Horrible Play Calling ONCE AGAIn by Josh McDaniels

patswinagain

Reaction score
Bring back Charlie Weiss. Josh was so over his head agqainst Denver using the running backs incorrectly and called plays with no correlation to what down it was or the yards involved.

Against Indy the refs were bad and Faulk who would be so awesome if he wasn't one of the worst fumblers for running backs found a new shortcoming in missing two gimmie catches that he should have had with ease. Faulk was always great at catching missing nothing in the past like Wiggins and Pass.

However McDaniels is never mentioned for being a poor coordinator yet he continues to get second guessed by every crowd I have been around watching the games.

Pats were doing PERFECT, crushing Indy with the run setting an attitude and playing percentage football that McDaniels has no clue of. Charlie played percentage football and rarely hurt the team by a bad call, perhaps 3 in a year which is near perfection.

We try for so many deep balls, and pressing Brady to make needless plays when we were kicking their butts.

Instead of smart ball we went Pop Warner and threw the long pass. Why????? Everything was working and we were hitting hard. Scoring first was so important but percentage ball scores points. Why did we stop running when we were still in the third quarter?

Poor play calling caused more forced errors by Tom and the receivers.

I guess against Indy and pass teams Harrison is our MVP on defense. The secondary was lost until the end. Amazing with all the mistakes and bad calls we only lost by 7. No big deal for we can play just as well at Indy indoors as we play at home based on our current home record.

I like our chances in a rematch if Harrison is healthy. Hope there are some serious secondary players available in the drafe but despite our great drafting in so many areas we miss out on any quality players.

When Rodney left and Wilson who despite being ineffective at times is a great hitter, Indy receivers, tight ends roamed at will.

With 1:30 left we had a great chance of tying it up but we wouldn't be in these messes if McDaniels played the percentage plays more often.

The dink and dunks won us some critical come from behind games and three Super Bowls and all the bs about Brady and Billy yet unless we give Brady the chance to call his own plays I have no faith in our playoff chances ONLY because of McDaniels.

If Charlie was here we would be looking at another Super Bowl.
The Indy game shows we need a young shut down Corner and stellar safety or two.

Anyways outside of Faulk I blame the play calling for all the forced errors more than Brady and the receivers.

Anyone else have a problem with McDaniels play calling and the way he uses Maroney when he should use Dillon or vice versa at times?

Yup, I can't understand why he called those four pass interceptions.

patswinagain on 11-08-2006 at 04:02 PM said:

Anyone else have a problem with McDaniels play calling and the way he uses Maroney when he should use Dillon or vice versa at times?
patswinagain.........

although we are all frustrated by the Broncos and Colts game play-calling let me suggest this:

do we really think that McDaniels and Pees as O & D coordinators are coaching in a vacuum?

do we really think the game prep for the week leading up to each contest does not flow either up to or down from BB as the final arbiter?

do we really think when we see BB on the sidelines not frantically yammering stuff into his headset that he is just a disinterested 3rd party to the proceedings?

until I am told otherwise, I believe that the OC & DC must defend game planning to or receive game planning from BB for each game.

BTW, I do not single you out in this response as much as I have seen others pose the same question and have now decided to throw in my .02

I totally agree about the play calling, even that long pass on the first series. What were they thinking? Imagine if we go back to the philosphy we had when Antown Smith was running the ball. We used the short passing game like additional running plays. Sure you need to air one out once in awhile and set things up, but if you can grind it out, then by all means, grind away.

That said, I think the team can learn form this and I see improvement every week, even last week. The recivers and Brady are getting better. The running game is getting better. The defense is getting better. Special teams need some work, but they'll improve too.

We have to peak in January, not November.

We'll get another chance.

That's called forcing the ball, stacking the line, no running

patfanallan on 11-08-2006 at 04:10 PM said:
Yup, I can't understand why he called those four pass interceptions.

Shouldn't have put the team in position for interceptions. We were killing them off the line with the run, two extra plays and we would have had the percentage and 3 or 7 points, more likely 7 with their total domination. We would of scored first and wouldn't have worked from behind so much, and had we run more the defense which has something to do with Brady pressured to throw the balls off just a bit to allow the interceptions.

PatsWin2002 on 11-08-2006 at 04:21 PM said:
Charlie Weis isn't walking through that door.....

I've been a season ticker holder since 81 and Charlie by far made the best calls. But unfortunately I don't understand a few things.

Why in last years playoff game against Denver didn't Billy B put Flutie in. Sure Tom can make the comebacks but it was so obvious by Tom's face it was not to be had. I know Doug from way back and you at least have to try.

Two, Bill B said they have to coach better and it's all coming mostly from offensive coaching, he's sure smart enough to know so why isn't he fixing the issues with Josh? I though he was cured based on the Viking game but everyone, everywhere i go are complaining including my 80 year old dad so where's Bill on the fix?

I agree a bit with the questions about the playcalling, but riddle me this, batman (hehe).....

How much did the playcalling of McDaniels or Belichick have to do with Brady's stupid pass to no Patriots in the first drive? He should have simply not thrown that ball...he gave the ball directly to the Colts, and gave them even more wind in their sails.

But I'm okay with it, because Brady is human, and he made a mistake, albeit a mental mistake. He's earned enough capital to mess up once in a while....

But boy, the Pats sure were running the ball well Sunday night! That was a real cool thing, a thing of rockin' sockin' beauty. I know it was such a waste to lose that game, but I'm feeling better about it as the days go on.....

Re: Re: Horrible Play Calling ONCE AGAIn by Josh McDaniels

RoadGrader on 11-08-2006 at 04:40 PM said:
patswinagain.........

although we are all frustrated by the Broncos and Colts game play-calling let me suggest this:

do we really think that McDaniels and Pees as O & D coordinators are coaching in a vacuum?

do we really think the game prep for the week leading up to each contest does not flow either up to or down from BB as the final arbiter?

do we really think when we see BB on the sidelines not frantically yammering stuff into his headset that he is just a disinterested 3rd party to the proceedings?

until I am told otherwise, I believe that the OC & DC must defend game planning to or receive game planning from BB for each game.

BTW, I do not single you out in this response as much as I have seen others pose the same question and have now decided to throw in my .02

I agree with you totally and that makes it that much more frustrating. Why isn't Billy fixing the dink and dunk, percentage play. It is obvious to any football lover or former players that there is a serious offensive play calling problem which is also forcing Tom to force the ball, playing from behind versus ahead and why Bill doesn't work on this or why he sat silently with a lost look on his face without using Flutie during the Denver game last year is beyond me. Tom is great at comebacks but it was obvious he was so frustrated, and some days the best don't have it and if you are playing to win a playoff game then take a chance for a spark from Flutie. We had nothing to lose. Billy B gets so outcoached and dies without changes against Denver except the cleaver safety two years ago. Can't figure out why?

Hey dude

Steve1 on 11-08-2006 at 05:48 PM said:
I agree a bit with the questions about the playcalling, but riddle me this, batman (hehe).....

How much did the playcalling of McDaniels or Belichick have to do with Brady's stupid pass to no Patriots in the first drive? He should have simply not thrown that ball...he gave the ball directly to the Colts, and gave them even more wind in their sails.

But I'm okay with it, because Brady is human, and he made a mistake, albeit a mental mistake. He's earned enough capital to mess up once in a while....

But boy, the Pats sure were running the ball well Sunday night! That was a real cool thing, a thing of rockin' sockin' beauty. I know it was such a waste to lose that game, but I'm feeling better about it as the days go on.....

Why call a low percentage shot versus the great success of huge yardage running the ball? Sure Tom shouldn't have thrown it but if McDaniels wasn't so frickin' "??" with two more plays we could have been SAFE and play the percentage, sure move of scoring and driving the ball down their throats.

Curious how the Hoag man thinks of the play calling, I've been surprised he hasn't brought it up.

Another question might be, is it 'playcalling' that hurts, or just the execution (or lack thereof) that is the culprit?

patswinagain on 11-08-2006 at 04:46 PM said:
Why in last years playoff game against Denver didn't Billy B put Flutie in. Sure Tom can make the comebacks but it was so obvious by Tom's face it was not to be had. I know Doug from way back and you at least have to try.

Holy hell... is that you, Uncle Vic? I was wondering where that guy had gone into hiding at...

EXECUTION ... The playcalling is perfect ... do u think bob sanders or that rookie bethea for the colts thought that they'd be trying to defend ben watson for a touchdown ... luck would not have it fellow fans. That is really all that can be said. If that ball was down six inches, we woulda put seven on the board. I will admit, i was a little miffed about the lack of running the ball but I think he was trying to save Maroney's life because bob sanders came flying in their like a bet out of hell over the linemen trying to kill him. All I can say ... we will get ours ... That bad luck, fluke picks, and horrible ref's won't stand the next time ... don't forget ... we got the best coach in football, the coldest quarterback to ever wear #12, and the Patriots logo on our uniform.

Pats receivers

grogsox on 11-08-2006 at 04:54 PM said:
I totally agree about the play calling, even that long pass on the first series. What were they thinking? Imagine if we go back to the philosphy we had when Antown Smith was running the ball. We used the short passing game like additional running plays. Sure you need to air one out once in awhile and set things up, but if you can grind it out, then by all means, grind away.

That said, I think the team can learn form this and I see improvement every week, even last week. The recivers and Brady are getting better. The running game is getting better. The defense is getting better. Special teams need some work, but they'll improve too.

We have to peak in January, not November.

We'll get another chance.

I like the receivers, hope with some of the poor teams coming up they can all get into the swing and action!

Play calling

bruschi'smyhero on 11-08-2006 at 11:33 PM said:
EXECUTION ... The playcalling is perfect ... do u think bob sanders or that rookie bethea for the colts thought that they'd be trying to defend ben watson for a touchdown ... luck would not have it fellow fans. That is really all that can be said. If that ball was down six inches, we woulda put seven on the board. I will admit, i was a little miffed about the lack of running the ball but I think he was trying to save Maroney's life because bob sanders came flying in their like a bet out of hell over the linemen trying to kill him. All I can say ... we will get ours ... That bad luck, fluke picks, and horrible ref's won't stand the next time ... don't forget ... we got the best coach in football, the coldest quarterback to ever wear #12, and the Patriots logo on our uniform.

Play calling is HORRIBLE with no thought to percentage play or even how to punish and gain momentum. Execution of poor game plans is no good. It is amazing we still had the chance to tie the game after such horrible play, poor calls, missed catchs from great throws and then a few interceptions off a few slightly off passes.

Both

Since67 on 11-08-2006 at 09:13 PM said:
Another question might be, is it 'playcalling' that hurts, or just the execution (or lack thereof) that is the culprit?

Poor play calling and low percentage play calls. Dink and Dunk got us 3 Super Bowls. Despite any thought of execution, you need to put your team in the best chances to win as Charlie did and Josh, does not. Bad use of which running back is in the game on several occasions too. Dillon is the power back not Maroney.

Re: Both

patswinagain on 11-09-2006 at 10:42 AM said:
Poor play calling and low percentage play calls. Dink and Dunk got us 3 Super Bowls. Despite any thought of execution, you need to put your team in the best chances to win as Charlie did and Josh, does not. Bad use of which running back is in the game on several occasions too. Dillon is the power back not Maroney.
Out of curiosity, what was the play call that ended the first drive?

Last year, I didn't like the defensive play calling the first half of the year. As usual, there were new personnel. Mangini didn't seem to want to use the full defensive package, staying with fairly conservative base packages. When Bruschi came back, they finally started putting in the blitzes and exotic stuff that generated a few turnovers and kept the opponent off balance. They became a lot more aggressive.

I'm getting the same feeling this year, except it is the offense that has gone astray, and they are too aggressive and fancy rather than not aggressive enough. They have the tools. I think Belichick is just being too free in letting a new coordinator find himself. It is getting time and past for the offense to return to its core, or it's core plus an exciting second running back.

This playcalling is as much on BB as it is on McDaniels. Not running enough and calling a bunch of trick plays was silly and unnecessary. That goes to gameplanning as much as in-the-moment playcalling (which BB has some say over, as well, anyway).

It was one poor game. Let's give it some time.

Back