations.
I take a dim view of people who buy things and then refuse to pay.

They've posted this on their Facebook page(s), and are getting trolled by internet people.

On Wednesday evening, our domain name Fitness SF was hacked and stolen by an individual named Frank Jonen. Frank was hired on May 16th, 2012 to develop a functional website for our brand. A $5,000 payment was made to him on the same date. In his proposal, he stated that the website would take 10 weeks to complete. He missed numerous deadlines including our brand launch in September. In December, he voluntarily passed the incomplete and non functioning website to our new design firm.
Now, Frank is attempting to portray himself as the victim when truly the victim is Fitness SF as he attempts to get paid for work he did not complete and has decided that blackmail is the way to accomplish that.
Fitness SF

Even if the owner of a web site that you designed owes you money, interfering with a component of his revenue stream isn't the smart way to proceed, and likely opens up the possibility of civil, if not criminal, legal proceedings.

If you don't pay a provider for a service, why should they let you coast? I can't imagine phone companies or auto lenders saying, "We don't want you to lose any customers, so you can still use the phone and drive the car. Pay us when you can."

Not paying the bill is what interfered with a component of his revenue stream.

If you don't pay a provider for a service, why should they let you coast? I can't imagine phone companies or auto lenders saying, "We don't want you to lose any customers, so you can still use the phone and drive the car. Pay us when you can."

Not paying the bill is what interfered with a component of his revenue stream.
I agree with the sentiment and understand the motivation behind the facts outlined in the OP.

IANAL, but I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to break the law in order to get someone that owes money to you to pay up. And there are state and federal anti-hacking laws.

IANAL, but I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to break the law in order to get someone that owes money to you to pay up. And there are state and federal anti-hacking laws.

UANAL? :LOL: (sorry)

Is it their website if they didn't pay for it?

UANAL? :LOL: (sorry)

Is it their website if they didn't pay for it?

If that company has registered the domain name and is paying for the network connection and web servers, then I think a court would say it's their web site.

Of course, if they haven't paid their web designer, maybe they're also not paying their other bills. :)

Back