Folks, we've found our new OLB

BionicPatriot

Reaction score
Lookie

It says right there, the Patriots have talked to him. He was phenommenal at getting to the QB. He also seems like a high character guy, winning the Lott award given to a player with an impact on and OFF the field. At 6'1 he's undersized for our system..But I still think this is a serious canidate.

So ... 31 teams are following the Pats around the combine? Their position in line adjudicated by the jellybean color they drew from the pot?

High character and VT players are not usually synonymous. Where did you hear about his character? Just curious.

From Football's Future:
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2006/prospects/darryl_tapp.html

Darryl Tapp DE 6’1 257 Virginia Tech
By: Robert Davis

Darryl Tapp is one of the hardest working football players in the country. He’ll never be outworked on the field. His hard work paid off when he entered the starting lineup as a sophomore. He finished that season with 58 tackles, nine for loss, with three sacks. He upped all of those numbers as a junior, finishing with 60 tackles, 16.5 for loss, and 8.5 sacks. Tapp was again a standout as a senior, finishing the year with 48 tackles, 14.5 for loss, and 10 sacks.

Tapp’s best trait is the passion he shows for the game. Nobody outworks him off the field, and he plays hard for a full 60 minutes on the field. With his work ethic, he has become one of the better playmakers on the defensive line. Tapp comes off the line very quick to disrupt plays. He is also one of the stronger ends in the draft. He can take on a blocker, get off, and make plays as a run stopper.

Despite being a playmaker at the college level, Tapp may not have all the physical ability to have it translate to he pro game. At a listed 6’1, he is very short for a defensive end. He also lacks ideal athleticism and closing speed at the position.

It’s hard to not like Tapp. He plays the game the way it should be and is always around the ball. I believe he will find a role in the NFL, even if he does not have the same impact that he has had in college. Tapp may also go down a similar path to Rod Coleman of the Falcons, which would be to make the transition from college end to NFL tackle. If he can pack on some weight, Tapp’s lack of height becomes less of an issue, and his athleticism and quickness are now a major asset to him. Whatever he does, Tapp will make it in the NFL. He could hear his name called in the second frame somewhere, but is definitely a Day One talent.

...and from NFLDraftCountdown:
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/darryltapp.html

Strengths:
Very productive pass rusher at the college level...Shows great strength...Intense and has a motor that never stops...Instinctive and flows to the ball...Technically sound and knows how to use leverage to his advantage...Has a great burst and really closes well...Does a good job of adjusting in space...A team leader and hard worker with top intangibles...A playmaker who is always around the action.

Weaknesses:
Lacks ideal size in terms of height...Speed, quickness and natural athleticism are only average...Doesn't do a great job versus the run...Can be overwhelmed by larger offensive linemen...Needs to hit the weights and get stronger...Must develop a wider array of pass rush moves for the next level...Could be a classic case of a top college player whose game doesn't translate well to the pros.

Notes:
The type of player who doesn't have the measurables you look for but just makes plays once the whistle blows...Could be a controversial prospect who doesn't go nearly as high as his college press clippings would lead you to believe...You never want to underestimate someone with this guy's fire and positive attitude.

MadStork said:
So ... 31 teams are following the Pats around the combine? Their position in line adjudicated by the jellybean color they drew from the pot?
no, the patriots don't usually tip there hand this early. All I am saying is attention to players not on their list helps protect the ones they like.

I think a player lke Mankins, who they took last year with out anyone guessing is mor etheir style. then again knowing that maybe this year the Pats decide to be open to mislead. It isn't a "lets follow the Patriots" thing more like a why let others know our choice

You can't ignore the production or the fact that his stats improved every year like clockwork - the hallmark of a guy that has desire, but I can't see us picking him at 21 when he needs a conversion to find a position in the NFL.

His game and size is very similar to David Pollack -- a Georgia DE that had to convert to LB for the Bengals.

The Pats talk to lots of guys and spoke at length before last year's draft with Odell Thurman - Pollack's Bengals teammate and a top performing rookie who didn't have ideal size for our system.

But then again -- Bruschi doesn't have ideal size either, but somebody forgot to tell him that.

You never know, but I would guess that he is not our guy.

Incidentally, the NFL network will start broadcasting the combine tomorrow 2/23 at 2pm EST.

Last night they had Corey Chavous and Mike Marock reviewing the top four running backs and had some nice film of them. I hadn't had a chance to see much of Lawrence Maroney from Minnesota prior to that and he is an eye opening back with good size and extreme acceleration.

My guess is that either LenDale White or Maroney will be available to us, but we will have to see how the combine pans out to see how the pieces might fit.

Back