Eagles vs Patriots Game Thread

Not disagreeing with you, We're already in a spot now with Miami winning ay the death in LA. But we looked down and out very early on, it was a shit show. Yet we came back with a really impressive drive that spread the ball around to several receivers.

it's still too sloppy with penalties and T/Os, but we went all the way with the hot team from last season and showed character to claw ourselves back. And there is a lot to build on offensively. This is a hell of a lot better than anything we saw last season.
Is it though? This is like the Minnesota game last year, almost a carbon copy.

Because some around here have forgotten what good, legit world class offense looks like, in a very short amount of time.
The offense was good. In stretches. There were some awful calls on 3rd and 4th down, I thought in the 2nd half. I mean, it's a better operation. Zeke Elliot saved Mac's ass more than a couple of times in pass protection. Can't say enough about that.

Not disagreeing with you; we're already in a spot now with Miami winning at the death in LA. But we looked down and out very early on, it was a shit show. Yet we came back with a really impressive drive that spread the ball around to several receivers.

It's still too sloppy with penalties and T/Os, but we went all the way with the hot team from last season and showed character to claw ourselves back. And there is a lot to build on offensively. This is a hell of a lot better than anything we saw last season.
100%

Because some around here have forgotten what good, legit world class offense looks like, in a very short amount of time.

Now I realize that you simply got lost on here. Here ya go:

I'm not that upset to be honest. While this was a winnable game all the way until the end, Pats got a lot to clean up. Most notably the OL needs some work.

The defense is already in mid-season form, so nothing but good things to say about them.

Special teams could've done better. But overall, very optimistic about the future. Mac looks like his old self minus the pick six. Receivers were getting open despite having to run quick routes. Hunter Henry looked great. Bourne looked great. The rookies looked good. Boutte did mess up both attempts, but he looked promising.

All in all, I'm looking forward to this season.

I'm not that upset to be honest. While this was a winnable game all the way until the end, Pats got a lot to clean up. Most notably the OL needs some work.

The defense is already in mid-season form, so nothing but good things to say about them.

Special teams could've done better. But overall, very optimistic about the future. Mac looks like his old self minus the pick six. Receivers were getting open despite having to run quick routes. Hunter Henry looked great. Bourne looked great. The rookies looked good. Boutte did mess up both attempts, but he looked promising.

I completely disagree about the offensive line. That's the best defensive front in the league, and we had 2 rookies playing. I thought they acquitted themselves incredibly well. I was impressed.

The offense was good. In stretches. There were some awful calls on 3rd and 4th down, I thought in the 2nd half. I mean, it's a better operation. Zeke Elliot saved Mac's ass more than a couple of times in pass protection. Can't say enough about that.
I agree, Zeke was low key very good this year. They start out 0-4, or 1-6, I'd look at spinning him off for some draft capital. The play calling was a little suspect, but I also think it's a Mac thing. You'd have to look at the tape, but still think the QB is the limiting factor. Be interesting to see on the tape, how Pop and Boutte did in their route running. I know that Gonzo got better as the game went on, and he will be a lockdown CB by week 8.

I agree, Zeke was low key very good this year. They start out 0-4, or 1-6, I'd look at spinning him off for some draft capital. The play calling was a little suspect, but I also think it's a Mac thing. You'd have to look at the tape, but still think the QB is the limiting factor. Be interesting to see on the tape, how Pop and Boutte did in their route running. I know that Gonzo got better as the game went on, and he will be a lockdown CB by week 8.
I mean, the two go hand-in-hand a bit too, right? You're calling 3rd and 8 spot screens to keep the ball secure? Mac threw some absolute lasers today, but he also threw everything high in the 1st quarter, and that cost them, and maybe it played into the brutal playcalling. Who knows, we'll see.

I thought the OL was great. At times Mac was running from ghosts back there. The defense was really good outside of the opening drives to start the game and the second half.

I mean, the two go hand-in-hand a bit too, right? You're calling 3rd and 8 spot screens to keep the ball secure? Mac threw some absolute lasers today, but he also threw everything high in the 1st quarter, and that cost them, and maybe it played into the brutal playcalling. Who knows, we'll see.

Fair enough, but I question his reading of the field at times. Rarely do I feel that the knows where he is going with the ball before the snap. I just haven't seen a leap from year 1 Mac that I would expect into year 3. Looks to be the same and that's concerning.

This is an invention in your mind. That didn't happen.
He tucked the ball and ran into the line late in the 4th. There was nothing there but he bailed.

Fair enough, but I question his reading of the field at times. Rarely do I feel that the knows where he is going with the ball before the snap. I just haven't seen a leap from year 1 Mac that I would expect into year 3. Looks to be the same and that's concerning.
Yeah, I'll disagree with that. Romo even said it in the telecast. He's looking guys off, using his eyes really well, and that 2nd quarter, when he had one read, up-tempo, everything was an on-the-money laser. THAT is a step up from year 1, to me, and an definite improvement. The concerning part to me is that it's not consistent, and I don't know how much of that is playcalling, right? And maybe some of that is BoB and Mac getting on the same page, too. So the potential for improvement is there.

You're not completely wrong, that first quarter was just an unacceptable display from a starting NFL QB. He settled in, but by the time he did, they were down 16-0, and 13 of that is directly attributable to his play.

No one was open and he took what he could get. There were no ghosts today.
To me, he looked like he was rushing his throws which is why he was off early. Maybe he didn't expect the line to play as well as they did? I don't know. But he lacks consistency but at least everything after the first quarter looked loads better than last year.

Very mixed bag. They've got some talent but the mistakes and penalties keep messing them up. D looks good. Special teams not bad. Offense? Extremely mixed.

Hopefully they will continue improving. Week 1 is too early to panic, but I want them to win games like this. Time for moral victories is over. 🧐

Last edited:
It’s only week 1 and this unit barely (never ?) played all together in preseason, so I expect the O will improve in all areas. Same goes for other teams and it is a tough schedule so they gotta improve asap

From what I saw , there were some definitely some technical flaws.We don't pull 5 holding penalties and win games , I would argue calling a screen on 4th & 17.That being said , I saw alot that I hoped for.Firstly , there was an actual workable offensive scheme and secondly the defense shined.Mac got a bit flustered in the 1st but he pulled it together and that spoke volumes to me.This was the first game , which are almost always shit shows.Anyone who can't see this is a greatly improved team is either blind or chosing not to see .

The Pat's have and are going through a major rebuild and to make all the cogs turn together like they did today says alot.A win today would have been great and many said we were going to get trounced , but it was what it was.So , we will lick our wounds and move onto next week encouraged by the growth we have seen this week.

Back