Help me understand the Moss situation

6EFINRINGS

Reaction score
I'm trying to understand what the reasons would be for NOT grabbing Randy.. Obviously he would add something to the O, stretch the field, establish a legit Deep threat, etc..

So, why not? Is there something that happened on his way out of town that's NOT known? ALA Asante? I'm sure there's been alot said about it throughout the Planet.. I'm just looking for a synopsis I guess.. Is it possible that BB is too "proud" to admit there's a need for him? I'm baffled..

Count me in as a 'Yes' for Moss's return to NE :toast:

Let's see how the offense does tonight vs the Jets. If we miss an outside threat again, I think I'm leaning more towards Moss.

As Peter King of Sports Illustrated pointed out during halftime of last night’s Maryland-Notre Dame game on NBC, Moss has not burned his bridge back to Foxborough, and Moss has told one veteran member of the Patriots that the Patriots are the only team for which Moss would play.
As a certain Internet hack pointed out in response, Moss has turned down two teams who offered him contracts this season. If the Pats would call Moss, one of the first topics would be the money. It’s believed that Moss is hoping for an annualized rate of $10 million, which with seven weeks left after Monday equates to $4.11 million for the balance of the year. Moss likely would give the Pats a discount, if the phone rings.
Of course, none of this is relevant unless the phone rings. But if the Pats get their collective bell rung on Sunday night, it could be time to throw a Hail Mary by adding a guy who has run under a few of them.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...rned-down-two-teams-would-listen-to-patriots/

NFL_RealUpdates Dov Kleiman

Free-Agent WR Randy Moss reportedly told a veteran <s class="hash">#</s>Patriots member recently he will only come back for the Pats and already turned down two offers.

47 minutes ago

Put me down for "NO". If BB gets rid of a guy in the middle of the year I believe he has a very, very good reason.

The first question I would have: Is Moss still as physically capable as he was even early in the 2010 season (much less as physically capable as 2007, which I strongly doubt)?

Second question: Would BB/O'Brien/Brady be willing to make a significant commitment to practicing the deep/outside routes that Moss MAY (or may not) still be capable of bringing to the table?

I mean, I understand that most folks think, based on their success in 2007, that the Brady-Moss connection is "special" and that there's some sort of "magic" to it. There ain't. As superior as they both are as players, they didn't develop their 2007 elite-level consistency on deep connections without practice - a cubic buttload of practicing ... just ... that.

Both are four years older now and Brady apparently has been having issues with his throwing elbow. He might even be on a pitch-count in practice, for all we know. Deep throws would likely put more strain on that than most others and practicing them would necessarily take reps away from practicing other things.

Perhaps BB will come to feel that a renewed Brady-Moss connection would be decent often enough, even without extensive practice, to make some positive difference. OTOH, the results could be similar to the first four games of last season - or worse.

In their past, both Branch and Ocho had made those tippy-toe, falling out of bounds sideline catches something of a specialty. Both have made at least one of those this season and Brady has missed both of them on those throws at least once apiece. Maybe it would be just as productive for Brady to practice THOSE throws a lot more with the guys he already has.

Defenses would have to cover Randy, possibly double-covering him, which would open up the middle and short routes, allowing NE to play to its strengths with Welker and the TEs. Add the RBs to the mix, and NE would be set up beautifully for PA.

It's worth a shot :thumb:

The first question I would have: Is Moss still as physically capable as he was even early in the 2010 season (much less as physically capable as 2007, which I strongly doubt)?

Second question: Would BB/O'Brien/Brady be willing to make a significant commitment to practicing the deep/outside routes that Moss MAY (or may not) still be capable of bringing to the table?

I mean, I understand that most folks think, based on their success in 2007, that the Brady-Moss connection is "special" and that there's some sort of "magic" to it. There ain't. As superior as they both are as players, they didn't develop their 2007 elite-level consistency on deep connections without practice - a cubic buttload of practicing ... just ... that.

Both are four years older now and Brady apparently has been having issues with his throwing elbow. He might even be on a pitch-count in practice, for all we know. Deep throws would likely put more strain on that than most others and practicing them would necessarily take reps away from practicing other things.

Perhaps BB will come to feel that a renewed Brady-Moss connection would be decent often enough, even without extensive practice, to make some positive difference. OTOH, the results could be similar to the first four games of last season - or worse.

In their past, both Branch and Ocho had made those tippy-toe, falling out of bounds sideline catches something of a specialty. Both have made at least one of those this season and Brady has missed both of them on those throws at least once apiece. Maybe it would be just as productive for Brady to practice THOSE throws a lot more with the guys he already has.

1st question: I don't know. He'd have to be checked out.

2nd: Practice deep routes minimally. The threat of it should be enough. Moss would have to come on board knowing he's not the primary receiver down field, but someone would have to cover him and often it would be the other team's best CB. He'd be a better decoy than Ocho and he'd be at least as good outside the numbers to open the middle.

I suspect the Moss bridge is crossed, however dchester will like this thread.

Just heard Lombardi in response to "needs moar Randy" on NFLN say that "within the Pats building" they firmly believe Ocho will come around.

Very true. But that was over only "Straight cash, homey". Getting rid of Moss midyear couldn't have been over money.

No you're right, perhaps the outburst after the Cincy game had alot to do with it. Maybe Moss broke that spoken agreement between BB and himself about keeping those kinds of things in check? The reason I was thinking about Moss coming back was almost precisely what BeagleBay said.. It seems it would sure open up the middle again.. :shrug:

Defenses would have to cover Randy, possibly double-covering him, which would open up the middle and short routes, allowing NE to play to its strengths with Welker and the TEs. Add the RBs to the mix, and NE would be set up beautifully for PA.

It's worth a shot :thumb:

Not if those defenses know that they can curtail Brady's time to set up and throw by bringing pressure up the middle. It's not simply Brady and Moss who need to practice those plays - the entire offense needs to be involved, especially the Pass-pro schemes/calls.

Maybe Moss would see some devoted coverage for a game or two - if that. But, if the connection isn't any better than early 2010, it ultimately won't improve anything.

Just heard Lombardi in response to "needs moar Randy" on NFLN say that "within the Pats building" they firmly believe Ocho will come around.

And I agree with them. He's trying and he wants to 'come around'.

Yep... I believe if Ocho doesn't contribute it won't be because he doesn't want it bad enough. He clearly does. Maybe even TOO much...which I believe could be the issue hurting him right now.

One TD by Moss per games lost = 1 loss this season, and a tie with Pittsburgh if they went for 2. I think Moss is capable of one TD per game.

Doesn't anyone remember his last year here?

By the time Moss was traded he was not very good. Whether that was due to him losing a step or his attitude is open for discussion. But to me it's a distinction without a difference. Either is less than useless for us. Then or now. It was like the production of Ocho but with the personality of T.O.

Tom was giving up most of his ints that year trying to force balls to Moss. BB was constantly having to blow sunshine up Randy's ass to try to keep his head in the game, and those "discussions" on the sidelines you see now between Ocho and TFB were twice as frequent and animated in Randy's last few months here. There were rumors of tension between Moss and Brady and I believe the rest of the team was getting pretty fed up with it too.

Plus having Moss here was making Bo'B be even more one-dimensional than he gets now, even on his worst days. Plus, teams had figured out how to beat it.

One TD by Moss per games lost = 1 loss this season, and a tie with Pittsburgh if they went for 2. I think Moss is capable of one TD per game.

If Moss guaranteed one more TD per game then he'd have 32 teams clamoring to hand him $12mm a year.

He isn't that good and hasn't been fpr a while.

Back