Harper Lee

Beaglebay

Houndsight is 20/20
Reaction score
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/20/arts/harper-lee-dies.html?_r=0

Harper Lee, whose first novel, “To Kill a Mockingbird,” about racial injustice in a small Alabama town, sold more than 10 million copies and became one of the most beloved and most taught works of fiction ever written by an American, has died. She was 89.

Her death was confirmed by Mary Jackson, the city clerk in Monroeville, Ala., where Ms. Lee lived. Ms. Jackson could not say where or when Ms. Lee died.

The instant success of “To Kill a Mockingbird,” which was published in 1960 and won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction the next year, turned Ms. Lee into a literary celebrity, a role she found oppressive and never learned to accept. The enormous success of the film version of the novel, released in 1962 with Gregory Peck in the starring role of Atticus Finch, a small-town Southern lawyer who defends a black man falsely accused of raping a white woman, only added to Ms. Lee’s fame and fanned expectations for her next novel.

For more than half a century, it failed to appear. Then, in 2015, long after the reading public had given up on seeing anything more from Ms. Lee, a sequel appeared under mysterious circumstances.

“I never expected any sort of success with ‘Mockingbird,’ ” Ms. Lee told a radio interviewer in 1964. “I was hoping for a quick and merciful death at the hands of the reviewers, but, at the same time I sort of hoped someone would like it well enough to give me encouragement.” Instead, she said, “I got rather a whole lot, and in some ways this was just about as frightening as the quick, merciful death I’d expected.”

Thankfully, her book will still be there when I wake up in the mornin'.

Did anyone here read "Go set a watchman"? I did last summer and it enjoyed as much as Mocking Bird. You just can't get enough of Lee's writing and command of dialog. Watchman was much more light hearted than Mocking Bird but did also tackle changing race relations in Alabama. I highly recommend it for anyone that was a fan of hers.

To be honest, I didn't realize that Harper Lee was a woman.

Whatever, RIP and I loved Mockingbird from the time I was read it as a kid. The film version is so strong that whenever it is on I get "Shawshanked" -- which is a term my brother Jerry coined to describe a movie when you see any of it then you have to watch the whole thing, no matter how many times you've seen it.

I'm going to have to check out some of her other stuff.

Also, she isn't the first American author to hit it out of the park with their first book. John Kennedy Toole did the same with A Confederacy of Dunces. It's probably happened a lot although I can't think of any other examples off the top of my head.

Pat Conroy is another phenomenal southern author, my favorite author alive. "The Water is Wide" was a good first book; the "Lords of Discipline" is an unbelievable book.

I've read the book and seen the movie many times. Excellent works. The movie is actually a good adaptation of the book, which is rare.

RIP, Ms. Lee.

To be honest, I didn't realize that Harper Lee was a woman.

Whatever, RIP and I loved Mockingbird from the time I was read it as a kid. The film version is so strong that whenever it is on I get "Shawshanked" -- which is a term my brother Jerry coined to describe a movie when you see any of it then you have to watch the whole thing, no matter how many times you've seen it.

I'm going to have to check out some of her other stuff.

Also, she isn't the first American author to hit it out of the park with their first book. John Kennedy Toole did the same with A Confederacy of Dunces. It's probably happened a lot although I can't think of any other examples off the top of my head.

She only wrote 2 books, so you're halfway home :)

Truman Capote created characters based on her in a few of his books and stories, as they grew up together in Monroeville. Dill in TKAM was based on him.

She only wrote 2 books, so you're halfway home :)

Truman Capote created characters based on her in a few of his books and stories, as they grew up together in Monroeville. Dill in TKAM was based on him.

Supposedly there are others in her Alabama attic that may get released now that she has passed. I was so excited for "Go Set a Watchman" and hope that if she does have others that they get published.

I think she was a typical writer in that with the mega success of her first novel, she basically stopped publishing not necessarily writing. She has often said that she never imagined the success of Mocking Bird. I think what is amazing is that she had no idea that in 1960 with the way race relations would go later in the decade that her book would be a symbol of the south and race relations but not in a bad way as she was just recounting her childhood but almost in a wistful way. Her writing had a way of tackling such deep issues but not making you feel like you had to take sides. It was so honest. Gosh, just so few writers I have ever read that could write like that and make me feel that way. A true gift.

Back