Federer out for the season

anderson

Awfully Cavalier
Reaction score
And with that, I think we've just seen the end of one of the greatest players to ever play the game. :(

I really hoped he could win another major and/or the Olympics, but think there's about zero chance of him taking another major now.

I don't think so. He will come back next year. He said he still wants to play a few more years. He is a lot like Brady - in great shape and has an unmatched hunger for the game to compete and win. And like Brady he is the GOAT.

I don't think so. He will come back next year. He said he still wants to play a few more years. He is a lot like Brady - in great shape and has an unmatched hunger for the game to compete and win. And like Brady he is the GOAT.

I don't doubt he'll play. I just don't think he'll come close to a major.

I don't doubt he'll play. I just don't think he'll come close to a major.

Why? He has continued to make it to the later rounds of the slams the last couple of years. He would probably need some luck like Novak losing before the finals but otherwise he can certainly win another one or two. His best bets are probably Wimbly and the USO.

Why? He has continued to make it to the later rounds of the slams the last couple of years. He would probably need some luck like Novak losing before the finals but otherwise he can certainly win another one or two. His best bets are probably Wimbly and the USO.

35 year olds coming back from season ending knee injuries don't tend to make it to major finals.
I'd be happy to bet money he never gets past a semi at the USO from now on.

Wimbledon is the only one he'd have any type of shot at and I don't see him taking that either. He had to come back from injury to play it this year and credit to him, he made it to the semis, but the entire tournament he was moving so sluggishly to his left so he was terminally out of position on the backhand. It was not great watching.

Going forward he doesn't have to just fear Novak. He basically has to fear the field which is a good bit different than how it used to be. People used to stop talking when he entered the changing rooms.

Anyway, I hope you're right and I'm not because I'm probably the biggest fed fan boy around. Objectively speaking, I just happen to think he has no shot.

35 year olds coming back from season ending knee injuries don't tend to make it to major finals.
I'd be happy to bet money he never gets past a semi at the USO from now on.

Wimbledon is the only one he'd have any type of shot at and I don't see him taking that either. He had to come back from injury to play it this year and credit to him, he made it to the semis, but the entire tournament he was moving so sluggishly to his left so he was terminally out of position on the backhand. It was not great watching.

Going forward he doesn't have to just fear Novak. He basically has to fear the field which is a good bit different than how it used to be. People used to stop talking when he entered the changing rooms.

Anyway, I hope you're right and I'm not because I'm probably the biggest fed fan boy around. Objectively speaking, I just happen to think he has no shot.

Many thought Brady was finished too in 2014 and he put together a post-season for the ages with two historical comebacks. Fed is made of the same cloth. I think he could still have one more in him at Wimbly most likely. But even if not, he is the all time GS leader and has played well into his mid 30's. The only real knock is his W/L vs Nadal who he could never seem to beat when it counted.

Many thought Brady was finished too in 2014 and he put together a post-season for the ages with two historical comebacks. Fed is made of the same cloth. I think he could still have one more in him at Wimbly most likely. But even if not, he is the all time GS leader and has played well into his mid 30's. The only real knock is his W/L vs Nadal who he could never seem to beat when it counted.

Can't compare tennis to QB'ing.

I consider Federer to be the greatest ever, but it's subjective and I don't think you can back it up statistically at all. But he played a ruthless, yet insanely graceful, game of tennis and has been part in some of the greatest matches in the history of the sport.

Can't compare tennis to QB'ing.

I consider Federer to be the greatest ever, but it's subjective and I don't think you can back it up statistically at all. But he played a ruthless, yet insanely graceful, game of tennis and has been part in some of the greatest matches in the history of the sport.

I wasn't comparing the two sports or positions. I was comparing both Brady and Fed's approach to the game, physical fitness and competitive drive.

You can back up Fed being the GOAT just like Brady. He has all the important records, many by a wide margin. There is no other player in the Open Era that has his complete resume and longevity. The only knock is his record vs Nadal but with Nadal looking like an old man at 29, that point has less and less relevance IMO.

Meh, it's a simplistic view because Federer gained a lot of his titles in years where his fiercest competition was Andy Roddick.

Losing record against Nadal and Djoko and close to 50% vs Murray. It's not as clear as you make it. Realistically Djokovic will get close to his majors count unless major injury happens as well and he's had to fight harder for his.

Meh, it's a simplistic view because Federer gained a lot of his titles in years where his fiercest competition was Andy Roddick.

Losing record against Nadal and Djoko and close to 50% vs Murray. It's not as clear as you make it. Realistically Djokovic will get close to his majors count unless major injury happens as well and he's had to fight harder for his.

You play who you play. Sampras had the benefit of Agassi being on crystal meth and Courier falling off the map after a 2 year run. Federer dominated the men's field like no other player before him. And it is hard to dominate everyone but he won more than anyone else. Nadal wasn't showing up to play him for years other than the FO and Novak just started his dominance after Federer turned 30. Fed's consistency and dominance is what separates him. I doubt Novak catches him. Many thought Nadal would too but his body gave out. Novak plays a similar game. He won't continue to win at the same clip post 30.

I can agree with some of your points, but Novak absolutely does not play the same way as Nadal. Novak hits with significantly less top spin and is a much more efficient mover on the court.

His backhand is not what it used to be either. He used to come over the top of the backhand a lot more often and with more power than he does now. He slices the piss out of the ball now giving the opponent time to set up. I really wanted to see him win Wimbledon this year too, I thought with Joke-a-bitch out he'd get it done too

My favorite part of tennis is when you have a hottie with a short skirt bending over grunting like she is getting poked for the first time...:coffee:

So I take it that Mazz22 and Anderson see this thing differently. To sum it all up.

Cheers, :toast:

Back